What's this?

Maximillian_Jenius said:
Well yea I wasn't getting IFR clearance as a student pilot. But you get my jist...:)

Yes, but I had to give you crap. At least I haven't went through your posts today correcting all the their/they're/there and your/you're stuff.:) Yes, I have seen a few, but tired of doing it, so I'm leaving it alone...I saw this one and couldn't resist!

DE727UPS said:
I was an Air Traffic Assistant at LAX TRACON for about a year. Does that count?

I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night, does that count? :sarcasm:

I think this will be a GREAT forum!

Well....I don't really have any questions. I am however happy you are here to answer questions, I am sure some will come up in the future. I think you guys do a great job from my perspective.

Max, no worries. There are still plenty of fields that don't have PDC. We still have to get the clearance the old fashioned way. Although PDC really do make life easier. "What was that squawk? Oh there it is."

kellwolf said:
Max, no worries. There are still plenty of fields that don't have PDC. We still have to get the clearance the old fashioned way. Although PDC really do make life easier. "What was that squawk? Oh there it is."

:D

In reference to the PDC quesion asked earlier, wether or not someone looks at the pdc or is it auto. The pdc's are processed by clearnce delivery he/she inputs alt,freq,heading. Verifies it then sends it off. Some acft call back and state negative acarts so then we retrieve it and read it. Most of the time were familiar with what acft will call saying they dont have pdc, the yexplain it's a blind spot or the acft is not acars equipped. but yeah acars definatly frees up talk time. It's always cool t read off a FRC for a guy going transatlantic full of lat/longs. Don't pay attention to grammar it's late.

I've always been curious about becoming a terminal controller. Is it hard to get a position in the tower or does everyone go to the center first? What's the QOL like? Thanks for the info.

Well as far as where I work like xry stated, some individuals might think that something expressed here could have some trace back to an individual ie XXXX said this. So I rather not say but let me know if there's any questions u might have I currently work in a Terminal environment but have played the radar side as well.Tower=Better View. As far as getting into a terminal option it really depends on what your quals are. This is my first FAA facility, although I was slotted to go to a Center option because of my radar exp. Centers are bigger and therefore they hurt more for manning. Not impossible I was lucky very blessed to have been sent to where I am now. Really depends the more you talk with someone the better your chances, If your persistent you will persevere.

Astro27 said:
I've always been curious about becoming a terminal controller. Is it hard to get a position in the tower or does everyone go to the center first? What's the QOL like? Thanks for the info.
There is no way of knowing where you will go. When I was hired I was initially told to expect a certain tower... then during my background check I was told to expect an approach control. The day they called and offered me a job it was for a center...

Under the new ATO the FAA has been broken into three regions known as "service areas" Eastern, Central, and Western. Within these service areas there is further breakdown of enroute (centers) and terminal (towers and approach controls). Going from enroute to terminal is very difficult because they operate on separate budgets. Jon Doe controller at say PBI tower wants to go to ZMA (Miami Center). Well... Eastern Terminals budget gets a "surplus" because they loose said controllers salary from their budget but eastern enroute gets a "debit" because they are know having to pay said controller out of their budget that did not include this person when money was appropriated. It does not seem like much but this has created significant problems for those wishing to move. If you move around within your terminal unit then everything is fine (money wise that is...)

Also... moving from Eastern to say Western one would encounter similar problems.

Most centers are known as sign on die on. They are very hard to get released out of. The majority of centers are not staffed very well and even if they are the FAA has invested a significant amount of time and money into one's training, often a few years, and they do not want to just let this person go.

The newest problem is the new non-tract and pay scales. Controllers who transfer under their own desire will fall under the new pay system at their new facilities, for many this could add up to 40K+/year pay cuts.

As for your original question they hire people where they need them. As for QOL it all depends, I was hired in the area where I have lived all my life so for me it's fine. Centers tend to be located in areas off the beaten path in the suburbs of major cities and they all pay at or near the top of the pay bands so there is a group of workers that like this. Terminals and towers are located all over the place in the 50 states, working in the terminal environment a controller will have more options, you could work in an obscure area of the country or in the heart of a major city.

How long that is going to last is another question. There are lots of rumors about consolidating centers and tracons all over the nation. I feel we may see some of it in the coming years. Many facilities were built in the 60's and are falling down, it may be cheaper to move the ops of these places to other facilities rather then rebuild these buildings. Rumors have San Juan CERAP closing and be folded into NY Oceanic, Houston Center closing and being absorbed by Fort Worth Center and Kansas City. A long rumored project (that seems to have died) was taking the radar rooms out of TPA, MCO, and a few other Florida tracons and building sun coast approach. By early 07' I expect we'll begin to see an idea of the FAA's intentions.

You would think the technology will soon exsist where center controllers could work from their lazy boy at home. If I could do that I might be willing to take a 40% pay cut.

DE727UPS said:
You would think the technology will soon exsist where center controllers could work from their lazy boy at home. If I could do that I might be willing to take a 40% pay cut.

You're bringing down the industry with that kind of talk, Mr.!!!:insane: :)

Back