Which airlines do you think will go under this year?

Don't jinx us Doug
laugh.gif

Matthew

Oh, I know!

BTW, on a side note, where's Everett (or whatever he said his name was?)

Continental is really a great airline. They most remind me of DL when it comes to there routes and there equpiment. Also I have alot of respect for there CEO which is something you don't hear alot these days.

Matthew

I have to say of all the airlines I hope United and Delta, are with us for many years to come. United has that great "from the cockpit" thing on the in flight radio(after price that is what gets me to fly United). Plus, they seem to do well in small markets, when American Eagle and America West Express cant make it, United Express does(maybe this has something to do with their situation).

There must be something I am missing when it comes to Delta’s costs. Delta’s CASM from their 10-Q through Sept. 2003 is 10.21. AMR CASM through the same period, according to their 10-Q is 10.12. Of course, SWA, for the same period has a CASM of 7.51. Yes, Delta certainly lost less money then AMR, however, according to their quarterly reports their costs are high.

Hey Doug why doesn't Delta have a live feed from the cockpit. That is a real big selling point to me and others for flying United.

Of course I live in a city that has a huge Delta hub and also work for said airline so can fly free so doesn't make sense for me to fly anyone cept DL.

Any hope Doug on Delta getting a live feed from the cockpit?

Matthew

[ QUOTE ]
There must be something I am missing when it comes to Delta’s costs. Delta’s CASM from their 10-Q through Sept. 2003 is 10.21. AMR CASM through the same period, according to their 10-Q is 10.12.

[/ QUOTE ]

One of the factors that I believe you are missing is that Delta is the only major airline that incorporates RJ CASM with it's overall CASM. Since RJ CASM is significantly higher than mainline CASM it skews the numbers. A conservative estimate of the effect this has on DAL's CASM is that it raises it by approximately .5cents.

IOW Delta mainline CASM is 10.21-.5=9.71, AMR's CASM is still 10.12.

[ QUOTE ]
I don't even think USAir will go under if they made some changes.

But trying to save a company based off of the backs of the employees worked fantastic for TWA... Oh... wait...

It worked for Pan Am!! Oh, shoot...

Braniff! It worked for... uhhh... agh!

Perhaps it's business plan and leadership? A la Continental?

[/ QUOTE ]

You do realize that Continental has some of the lowest paid employees in the industry? You also realize that Continental declared bankruptcy twice during the early 90's in order to beat concessions out of its employees?

It's kind of funny how people complain about taking concessions and poor pilot pay and then they hold Continental up as the poster child when CO's pilots have been the industry laggards for almost a decade now!!!

I'll give Bethune credit, he has fooled a lot of people and got rich doing it.

[ QUOTE ]
I know this is not the best topic to start. A very depressing topic and even though you really can't predict which airlines will go under if any will go under, but which airlines do you think might go out of business or file for bankrupty?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hopefully none, you are talking about somebody's job, whether it is a pilot, a mechanic, or even CSR.

Gah! Nothing like getting berated by one of your users at 10:49am in the morning, WOW!

Just of curosity what happens to the small regionals if the major airline goes under, like for example if Delta went under would that be the end for ASA and Comair as well?

What happens to the Regionals?

What happens to Regional Airlines when their major affiliate goes under . . . what type of shockwave does it have . . . are the regionals likely to go under as well?

[ QUOTE ]
Oh, I know!

BTW, on a side note, where's Everett (or whatever he said his name was?)

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL I'll have to tell CORRIE that you have been wondering where he is.

He will really get a kick outa knowing that you were thinkin bout him and missed him posting on here.

He really, really respects you and Flychicaga.

You cause your the website founder and a Delta pilot. Flychicaga cause well you know....

But ur right he hasn't posted ina long while he has been trying to find out about flight attendent hiring at DL and has been busy with GLBT events here @ school.

So now he will have to prolly come back in his normal dramatic fashion ie with a bang.... you all have been warned.
tongue.gif

Matthew

Back