Wheels Up to go public in a $2 billion SPAC deal

That’s precisely what I tell WU pax who bring their house on the ramp and I have to ship bags.

But at least you get to stack the lav!

I may have, ok I almost certainly did tell the story about having the pax show up in Eagle next to my poor little Beechjet with THREE Tahoes all FULL of crap. A large part of the load (which of course we obviously couldn't take) was, and I'm not making this up, like bed linens and pillows, all of which smelled like a campfire. Evidently their vacation property had burned down, and we were meant to be evacuating all of their worldly possessions back to their primary residence. I had to hold myself back from suggesting that maybe they should have rented a mule-team or a bunch of water buffalo. What is this, the Fall of Saigon?

The article mentions "a rapid recovery of private jet companies". This side of the industry faltered very little throughout this entire ordeal. There's actually been a lot of growth! Jet ownership has grown quite quickly. One reason is the pandemic and the recognition of the convenience of private jet travel. The other reason is the pending closure of a Trump era tax loophole.

To be clear, this is not a tax "loophole" - it's written plain in the tax code that you can immediately depreciate the full value of the aircraft. It's intended to incentivize business, and individuals, to purchase/invest in new equipment from manufacturers.

This has always existed - prior to Trump's 2017 tax reform, you could deduct ~50% of the value of the aircraft immediately, and then the remaining ~50% over the next seven years ("MACRS" depreciation with Bonus Depreciation).

This is a large part of why US airlines have moved to (or are moving to) owning their aircraft, rather than leasing (Frontier being the lone exception).

I interviewed with Wheels Up/GAMA some years back. Weirdest interview experience I ever had. I was way over the requirements for the position I applied for, but not two minutes in the interviewer looks at my resume and says, "You don't meet our requirements." We chatted for a few more minutes, but that was basically it.

Guy seemed genuinely frustrated, which I get. But at the same time, like, I woke up before dawn and put on a tie in my hotel room for this video conference (he was on the East Coast, I was on the West). And y'all are the ones who called me. All I did was take the call.

I still wonder how exactly the wires got crossed. But it would have been a mostly lateral move for me anyway, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

...anyway their crews I've encountered on the road seem content, if frequently a bit frazzled. Hope it works out well for everyone.

But at least you get to stack the lav!

I may have, ok I almost certainly did tell the story about having the pax show up in Eagle next to my poor little Beechjet with THREE Tahoes all FULL of crap. A large part of the load (which of course we obviously couldn't take) was, and I'm not making this up, like bed linens and pillows, all of which smelled like a campfire. Evidently their vacation property had burned down, and we were meant to be evacuating all of their worldly possessions back to their primary residence. I had to hold myself back from suggesting that maybe they should have rented a mule-team or a bunch of water buffalo. What is this, the Fall of Saigon?
Out of curiosity, did you have a cargo net for the lav to go across the lav entry? I basically only put one bag back there that I can secure with the belt. A cargo net would make filling the lav at least look legal.

I interviewed with Wheels Up/GAMA some years back. Weirdest interview experience I ever had. I was way over the requirements for the position I applied for, but not two minutes in the interviewer looks at my resume and says, "You don't meet our requirements." We chatted for a few more minutes, but that was basically it.

Guy seemed genuinely frustrated, which I get. But at the same time, like, I woke up before dawn and put on a tie in my hotel room for this video conference (he was on the East Coast, I was on the West). And y'all are the ones who called me. All I did was take the call.

I still wonder how exactly the wires got crossed. But it would have been a mostly lateral move for me anyway, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

...anyway their crews I've encountered on the road seem content, if frequently a bit frazzled. Hope it works out well for everyone.
In what way were you over their requirements while also not meeting their requirements? Lol

I’m still trying to figure out why 70% of my flying is for Wheels Up. Recovering King Air trips with a Beechjet is.....frustrating.
The 350 is just a pickup truck with PT6A-60A engines, really, when you get right down to it.
That’s precisely what I tell WU pax who bring their house on the ramp and I have to ship bags.

So, y’all have to send 2 Beechjets to carry 1 350 load of pax-n-bags?

I had a guy show with 7 friends, bags, and one that was easily 8 ft long. I asked if he had a saw. He chose FedEx instead.

That’s like saying an A380 is just a bus... oh, never mind.

8E4CD5C8-1CAF-4F5B-A0BE-775B3F42FD05.jpeg

Out of curiosity, did you have a cargo net for the lav to go across the lav entry? I basically only put one bag back there that I can secure with the belt. A cargo net would make filling the lav at least look legal.
If your airplane doesn’t have a cargo net stashed somewhere onboard for the lav door opening then your MX probably has it in a storage room somewhere.
Also, Id be surprised if it doesn’t have the net attachment points on the bulkhead.
It was always nice to give the passengers the option of shipping some of their stuff, or losing access to the lav.

i figured they meant over qualified and expected to lose him to the airlines or something soon after hiring

Their minimums are ATP standards for the WheelsUp side, so maybe there's something to that. I dunno. Story didn't read right.

Their minimums are ATP standards for the WheelsUp side, so maybe there's something to that. I dunno. Story didn't read right.
Oftentimes the minimums they actually want are much higher than those published. Casting a wide net helps build a working database that might be helpful when/if industry conditions change.

Oftentimes the minimums they actually want are much higher than those published. Casting a wide net helps build a working database that might be helpful when/if industry conditions change.

Oh. That's true I guess.

<looks at logbook....480 short of ATP mins....sigh>

It was long enough ago that I don't remember the exact details, but it was along those lines. Published requirements were something like ATP mins + ATP written. I had my ATP, several thousand hours, and an unrelated type rating. Their internal requirements were different.

I wasn't broken up about it or anything. I didn't think I'd be competitive and was actually surprised when they called me for an interview. It was just bizarre to get out of the pool and into the interview stage and not even be a hirable candidate. Silly waste of everyone's time. Presumably an HR/hiring firm screw-up.

Last edited:
Back