When is it appropriate to grease a landing?

AngelFuree

You tell me. :banghead: I have no idea what landing performance can be expected of a 737 but this guy is just asking for trouble. Why would you ever want to grease a landing by eating up half the runway when it's this short? I nominate this pilot for a future Darwin award.

This is MHTG, Toncontin Int'l, for the few who may not recognize it.
[yt]QjImGftq_5s[/yt]

Foreground: "Oh my gosh, he landed at the midpoint!"
Background: "It's that he's not used to it! Haha"
Foreground: "Wow, listen to me, I thought he was gonna go (over the cliff)."

Looks more like he floated to me

On a side note that looks like a pretty fun approach!!
He floated in an attempt to grease a landing. I've flown with a few guys who can't avoid doing it.....I guess it's one of my pet peeves, eating up the whole runway in an attempt to put in a greaser.

My point is....if you've taken up half of this short runway, why not go around? Again, I don't know what that plane is capable of....just speaking from the looks of it. He almost didn't make the end.

Yeah, gonna have to side with wheels on this one.

After the initial flare, when "they" realize they're still floating I see a hint of lowering the nose.

Now, I don't know about the 737, but landing on the nose on any transport category airplane can't be too good. As they continue to float, in an effort to protect the nose they obviously increase back pressure to hold the nose off, but I wouldn't say they were trying to grease it on.

At least that's my thought.

And on the other end of the spectrum...

It can be done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loyKfeV7NFg

These are actually two different vids. Enjoy.

<object width="425" height="344">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IBiksa9E8ww&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></object>

Flying the Lear 55 into a 5000' runway, you can kiss a greaser goodbye unless you get super lucky. Unfortunately, some individuals I flew with didn't comprehend that. When you pass the 2000' marker and the PF is still tugging back on the yoke to hold 'er off a little longer, my pants start retreating into somewhere they shouldn't. There were several instances that I grabbed for the proverbial "oh poo" handle as I thought we were going off the end.

Cool video. Looks like an old repainted Airways 73...and according to the date, it's the year 20,009. The future, Conan?

That would be some serious pucker factor.

I think they floated, especially since they did the left-right roll test of "how high are my gear and can i get them on the ground"

:)

I don't think he was going for the grease. He had to carry extra speed for that turn right before final, and did not lose the energy yet.

He may have greased it on only to throw everyone forward when he slammed on the brakes.

I only float on purpose when there is a nice long runway and we are sure no one is right behind us. Otherwise, get it down, slow it down and get off.

"When is it appropriate to grease a landing?"

when your only option is to land in the Hudson.

Only because the airplane was covered in goose grease. :D

Seriously, when it is appropriate to grease one? When it can be done safely withing the confines of the touchdown zone. Otherwise just get it on the runway.

Now, I don't know about the 737, but landing on the nose on any transport category airplane can't be too good.

Not good to land any airplane on the nosewheels. The rule is the smaller the margin, the less the latitude to get it right.. on speed, on the runway, on the brakes. That is why places like LGA and DCA can operate. It is not the facility but the pilots that makes it work. IF it were the facility, why would we continue to build 10,000ft runways when 5-7000ft with water on both ends suffices?

Good friend of mine is doing IOEs into this field and he says it is almost ALWAYS interesting.

Flying the Lear 55 into a 5000' runway, you can kiss a greaser goodbye unless you get super lucky. Unfortunately, some individuals I flew with didn't comprehend that. When you pass the 2000' marker and the PF is still tugging back on the yoke to hold 'er off a little longer, my pants start retreating into somewhere they shouldn't. There were several instances that I grabbed for the proverbial "oh poo" handle as I thought we were going off the end.

Isn't that fun? :) I've noticed more than a few guys who feel like they have to grease it on all the time.

From our Flight Handbook:

Fly the airplane onto the runway at the desired touchdown point and at
the desired airspeed.

NOTE: A smooth touchdown is not the criterion for a safe landing.
and

Do not allow the airplane to float; fly the
airplane onto the runway. Do not attempt to extend the flare by
increasing pitch attitude in an attempt to achieve a perfectly smooth
touchdown.
I can see how that approach can bite you, though. Maneuvering to final requires extra speed and the downhill slope creates an optical illusion that you're low. If any of you have flown into San Diego, you know this illusion. You have to force yourself to stay on glidepath on speed regardless of what the outside cues are telling you.

Back