When you drink and fly ...

This is a 41 year old?!

KathrynsReport.jpg

And he claimed to have 17,000 hours? Whaaaat
It's possible. Both me and my buddy (whos a captain at WN) started flying at 17 and have about that. To say were both burnt tf out is an understatement. We're both 42.

I’m curious on others opinion on this. When that controller in LAS was drunk and I expressed a similar opinion, I was lambasted with how she needs help not jail etc. nevermind that she had just finished a mandatory alcohol rehab program.

Again. . .punishment for an offense? Good discussion question especially for the first offense. This guy? Jail time. Not his first alcohol offense. How long? Further discussion.

I think that was a “typo”; his ABC was .288. His is clearly an alcohol blood content.

P.S. Years ago, I ran across a guy that had a .37 BAC. It was his 5th DUI/DWI! He had already spent 3 years in as a “habitual violator”. Had 7 open bottles of hard liquor in his truck. The guy held his own, except for the slurred speech…..you wouldn’t know from a distance.

My wife once got a plea deal for a guy on his 19th dui arrest that included no jail/prison time. It did include a substance abuse treatment and probation.

This is a 41 year old?!

KathrynsReport.jpg

And he claimed to have 17,000 hours? Whaaaat
Actually yes he was he started flying early, owned the citation as well as a tail dragger.... hired very young as a fo on the 737 than flew many years as a captain for a 121 charter operator. And yeah 41 he used to be a very heavy guy and lost a lot of weight. As a person he was a great individual as my captain for well over 10 years I flew with him and never once saw this behavior... sure the guy could drink on off days. But never once did anyone see anything on the line. All of us who know him were shocked by this. He was always by the book and always on the side of safety in the 121 world other than he always wanted to make sure we were on time or early. 17000 hours seems low since he started flying in his teens and was about 18 years at said 737 operator

I'm not defending the guy, he deserves what's coming to him. I was just pointing out his odd explanation as not believable, if I woke up in a burning airplane I'd just crashed I would've been doing everything I could to get out and my exit would not include a visit to galley. Maybe he stopped to pee in the lav before he got out too.
No it's clear he was drinking before or in-flight the excuse is an old wives tale saying you say you drank after the accident you may loose your ticket but can beat the court case. In this case it appears he plead out for a relatively low ball plea. That really isn't much more than a slap on the wrist.

Actually yes he was he started flying early, owned the citation as well as a tail dragger.... hired very young as a fo on the 737 than flew many years as a captain for a 121 charter operator. And yeah 41 he used to be a very heavy guy and lost a lot of weight. As a person he was a great individual as my captain for well over 10 years I flew with him and never once saw this behavior... sure the guy could drink on off days. But never once did anyone see anything on the line. All of us who know him were shocked by this. He was always by the book and always on the side of safety in the 121 world other than he always wanted to make sure we were on time or early. 17000 hours seems low since he started flying in his teens and was about 18 years at said 737 operator
17000 seems low? complete BS 'new member'

No it's clear he was drinking before or in-flight the excuse is an old wives tale saying you say you drank after the accident you may loose your ticket but can beat the court case. In this case it appears he plead out for a relatively low ball plea. That really isn't much more than a slap on the wrist.
It reminds me of the story I heard about a Lear pilot that went off the end of rwy 8 at KBUR and ended up crossing Hollywood Way before grinding to a halt. Apparently that pilot got out of the wreckage and went directly into the adjacent liquor store, got a bottle of some sort and started walking. I don't know if that story is entirely true.

It reminds me of the story I heard about a Lear pilot that went off the end of rwy 8 at KBUR and ended up crossing Hollywood Way before grinding to a halt. Apparently that pilot got out of the wreckage and went directly into the adjacent liquor store, got a bottle of some sort and started walking. I don't know if that story is entirely true.

There are several iterations of this story, but two come to mind: This one was documented and I'm not sure if they ever determined the pilot to be intoxicated at the time of the event.

Then there is the Tommy Lee's helicopter pilot that has had a couple encounters with LEOs, and he did hit the bottle after landing in what was believed to be an attempt to obfuscate the field sobriety tests. Unfortunately only tabloids picked up on the story:

I'm not really up on my Cherokees anymore, but I'm pretty sure that's not a Dakota or even an Archer. Warrior? If so that's a LONG flight. You'd be bored, too. Don't judge!

I'm personally aware of several cases where this was done following a motor vehicle accident. "I'm sorry, officer, I just had to calm my nerves after the accident. No, I had nothing to drink prior."

And it worked a couple of times.

"Seesing was arrested on suspicion of a DWI and for possessing a controlled substance, firearm, and drug paraphernalia"

Shouldn't be PWI ?? :p

Never mind, he did drive on the highway

Well that's two strikes against his "abilities"

"The 35-year-old had a student pilot certificate, which was issued in January 2020, but was not allowed to have passengers"

Back