What to Major in?

lilsnoboardr22

Hi Everyone, This is my first post on these forums, i hope that i am in the right section.
I am currently a college senior working on ratings and finishing up my degree. I first pursued college aspiring to be a Doctor or Dentist. And am currently pursuing a degree in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology. However, after flying for 2 years now, i got the bug, and i now wish to pursue a pilot career. Some of you might think im crazy, some of you not. However this semester at college (senior year) i am having difficulties in my classes, very hard upper level biology and chemistry classes. I could drop these classes, and finish up next semester with a BA in Biology, or just tough it out and recieve c's in these classes and graduate with my intended degree? will my major matter when it comes time to be hired, and what effect will the difference in my degree have on my career paths in the future. Id though i would get all your opinions since these forums are very knowledable.

Thank you for your Help

Hi Everyone, This is my first post on these forums, i hope that i am in the right section.
I am currently a college senior working on ratings and finishing up my degree. I first pursued college aspiring to be a Doctor or Dentist. And am currently pursuing a degree in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology. However, after flying for 2 years now, i got the bug, and i now wish to pursue a pilot career. Some of you might think im crazy, some of you not. However this semester at college (senior year) i am having difficulties in my classes, very hard upper level biology and chemistry classes. I could drop these classes, and finish up next semester with a BA in Biology, or just tough it out and recieve c's in these classes and graduate with my intended degree? will my major matter when it comes time to be hired, and what effect will the difference in my degree have on my career paths in the future. Id though i would get all your opinions since these forums are very knowledable.

Thank you for your Help

Get your intended degree, even if you get the C's. Nothing worth doing is worth quitting, you'll regret it if you don't.

Stay with what you have going, a degree is a degree. A lot of times an employer doesn't look at what you did in college but if you went to college. It is all about knowledge, you will be better because you have some.

Underwater Basket Weaving! or what you are doing now and just get your ratings on the side while finishing your degree

I have always been partial to Mathematics degrees. Great basis for any kind of graduate program you would want and for some reason people across professions seem to appreciate them.

Stay with what you have going, a degree is a degree. A lot of times an employer doesn't look at what you did in college but if you went to college. It is all about knowledge, you will be better because you have some.

are you serious? of course an employer is going to look at what you did in college! You need the grades to get the job. Once you have gone threw a handful of jobs, an employer will most likely stop caring about grades.

On topic I would highly consider you getting some extra help or join a study group or anything to avoid getting C's. If aviation doesn't work out, your going to need good marks to get a decent job with a BA.

Your major isn't important. I would even venture to say that grades are only important in certain circumstances. No employer has ever asked to see my college transcript. However, if you want to apply to become a military officer, or to a graduate program, your grades are important. In any case, get a degree!

Hire a tutor and bust your @ss! Look around you - Does everyone else act like it's an easy class?

Also, how much are a handful of C's going to effect your GPA after >120hrs?!!!

Major in Aviation!!!!!!!!!!!!

Take his/her quote with some sarcasm!

An aviation degree is like shooting yourself in the foot. The grades don't mean much and I have never been asked to see transcripts.

Continue on your intended path, fly when you can during residency, then buy the airplane you want and fly for fun/business.
My AME is retired family practice, just sold his 310, owns a farm with his own airport, and just does medicals now out of his home office for his retirement fun money.

are you serious? of course an employer is going to look at what you did in college! You need the grades to get the job. Once you have gone threw a handful of jobs, an employer will most likely stop caring about grades.

On topic I would highly consider you getting some extra help or join a study group or anything to avoid getting C's. If aviation doesn't work out, your going to need good marks to get a decent job with a BA.

My GPA was 2.96 upon graduating with a degree in philosophy. Oh and I failed my first philosophy class too! Ain't that a hoot.

Nobody has asked for transcripts yet, nor have they even asked what my GPA is.

It doesn't matter.

Take his/her quote with some sarcasm!

An aviation degree is like shooting yourself in the foot. The grades don't mean much and I have never been asked to see transcripts.
Republic had me bring transcripts with. I think Mesaba did as well

My GPA was 2.96 upon graduating with a degree in philosophy. Oh and I failed my first philosophy class too! Ain't that a hoot.

Nobody has asked for transcripts yet, nor have they even asked what my GPA is.

It doesn't matter.

Except when your airline furloughs or you get stuck like me with no flight schools hiring (can't relocate right now) and you need to find another job. I should no Jtrain...I'm a philosophy major too ;)

Anyone every hear that interview question, "Tell me about a time you faced a challenge?" It comes in many forms, but I think "when I was getting my @ss handed to me senior year but I sacked up, made some sacrifices, and got my degree" would be a pretty good response.

Except when your airline furloughs or you get stuck like me with no flight schools hiring (can't relocate right now) and you need to find another job. I should no Jtrain...I'm a philosophy major too ;)

Anyone every hear that interview question, "Tell me about a time you faced a challenge?" It comes in many forms, but I think "when I was getting my @ss handed to me senior year but I sacked up, made some sacrifices, and got my degree" would be a pretty good response.

Hey man I'm embracing my furlough! I'm teaching kids how to ski this winter, and this furlough gives me a ton of time to spend with my new wife. All in all, life ain't so bad.

Now I just gotta get myself down to the unemployment office...

Back