When will the cost of flying go down?

You mean like "Gold Kit on a Tahoe and Call it an ESCALADE"? :)

One day, actually, I'd like to buy a share of an airplane. But even that's cost-prohibitive for the most part :(

Okay well new motto I guess:

If its spent on airplanes, its not a waste of money!

Thank you for your responses.

Flying has always been an upper middle class and up game and that isn't going to change. Even if you go back to the days where it cost you say, $4K to get a private ticket, how many people making $30K a year can afford that?

Probably more than you think.

I remember the good old days when I used to be able to fill up my car for 25 cents, and buy three big macs for 10 cents, and rent a 2009 Pilatus for 125/hr wet w/ instructor. O wait...

It is called inflation...as the consumer the only thing you can do is not purchase it. Or do the American thing of pulling down a 70k loan you can not afford and open up three credit cards and max em out for flight training and then complain when your 30k car gets repo'ed when you can't afford your 200k worth of debt.

Or, more retrospective of our own community, you can not afford the $250/mo crashpad expense.

It seemed to be relatively affordable for so many years, why is it so expensive suddenly? Just gas prices... or something else?

When I started flying in 1983 it took me 15 hrs at my minimum wage job to earn the $50 I needed to buy an hour in a C-150. Today 15 hrs at minimum wage will net you about $100, which you can still trade for an hour in a Cessna 150 (if you can find one). The cost of flying is still about the same, it has a different dollar figure attached to it.

Probably more than you think.

True that...

I've known a few adults with good jobs who rent their friends guesthouse so they can afford to own a plane.

That said, the cost of everything seems to have exceeded the cost of what people can pay for it - so they accumulate huge debts to do it. Maybe a credit crunch will be a good thing to realign these forces.

When I started flying in 1983 it took me 15 hrs at my minimum wage job to earn the $50 I needed to buy an hour in a C-150. Today 15 hrs at minimum wage will net you about $100, which you can still trade for an hour in a Cessna 150 (if you can find one). The cost of flying is still about the same, it has a different dollar figure attached to it.

Thanks for that :D

It seemed to be relatively affordable for so many years, why is it so expensive suddenly? Just gas prices... or something else?

My dad and I rented a Beech Skipper for 25$/hour if you bought a 10 hour block around a decade ago. It was old, but we flew it all over Arizona and the coast. I know costs have gone up, but what is mostly responsible for it?

Is there some trend or factor here I'm missing. I'm not in the industry so I'm curious what you're guys take on it is. I simply notice that in AZ, most planes cost around 120$/hour with the bottom being around 90$/hour... What happened? Or is it just me?

Insert random user fee comment here.

Cost have gone up period. Today the fuel alone for the skipper would be more then $25 an hour, or more. 100ll 10 years ago was running $1.50 a gallon. I remember when around 99/2000 it jumped up to a little over $2 a gallon and the guy i rented from was complaining.
Take into concideration maintenance. the engine alone will require $7.50 per hour. now your
fuel $29 hour (cheapest fuel in my area, 3.50)
$2 per for an annual (figure 30 hours per month on the plane, and a cheap $1000 dollar annual)
insurance $14 per hour (same 30 hour usage a month)
another $2 per hour for oil changes (based on every 25 hours double that if you are paying some one to change the oil)
now we are up to $54.50 and we have not put in fixed cost like facilites, preventive maintenace, repair work.
and what about "profit" for the business? you dont go into business to NOT make a profit.
The cost are unbelievable. I just changed a prop control cable in a mooney m20j $500 just for the cable!
The hardware for an exhuast system (bolt rusted through) Clamp, 3 bolts three springs and a couple other SMALL pieces $400. Because the Government has to bless evey piece(and we really want more government in our life...ok, i will save that for the lav).
I wish there was a 25hr plane to be had.

You mean like "Gold Kit on a Tahoe and Call it an ESCALADE"? :)

One day, actually, I'd like to buy a share of an airplane. But even that's cost-prohibitive for the most part :(

Yeah, your average high end SUV like that goes for $60K plus. No reason a solid massed produced airplane can't be put together for that much. Honda can mass produce a Civic that never breaks down and still feels sold after 100,000 miles why can't they throw some wings on something like that?

Yeah, your average high end SUV like that goes for $60K plus. No reason a solid massed produced airplane can't be put together for that much. Honda can mass produce a Civic that never breaks down and still feels sold after 100,000 miles why can't they throw some wings on something like that?
FAA certification. It gobbles money.

FAA certification. It gobbles money.

Well yeah, that is kinda what I was getting at. The price of making the plane is probably 25%
of the price they actually end up charing because of all the other paperwork/insurance things that are involved. I am thinking there has to be a way to eliminate all of that stuff and just pay for the plane.

Well yeah, that is kinda what I was getting at. The price of making the plane is probably 25%
of the price they actually end up charing because of all the other paperwork/insurance things that are involved. I am thinking there has to be a way to eliminate all of that stuff and just pay for the plane.

Until people stop sueing cessna for crashing their own airplanes, even if the pilot is at fault and found at fault by the FAA, I doubt costs will be going down too much in the near future.

Cost of insurance, maintenance, fuel....take your pick.

Maintenance and insurance (primarily due to our sue happy society) are probably the biggest two. Fuel hasn't gone up quite enough to cause the huge leap in rental costs that have occurred over the past 10 years.

One thing the FAA could do is streamline the certification process and/or make parts substitution easier, particularly for older aircraft. It is absolutely ridiculous that a part for a certified airplane costs 2-5 times as much as the EXACT same part as someone would install in an experimental. There is just absolutely no excuse for it except that the guys selling the certified parts have a legally protected monopoly and that the FAA and Congress won't do anything to reign in our badly broken tort system.

I was paying $48/hr for a 150 back in 2002. I agree though, it has become next to impossible to find anyone renting a 2 seat airplane anymore, unless it is a DA-20 or other similar new or nearly new airplane.

I don't really care about the age of the airplane as long as it is maintained well and is safe. That's why I don't really understand why some of these schools and clubs just fall all over themselves to buy these new airplanes. IMHO, they're just limiting their overall market, driving people such as myself to seek out clubs offering more affordable aircraft.

I'm paying $65/hr for a 152, $84-$100/hr for a 172 (up to SP)....that's not exactly expensive.

Before I even say it I know what JHugz is going to say.. but at skypark you can still rent 150s for around 49 a hour wet.. so there are still deals out there.. as far as owning airplanes... build yourself a experimental.. you cant beat the cost.. we own both cherokee 140 and KR2 built by my uncle.. the KR2 burns around 5 gallons a hour crusing around 160mph.. you cant beat that.. and it is dirt cheap to operate since we built it we can do all the maintence on it.. with the help of a family friend who is a A&P.... so there is still ways to keep cost down.. i'm all for experimental homebuilts.. i would never consider buying a factory airplane again.. you cant get the same bang for the buck

Back