What's important to you in an airline?

spartan_rxn

I"m sending out a bunch of apps to the regionals, and hoping for a positive return on them with this 'hiring boom' that's supposed to be going on. What makes an airline a good airline to work for? Benefits, upgrade time, pay, aircraft, etc...

This. And pay. But I don't know of any regionals that pay enough to make them a good company to work for.

Actually scope is more important to me than pay.

But if I were the original poster, I would be concerned with a good safety culture. You don't want to have an issue that goes on your FAA PRIA Record that can prevent you from getting that next job. Happens A LOT less with companies with a good safety culture.

Last edited:
'That next job' happens a lot less if safety culture is combined with pay....

Given that many pilots that want to go to regionals, especially in the last few years, will be spending their entire airline career at a regional, I'd think pay would be important.

Actually scope is more important to me than pay.

But if I were the original poster, I would be concerned with a good safety culture. You don't want to have an issue that goes on your FAA PRIA Record that can prevent you from getting that next job. Happens A LOT less with companies with a good safety culture.

This. Colgan screwed people over.

I know safety is a big one. I was offered a gig a Key Lime, told a few people about it and every one of em said 'NO' with emphasis.

'That next job' happens a lot less if safety culture is combined with pay....

Given that many pilots that want to go to regionals, especially in the last few years, will be spending their entire airline career at a regional, I'd think pay would be important.

Scope is still more important, even at the regional level, than pay.

An airlines history. I wouldnt want to go to one with a bad reputation like PSA, GoJet, etc. Not because they are incredibly terrible regionals (although far from the best) but their pilots have gone out of their way to screw over other airlines. I wouldnt want to be associated with a group like that.

Scope is still more important, even at the regional level, than pay.

Outside of a "no alter ego" clause, there isn't much in the way of scope protection in any regional CBA. If you go work for a wholly owned carrier and you can get some sort of parent letter, that's a different story.

Pay rates are something to be concerned about, but honestly, once you get past FO pay, the difference between making $72 an hour and $68 an hour isn't very big. A more important metric would be pay rigs. If I can only actually FLY 65 hours and CREDIT 100 (and pocket the difference in increased time at home) that is worth more to me than a few bucks more on pay rates.

Also, choosing an airline that has several base options that you'd be willing to move to or are an "easy" commute from where you currently live/want to live is very important. Bases open and close, but if you have a few options, there is a higher chance you won't end up having to do a transcon commute to min days off on reserve ever.

Safety culture means a lot. I'm not going to be cheerleading for Endeavor, but I'm not embarrassed to walk out of the cockpit anymore to hear the passengers complaints if there are any. The equipment is finally looking like airline grade equipment, the operation is quicker to respond than even Mesaba was, and it's consistently become better every time I go to work. Frankly I'm shocked. I figured once Phil came in and broke everything there'd be no way to put it back together, apparently there was a way, dumping in 300million dollars and firing off a load of dead-redneck-thieving punks.

1. Safety

2. Pay, QOL/living in base, and schedule

3. Upgrade time and aircraft type (besides that I'd rather fly a jet than a t-prop bc its more marketable flight time in most cases)

Why, because chasing an upgrade can bite you in the butt and bc its also about how you enjoy life.

My opinion as a second yr regional FO.

I"m sending out a bunch of apps to the regionals, and hoping for a positive return on them with this 'hiring boom' that's supposed to be going on. What makes an airline a good airline to work for? Benefits, upgrade time, pay, aircraft, etc...

The answer depends, in part, on your career goal.

If your goal is to move on to a major airline, and that major requires turbine PIC time, I would place upgrade time closer to the top of the list. Pay, while important, would not be a deal breaker if the higher paying airline took 2-3 years longer for an upgrade because you make it up and then some by the faster upgrade time. You then make it up, possibly to the tune of $1 million in career earnings, by getting on with a major 2-3 years earlier.

Regionals, in my opinion, should only be seen as stepping stones. You use them to get you where you want to go. Do a good job for them while you are there; be loyal to them while you are there; but don't lose sight of the goal.

Typhoonpilot

Back