Which airlines do you think will go under this year?

Joshua949

I know this is not the best topic to start. A very depressing topic and even though you really can't predict which airlines will go under if any will go under, but which airlines do you think might go out of business or file for bankrupty?

I'm going to have to go with the obvious one, U.S. Air. It's a shame, that they will be no more, but who knows they might come out of this. I hope so, but it doesn't look good.
frown.gif

There won't be anymore CH-11s for any of the larger carriers, except for possibly UAIR slipping back into BK. However, I don't believe UAIR will go CH-7 in 2004. They may sell some assets, possibly some slots, gates and a wholly owned subsidiary, but I do believe that UAIR will still be with us in 2005, albeit as a smaller entity.

Well lets seriously hope that Delta is around and for a very long time. I do enjoy my paycheck.

But seriously have heard that we have more capital on hand then any other US airline.

Matthew

[ QUOTE ]
Well lets seriously hope that Delta is around and for a very long time. I do enjoy my paycheck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Search for "Delta" and "bankruptcy" on Google, there have been quite a few articles lately about a possible Delta BK. Delta always survived by having good customer service and low costs. Unfortunatley, now they have neither.

Max, what do you fly for delta?

From what i have seen at other websites, people predict US Airways, United, and American...Why United and American i dont know, is there anyone here who thinks that?

People that say United and American like the folks at airliners.net are simply talking out of there arse. Nothing more.
smirk.gif

From what I've seen United has done a pretty good job while in Chap. 11, lowered costs without a big whine, secured the 2 billion for chap. 11 exit... etc, etc.

Can someone add to that?
smile.gif

I've only flown United a couple of times, but I had a very good experiance with them... I would like to see them stick around.

Delta has some of the lowest costs in the industry, right now! Their costs are less than AA's, after all the AA concessions.

Delta's new chief is throwing around the "B" word to try to get concessions out of the pilots. That really chaps my hide. Part of me hoped that Grinstein would be better for DLs employees than Leo was, but I've been around long enough to know better. They're all the same. Negotiate in the media, convince the general public (and the other employee groups) that pilots are overpaid and that the airline will go under unless the pilots gut their contract.

Grrrrrrrr
mad.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Delta has some of the lowest costs in the industry, right now! Their costs are less than AA's, after all the AA concessions.

Delta's new chief is throwing around the "B" word to try to get concessions out of the pilots. That really chaps my hide. Part of me hoped that Grinstein would be better for DLs employees than Leo was, but I've been around long enough to know better. They're all the same. Negotiate in the media, convince the general public (and the other employee groups) that pilots are overpaid and that the airline will go under unless the pilots gut their contract.

Grrrrrrrr
mad.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, you saved me a reply!

Just like 1996. Same old sh*t, different day.

[ QUOTE ]

Grrrrrrrr

[/ QUOTE ] That's what I've heard too - and it pisses me off.....all because they want to be "competitive" with the other airlines... but the other airlines aren't doing so good and that's no reason for hte DL pilots to accept any concessions... if DL's doing just fine, they shoudln't have to make any adjustments. If anything, DL needs to maintain where they're at so that the other ailing airlines can get back to where they were and use DL pilots as an example of steadfastness....

I think US Air might go under. It's hard to say if United will go under or not. Truly, I don't think United will go under. I think American, Continental, Delta, Northwest, along with your LCC's & regionals should be ok.

I don't even think USAir will go under if they made some changes.

But trying to save a company based off of the backs of the employees worked fantastic for TWA... Oh... wait...

It worked for Pan Am!! Oh, shoot...

Braniff! It worked for... uhhh... agh!

Perhaps it's business plan and leadership? A la Continental?

And what do you think will happen, Doug, after Bethune leaves? If there was one CEO that I admired, it's him. The way he backs his employees -- think there'd be any stories about any of the other airline CEOs peeling off five c-notes and telling an angry pax to get the [hell] off his plane -- is just great.

Bethune got it. He understood that it wasn't the execs in the corner office flying the planes and fixing them and taking care of the passengers. I think that mindset is so hard to find these days.

I think if CAL was smart, which I think they are, they'd have learned well from Gordon about how to run a company.

The second that your employees aren't behind you or don't trust you, it's time to step down for the good of the corporation.

Leadership is extraordinarily hard to find. But the second that your employees respect and trust you, you have a galvanized army willing to go to battle for you.

And when the leader (notice I didn't say "CEO") and the employees are in sync, the corporation is absolutely unstoppable

[ QUOTE ]
Max, what do you fly for delta?

From what i have seen at other websites, people predict US Airways, United, and American...Why United and American i dont know, is there anyone here who thinks that?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha! I wish I flew fer Delta. They are my no.#1 choice fer airlines when I get hired. I have my PPL and about 175-180 hrs. and working on my IR but OH. is great fer flying during the winter.

But I work fer Delta as a ramp agent in CVG tho I am cross trained as a CSA. Seriously considerin becomin a CSA FT cause OH. weather in the dead of winter is no joke fer this AZ. boy.

That being if I stay here and don't move to PHX.

Matthew

Delta's a good airline, but by far we're not immune from the 'trials and tribulations' of corporate America's "benevolence"
smile.gif

Back