What to do....

. . .So I do just that, I had applied to PUBNAT1 2 and 4. I missed the others due to lazyness and forgetfullness. PUBNAT2 comes around, everyone is getting their emails so I call my Rep to find out where's my email. "You were not selected." she tells me. . .

That being said, I kinda wish I took ZME and could just transfer later down the road. It may be much later, but least I'd have the friggin' opportunity. . .

Wow. I'm really sorry; I remember you telling this story originally but I had not heard about this latest info. You might remember I had the same deal, except I had ZAN (ak) not ZME. I decided to roll the dice and just stick with AK for fear of exactly what has happened to you. This is my first indication that I may have made the right choice.

I sincerely hope you get something on the next go around, and wish you all the best-- I can't imagine the frustration there :banghead:

Wow. I'm really sorry; I remember you telling this story originally but I had not heard about this latest info. You might remember I had the same deal, except I had ZAN (ak) not ZME. I decided to roll the dice and just stick with AK for fear of exactly what has happened to you. This is my first indication that I may have made the right choice.

I sincerely hope you get something on the next go around, and wish you all the best-- I can't imagine the frustration there :banghead:

Yah I remember you and the other Guam guy, wonder if he took that. Yah when she came out with "you were not selected." I instantly got the biggest headache ever. It was awesome.

Hmmm... I can relate to you more than anyone else!

My story goes:

I applied for PUBNAT1. Took the test and got a 96.5. Geographic preferences came around and I chose FL and GA enroute only (was hoping for ZTL). I get the email telling me I've been selected for ZME. WTF?! I say to myself (yes, in letters not the actual words) and I call my HR Rep. She does her thing and arranges it to where I am able to go to ZTL (Atlanta Center) so I do my happy dance and get a call from some other lady in some other department also confirming my switch from ZME to ZTL. Mrs. Whoever then explains to me I was "inadvertenly" placed onto ZME when I was also on ZTL and was meant for ZTL the whole time. I go to the Memphis PEPC and get my TOL that says I will be going to ZTL and here's my salary and yadda yadda yadda following some fineprint that says "I cannot go anywhere else after signing this" basically. A few weeks later I get married (oh and on the day of my wedding I get a phone call letting me know my clearances have gone through), go on my honeymoon and await my FOL so I can finally start school. So I call my HR Rep to see where we are and I say something like "yah I'm just wondering when I'll get my FOL for ZTL" and she just replies with "you mean ZME" and I tell her "excuse me?" and she explains how my TOL has now been ammended to read ZME. So wondering to myself in various expletives "well when the **** were you gonna tell me!?" I ask what can I do and basically all I could do was decline the TOL and wait for the next pull from PUBNAT2 and cross my fingers I get ZTL.

*takes breath*

So I do just that, I had applied to PUBNAT1 2 and 4. I missed the others due to lazyness and forgetfullness. PUBNAT2 comes around, everyone is getting their emails so I call my Rep to find out where's my email. "You were not selected." she tells me.

So rather type a bunch more useless you-know-what I'll just say, I contact around 6 other people and they all said the same thing "Just keep trying, we have no control over who goes where."

That being said, I kinda wish I took ZME and could just transfer later down the road. It may be much later, but least I'd have the friggin' opportunity.

Oh and about PUBNAT4, not sure if anyone's heard this or can say otherwise, but in my slew of various phone calls... the head of all the HR Reps told me that PUBNAT 3 and 4 pulls will be at the same time in Jan. so at least I have that going for me since I missed 3.

That really sucks man, but at least your wife is helping you. And please tell me the Tequila is something mid to high grade.

Dude............vagaries ?

Maybe he meant "vaginas". Knowing Raydon.

Hey, I lol'd, but then again, the internet has desensitized me. Once you've seen someone hack off their own coital device, you really aren't ever surprised...

Thankfully, my Husband's a gentleman.

Presumably because he hasn't hacked off his own phallic device.

That being said, I kinda wish I took ZME and could just transfer later down the road. It may be much later, but least I'd have the friggin' opportunity.

That's actually exactly what a controller at ZSE told me today. "If you really want to come here but get selected for another Center, it's better to just take it and start arrangements for a transfer as soon as possible. Sure, you won't get it for a while, but at least you'll be getting your training down and they'll know that you're working towards it -- it'll give you an edge."

