When your CFI turns into a car salesman?

JGriffis

Ok I have this CFI and everything was going great, I flew when I had money, studied when I didn't on my own, etc. I told him what days and times I could fly, mostly when funds allowed me to, then after a couple of lessons this guy calls me a dozen times a day, schedules me and calls me and says I have us scheduled Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday...etc. I made this clear to him from the start, why is he doing this to me? It's like he turned into a car salesman and is all about $ now?

Well, some CFIs are like that. I'd sit him down and let him know that I'm the scheduler, and he's the flight instructor!!

In his defense, he's probably got both his interests and yours in mind. He's probably giving you the opportunity to schedule before everyone else does!

I know there may be some situations where you may need to meet with your instructor, but not 3 days in a row for ground school!

[ QUOTE ]
Well too he's all into this groundschool (ppl) that costs me $30/hr and i'm not all into that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I'd talk to him and just let him know that you'd like to do the groundschool on your own. He should be cool with that, and if he's not, tell him that you're going to do it anyway!

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I'd talk to him and just let him know that you'd like to do the groundschool on your own.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love students like that. You study up and we'll go fly, then hit ground on things you don't understand.

Sounds like the guy is trying to organize himself and his students. Let him know the score but don't be too hard on him
smile.gif

He could be getting pressure from his boss. Where I used to instruct, my boss would demand that I called students frequently to make sure they kept scheduling. Drove me (and them) nuts, so I just refused to do it unless I felt it was necessary.

My advise, Stop flying until you have the time and the money.
If you do this, the training will be more effective and less expensive.
wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
My advise, Stop flying until you have the time and the money.
If you do this, the training will be more effective and less expensive.
wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I really disagree with that one. If I had done that, I'd still be waiting to start my private pilot training. I paid lesson by lesson, paycheck to paycheck and I still got my ticket in less than 50 hours.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I really disagree with that one. If I had done that, I'd still be waiting to start my private pilot training. I paid lesson by lesson, paycheck to paycheck and I still got my ticket in less than 50 hours.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you were paying paycheck to paycheck, I assume that you were flying at least every other week. Im talking about taking long breaks between lessons. Ask anyone the longer it takes you to finish a rating (because of money, sick, etc.). You have to go over the same material, therefore it will cost you more money.
wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you were paying paycheck to paycheck, I assume that you were flying at least every other week. Im talking about taking long breaks between lessons. Ask anyone the longer it takes you to finish a rating (because of money, sick, etc.). You have to go over the same material, therefore it will cost you more money.
wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I had quite a few times when I couldn't fly for more than a week or two. My first logbook entry was 10/12/98 and I took my checkride on 4/1/00. I had a whole lot of stuff going on, was on active duty in the Marine Corps, married, child, trying to solve world peace, etc, etc. Flying every day, every week, or sometimes every month, wasn't always possible.

At one point, I think I didn't fly for like 2 months or more. But I still did it. That was the only way I could do it! Did I have to have 90 hours of instruction to finish? Nope! It all depends on the individual. If you want it, you can have it. If you don't, then somebody else will take it.

What did I do when I couldn't fly? I played Flight Sim...
grin.gif

(No, really, I did - And I still do!!!)

I strongly advise students to fly twice a week MINIMUM or it will cost you a lot more money by the time the license is done.

I am also one that flies better with less frequency. I used to fly 4 times a week. My lessons didn't stick. Switched to 3 and they still didn't stick. Finally just flew twice a week then once week and alternated the twice a week then once a week.

I secound the fact that the guy may be getting pressure from his boss. I remember working at an FBO which hounded the CFI's to schedule their students.(airplanes don't make money tied down on the ramp!)
I got pretty sick of it so I would just pencil a student in for a slot and that morning cancel them out and make up some dumb excuse like they where ill. Cost the guy more cash in the long run, CFI's kept reserving airplane time that was never going to be used.........

Back