When does an instrument approach end?

When does an instrument approach end?

• Upon Landing

Votes: 29 93.5%
  • When the landing environment is in sight/ VMC are reached.

Votes: 2 6.5%

• Total voters

greg1016

Trustworthy Source
So there is a consensus at work as to the answer, but I wanted to hear some other perspectives. I'll give the specifics after receiving some input. The books and regs don't seem to have a clear definition, and perhaps it varies based on the type of approach.

I suppose another way to phrase this question, if you are on an IFR flight plan and botch a landing, would you expect to be handled differently by ATC than if you went missed due to being IMC at the MAP?

No to the last paragraph. If you are on an IFR flight plan, unless otherwise notified, ATC assumes you are IMC.

since I haven't been cleared for a visual after breaking out at DH I'm gonna say it's when I land.

I'm not sure what you're asking in your second paragraph. Do you mean when we're given an instrument approach in VMC and go around for whatever reason, vs a missed in IMC at MAP?

I would say when my flight plan is canceled. Be it by me at a non-towered field or ATC at a towered field. If the flight plan is open then I’m in the system.

I would say when my flight plan is canceled. Be it by me at a non-towered field or ATC at a towered field. If the flight plan is open then I’m in the system.
9697_4.jpg

No, you are always afforded IFR separation until you cancel IFR. However, if you continue past the MAP, or are on the circling segment of a circling approach, would you expect a full missed approach procedure?

No, you are always afforded IFR separation until you cancel IFR. However, if you continue past the MAP, or are on the circling segment of a circling approach, would you expect a full missed approach procedure?
Yes. As long as you didn't cancel, then you're still expecting the missed on a circle and/or past the MAP.

I'm a little confused because I see two different questions being answered. "When does an instrument approach end" is a completely different question than "when am I no longer operating under IFR?"

The second one is easy. You are operating under IFR (the rules) until your IFR flight plan is canceled.

The one in the topic title is different: the rules say we have to follow an IAP, but when can we choose to stop following it? If we break out at 700 AGL at a nontowered airport where VFR is 1 mile and clear of clouds, but the plate requires 1.5 miles, and we haven't cancelled, can we continue even if it is below the published minimums for the approach? In the OP's second paragraph, on a go-around because a deer ran across the runway, can we circle and land or do we have to go missed?

I have no idea if there is an official answer.

Okay, I'll give the specifics that led to this question.

IFR Cessna conducting an ILS approach to RY28 in VMC, full stop. Requests circle to RY31 which was the wind-favored runway (yes our crossing runway is only 30 degrees different, dumb, I know). Circles to 31, approach is unstable and they come in too high and go around. In this situation they canceled IFR and joined the pattern to land. But what if they hadn't canceled, what kind of instructions would a pilot expect? Instructions to continue circling and try again, or something else. The published missed is not exactly available in this case.

From the tower, I would ask the pilot if they wanted to continue circling (still providing IFR separation), or if they'd like to go back to approach for resequencing. In the latter case I would have to get alternative instructions from approach. Then here is another big, but unlike what if. What happens if you start your circle and go NORDO and botch the landing. Would we expect you to fly the published missed (which doesn't apply) or continue in VMC and land.

Non-towered airports are one in, one out, so you are always entitled to a publish missed at an uncontrolled airport. The controller is protecting for it regardless.

I'm a little confused because I see two different questions being answered. "When does an instrument approach end" is a completely different question than "when am I no longer operating under IFR?"

In the OP's second paragraph, on a go-around because a deer ran across the runway, can we circle and land or do we have to go missed?

I have no idea if there is an official answer.

I would say it is your choice, but you are right I can't find an official answer, which is why a threw the question out here. Controllers cannot give circling approach instructions at non-towered airports, I do not think that implies it can't be done, just that it can only be done at the pilot's own risk. If you are on an instrument approach and go around in VMC couldn't that be considered a circling approach (back to the same runway), rather than going missed? :ooh:

Last edited:
In the latter case I would have to get alternative instructions from approach. Then here is another big, but unlike what if. What happens if you start your circle and go NORDO and botch the landing. Would we expect you to fly the published missed (which doesn't apply) or continue in VMC and land.

You still follow the published missed on a circle. The only exception is you first turn toward the airport (since you are out of position) and then continue as published.

I would say it is your choice, but you are right I can't find an official answer, which is why a threw the question out here. Controllers cannot give circling approach instructions at non-towered airports, I do not think that implies it can't be done, just that it can only be done at the pilot's own risk. If you are on an instrument approach and go around in VMC couldn't that be considered a circling approach (back to the same runway), rather than going missed. :ooh:

Huh? I've been cleared for circling approaches more times than I can count at non-towered fields. If the field is VFR you could enter the pattern and land, otherwise you continue the circle towards the field and execute the published miss and contact approach again.

Huh? I've been cleared for circling approaches more times than I can count at non-towered fields. If the field is VFR you could enter the pattern and land, otherwise you continue the circle towards the field and execute the published miss and contact approach again.

4−8−6. CIRCLING APPROACH
a.
Circling approach instructions may only be
given for aircraft
landing at airports with operational
control towers.

Is that new?

No idea. Approaches at non-towered airports are to the airport and not the runway (for ATC purposes). Nothing prevents you from circling but it is at your own risk. I'm a tower controller and a VFR pilot so the only reason I know that is we just had generic training on it, I don't know the reference.

Okay, I'll give the specifics that led to this question.

IFR Cessna conducting an ILS approach to RY28 in VMC, full stop. Requests circle to RY31 which was the wind-favored runway (yes our crossing runway is only 30 degrees different, dumb, I know). Circles to 31, approach is unstable and they come in too high and go around. In this situation they canceled IFR and joined the pattern to land. But what if they hadn't canceled, what kind of instructions would a pilot expect? Instructions to continue circling and try again, or something else. The published missed is not exactly available in this case.

From the tower, I would ask the pilot if they wanted to continue circling (still providing IFR separation), or if they'd like to go back to approach for resequencing. In the latter case I would have to get alternative instructions from approach. Then here is another big, but unlike what if. What happens if you start your circle and go NORDO and botch the landing. Would we expect you to fly the published missed (which doesn't apply) or continue in VMC and land.

Non-towered airports are one in, one out, so you are always entitled to a publish missed at an uncontrolled airport. The controller is protecting for it regardless.

Remain in VMC, squawk 7600, land.

Back