Well, I just talked to my contact at ZTL and he was a little surprised and a little disappointed that I wasn't picked there. Anyway, he's speaking to a few folks and gave me a number to call there so hopefully I can get things rolling back in the right direction. :)

Well, I just talked to my contact at ZTL and he was a little surprised and a little disappointed that I wasn't picked there. Anyway, he's speaking to a few folks and gave me a number to call there so hopefully I can get things rolling back in the right direction. :)

Good luck with that! My brother's been in the game for 18 years and works at ZTL and pretty much had no say in getting me there heh...

can you tell I'm bitter?

Definitely don't take a assignment to a place you don't want to be in. Unlike what other people say, it seems pretty hard to move facilities once you in. And also a facility isn't going to want to spend 3 years training you up just to have you leave once you get the first chance. I'm pretty sure what want a minimum of 5 years out of you. If you're not in a place you want to be it would be worth it to try and get some place you wouldn't mind being for 5 years. Some of the places I have seen people getting are crazy...not to offend any one but I have been to Memphis and it was a dump. And I see people getting New Mexico and I really feel bad for them. But they need controllers and if you want the job bad enough and don't care where you live then maybe its for you :)

I have seen a few people dumping on New Mexico...is it really that bad? Everywhere I have been in NM was pretty nice. Texas on the other hand...

Good luck with that! My brother's been in the game for 18 years and works at ZTL and pretty much had no say in getting me there heh...

can you tell I'm bitter?

Were you able to get any background on what happened in your case? I had been told that was on the facility manager's list for ZTL but I still ended up with ZME. I guess they're just really hard up for people there, maybe if they'd move the center to someplace like Nashville folks wouldn't mind living there. I know given the age of most of those facilities that it might be in the FAAs interest to consider moving some of these places into areas where people actually want to live.

Honestly Hampton isn't exactly on the best side of Atlanta. I know there are some decent locations to live, but the schools down there are what really worry me. Granted I went from 1-9 in Clayton County, but times have certainly changed since I lived down that way.

Were you able to get any background on what happened in your case? I had been told that was on the facility manager's list for ZTL but I still ended up with ZME. I guess they're just really hard up for people there, maybe if they'd move the center to someplace like Nashville folks wouldn't mind living there. I know given the age of most of those facilities that it might be in the FAAs interest to consider moving some of these places into areas where people actually want to live.

Honestly Hampton isn't exactly on the best side of Atlanta. I know there are some decent locations to live, but the schools down there are what really worry me. Granted I went from 1-9 in Clayton County, but times have certainly changed since I lived down that way.

He heard through the grapevine if he spoke to so and so that he could maybe have some pull on getting me into ZTL. So so and so goes to the pull selection when everybody else does but he ends up not selecting for ZTL, as far as this so and so throwing my name out there to whoever did select, I dunno. Now I just gotta wait to see what happens with PUBNAT4.

Definitely don't take a assignment to a place you don't want to be in. Unlike what other people say, it seems pretty hard to move facilities once you in. And also a facility isn't going to want to spend 3 years training you up just to have you leave once you get the first chance. I'm pretty sure what want a minimum of 5 years out of you. If you're not in a place you want to be it would be worth it to try and get some place you wouldn't mind being for 5 years.

You can pass on a place, sure, but you're gambling that you'll definitely get one that you'll like better in the future... and unless you have some way to up your qualifications or otherwise get a better edge than you currently have, there's not much reason to expect things to be different the second time around. And at the rate that the process moves, the difference between groups can be a long one.

I'm not trying to sound negative, but like someone wisely said here a week or two ago, preferences are just that -- preferences. Applicants are signing up to work for the FAA, not the other way around, and given the large pool of applicants, if someone declines to take an opening, there's probably someone else who's willing to do so. No skin off their back if OTS Guy #1 refuses to take a spot that OTS Guy #2 will take.

Anyway, it's a balancing game. For me, there are about five or six places that I'd really like to end up at. If I get one, great, but I know that it's entirely possible that I won't... but it's going to have to be somewhere that I'd really, really hate for me to take the risk in saying, "Sorry, but I'm gonna see what'll happen the next time around."

