What to Major in?

Just get an aviation degree. I hate it when people ponder what degree they should get if they want to be a pilot. If you want to become a pilot and nothing else matters then go for it. Having a four year degree can still get you a good job if your not flying.

Just get an aviation degree. I hate it when people ponder what degree they should get if they want to be a pilot. If you want to become a pilot and nothing else matters then go for it. Having a four year degree can still get you a good job if your not flying.

Yes, but if you are less than 2 semesters from getting a degree, FINISH IT!!

Changing majors at this point is a lot different than when you are less than 2 semesters into college.

No it can't.

How do I know? I'm unemployed with an aviation degree and I have applied for no less than 100 (yes, ONE HUNDRED) "real world" jobs. How many interviews have I gotten? Zero. Zip. Nada.

Get a real degree. Anyone with the intellect to get a biochem degree would be bored to tears by an "Aviation" program. It's basically a close cousin of "Communications".

If you can find a greater than $30k job not flying (or flying) in my location with an aviation degree I'll be more than happy to apply and send you my first paycheck! Thanks, looking forward to hear back from you.

No it can't.

How do I know? I'm unemployed with an aviation degree and I have applied for no less than 100 (yes, ONE HUNDRED) "real world" jobs. How many interviews have I gotten? Zero. Zip. Nada.

I hear you. Same here! I bet you feel that you have so much to offer but can only deliver pizza. It just makes you want to scream.

My GPA was 2.96 upon graduating with a degree in philosophy. Oh and I failed my first philosophy class too! Ain't that a hoot.

Nobody has asked for transcripts yet, nor have they even asked what my GPA is.

It doesn't matter.

Sorry but my belief is that non- aviation careers will for the most part ask for college transcript grades. Especially if one attended graduate school. I mean when one is fresh out of college, how much is going to be on your resume?

Aviation could be entierly different, since I have never had an aviation job, I can't speak for them :)

Sorry but my belief is that non- aviation careers will for the most part ask for college transcript grades. Especially if one attended graduate school. I mean when one is fresh out of college, how much is going to be on your resume?

Aviation could be entierly different, since I have never had an aviation job, I can't speak for them :)

Your belief is wrong when it comes to aviation jobs, at least the ones I've had, which have been flight instructing, a job at a freight company and a regional that has a base just east of you in Newark.

The aviation world is a completely different animal than people are used to working with.

Hi Everyone, This is my first post on these forums, i hope that i am in the right section.
I am currently a college senior working on ratings and finishing up my degree. I first pursued college aspiring to be a Doctor or Dentist. And am currently pursuing a degree in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology. However, after flying for 2 years now, i got the bug, and i now wish to pursue a pilot career. Some of you might think im crazy, some of you not. However this semester at college (senior year) i am having difficulties in my classes, very hard upper level biology and chemistry classes. I could drop these classes, and finish up next semester with a BA in Biology, or just tough it out and recieve c's in these classes and graduate with my intended degree? will my major matter when it comes time to be hired, and what effect will the difference in my degree have on my career paths in the future. Id though i would get all your opinions since these forums are very knowledable.

Thank you for your Help

Bottom line...

Doctor only path- get high grades. It's that simple.

Doctor/Pilot path- Because most doctors do fly you can have the best of both worlds you know. Get the good grades, buy plane and make more flying to your clients. Doctors get paid. I know of one doctor that owns 4 nice airplanes.

Pilot only path- just finish the degree in biology no matter what grades you get and get your ratings at the local airport. Do not change majors!

Hey man I'm embracing my furlough! I'm teaching kids how to ski this winter, and this furlough gives me a ton of time to spend with my new wife. All in all, life ain't so bad.

Any openings at the resorts out there? I've thought about putting flying on the side for the winter and working on a mountain. I'll hopefully be in Ogden Dec 6 for an interview with the 466th FS :rawk: Let's be sure to grab a few beers and talk philosophy.

Word, we'll have to get together that evening, and I'll need the beers; the LSAT is slated for that day.

thanks everyone for your responses, i guess im going to battle it out and stick with it, even if it takes me a semester more to graduate, or i have to repeat a class, i can still take that time to work on my ratings, so no biggie. Thank You

You're almost done, just stick with it.

I'm a junior in IT, but I'll be switching to a LAS degree (plus side is I can make it a BS by throwing in an IT concentration, if I choose) so I can finish up in time. If I would have known I was going to end up with such a broad degree, I would have just bit the bullet and studied aviation. I probably would have had more fun in college if I had studied aviation, too. This is shaping out to be the most boring and tedious four years of my life.

yea im right with you scramjet, its funny how life pans out, first nyc and finance, then premed, now aviation, but i guess thats why we go to college to find out what we trully want to do for the rest of our lives.. after interning with a lot of sucessful brokers, investors, doctors, and dentists, they live a great life and make good money, but a very low percentage of the people i talked with are trully happy with what they do. I have never met a pilot that does not enjoy what they do. every pilot i know that is a career pilot even flys there own private airplanes when they are not working. Thats when you know thats your true passion.

every pilot i know that is a career pilot even flys there own private airplanes when they are not working. Thats when you know thats your true passion.

hee. Every career pilot you know can afford "there own private airplanes" (sic)? If your luck is that good, I say go for it!

You're almost done, just stick with it.

I'm a junior in IT, but I'll be switching to a LAS degree (plus side is I can make it a BS by throwing in an IT concentration, if I choose) so I can finish up in time. If I would have known I was going to end up with such a broad degree, I would have just bit the bullet and studied aviation. I probably would have had more fun in college if I had studied aviation, too. This is shaping out to be the most boring and tedious four years of my life.

I think this has been beaten pretty much to death, but heres my $.02. I have flown with many guys that have been furloughed. I fortunately have not, but by far, the ones that had degrees other than an aviation degree fared better in the "real world"

To the original poster: Stay on track. Get your original degree. IF you decide to make aviation your primary career, you will have a good if not great fall back position WHEN.. not IF this industry turns further down. I have a degree in architecture, and have always been able to find work outside when things are looking bad. (Present housing industry crisis might be excepted, but I am not really looking at the moment) In my honest opinion... an aviation degree in this industry (ironicly) is akin to painting one's self into a corner with very slow drying paint. Best of luck.

Back