You can pass on a place, sure, but you're gambling that you'll definitely get one that you'll like better in the future... and unless you have some way to up your qualifications or otherwise get a better edge than you currently have, there's not much reason to expect things to be different the second time around. And at the rate that the process moves, the difference between groups can be a long one.

I'm not trying to sound negative, but like someone wisely said here a week or two ago, preferences are just that -- preferences. Applicants are signing up to work for the FAA, not the other way around, and given the large pool of applicants, if someone declines to take an opening, there's probably someone else who's willing to do so. No skin off their back if OTS Guy #1 refuses to take a spot that OTS Guy #2 will take.

Anyway, it's a balancing game. For me, there are about five or six places that I'd really like to end up at. If I get one, great, but I know that it's entirely possible that I won't... but it's going to have to be somewhere that I'd really, really hate for me to take the risk in saying, "Sorry, but I'm gonna see what'll happen the next time around."

So, curious then- I am unable to move, but am well-qualified. I know there are openings locally and would like to request one of them. Are the odds more that they would push me aside to find a suitable replacement at my designated location without any regard for my preferences, or that they would replace my spot and make an effort to accomodate my needs? Not everyone is "free to move about the country." Surely, they know this...this isn't the first group to have requests/needs.

I realize, we are working for them, but if we're qualified and made it this far...it sounds like some are saying there is no extra consideration for the employee, us.

Any solid proof or info on this?

They are you gonna put you where they need controllers. You don't want the place they give you? Take it or leave it. That's pretty much how it is working right now.

They don't care if you are qualified or well qualified. The only people with an advantage are VRA and CTI.

They are gonna keep up this hiring frenzy until 2012 (according to the FAA Hiring Plan). I know it's easier said than done, but patience COULD be a virtue...but then again who knows...

If you want my .02 on marriage.. I'll put it this way.. After my last relationship and subsequent depression after it ended, I know now that I'll never allow myself to be vulnerable to the vagaries of the contemporary female ever again.

I love em, but I've never met one I can count on.:panic:[/quote]

I feel the same way about men!!!! LOL :yeahthat:

Here's my .02

Don't take "no" or "we can't do anything, just reapply" for an answer. Sure, as an organization, the FAA really doesn't care what your circumstances are. But somewhere in that bureaucracy, there might just be someone who just might be sympathetic to your situation and will be able to get you where you want to be. To find that person, you've got to be persistent and NICELY ask whomever your contacts are if there is anyone else they can refer you to or pass a letter to for you to plea your case. Until someone tells you there is nobody else that can do anything for you, keep working your way up the food chain.

Their selection process is so incredibly random that I can't imagine that there isn't someone who would consider someone's circumstances, provided you have the persistence on seeking that person out.

something that wasnt mentioned earlier....you might have gotten an email meant for somebody else with your same name...it happens quite a bit. even happened to me when i was at the pepc. before going to the pepc i knew what facility i was going to and the TOL had a completely different facility in a completely different state. turns out it was for a guy with the same name as me. just something to consider...good luck

They are you gonna put you where they need controllers. You don't want the place they give you? Take it or leave it. That's pretty much how it is working right now.

They don't care if you are qualified or well qualified. The only people with an advantage are VRA and CTI.

They are gonna keep up this hiring frenzy until 2012 (according to the FAA Hiring Plan). I know it's easier said than done, but patience COULD be a virtue...but then again who knows...

Thank you! Preferences mean nothing to the FAA. If they need controllers in Memphis, they will assign you to Memphis. If you don't want it, don't accept it...

I realize, we are working for them, but if we're qualified and made it this far...it sounds like some are saying there is no extra consideration for the employee, us.

We're dealing with the FAA, here.

Any solid proof or info on this?

Solid proof? On Jetcareers? Ha.

Really, you'd probably be wise to track down experienced controllers (note the plural) on this one. While most everyone here has good intentions, nearly everyone in this subthread is a PUBNAT applicant -- and we have a tendency to pick up something and repeat it over and over until it's just accepted as fact. Often it is, but sometimes it's exaggerated, incorrect or just plain wrong. If I were in you shoes, if I wanted to know how the FAA places controllers, I'd ask one -- not guys on their way to being one.

And if you do, be sure and let us know what they say. So we can pick it up and repeat it over and over, of course.

Back