what the crap? Couldn't get it to stall

Heaven forbid you string parts of a flight together during practical, every day application. Christ, if I make that mortal sin, I might end up piecing together an approach, round out and flare to miraculously come up with a smooth touchdown.

If they wanted us to teach and test slow flight to a stall, they would have made it one task, not two.

well, its not a student pilot, he already has a Private certificate. He owns the plane and when we are not carrying others he likes to get more familiar with the airplane, which I dig.

I can think of about a dozen ways to force it to stall, I was just weirded out because it didn't go like I expected.

But since this airplane feeds my kids I'm not going to try very hard.

Same thing happened to me the last time I went up with a CFI. We tried and tried to get it to break but it wouldn't in a power-on stall.

He thought about it later and said it was probably the CG...the 172SP we were flying is a little front heavy with two of us in it.

My bet is on a CG issue as well. I've had that twice, once in a 152 with me and a CFI, and once in an old 182. The 182 sucked because with power idle it didn't have enough elevator to really flare...I guess we should have run a weight and balance. But whoda thunk we'd be out with just 2 people and 30 gallons of gas?

well, its not a student pilot, he already has a Private certificate. He owns the plane and when we are not carrying others he likes to get more familiar with the airplane, which I dig.

I can think of about a dozen ways to force it to stall, I was just weirded out because it didn't go like I expected.

But since this airplane feeds my kids I'm not going to try very hard.

The unexpected can teach us alot. ;)

I've had the same thing happen to me. Couldn't feel any break, but defintely a (slow) descent rate. (I was solo that day and the plane was empty, so cp vs.cg not really a factor to explain it, but it took agressive forward elevator to recover.) After that happened, I researched it and concluded that I had perhaps experienced a deep stall. (which is generally an aft CG related issue.) Anyways, at that high angle of attack there's that low velocity wake that trails from the wing during the stall. If the horizontal stabilizer falls within that wake, elevator inputs and feel are definitely affected, which might explain the lack of feeling a break. If the wake is strong enough, the elevator inputs can become useless and its really difficult to recover. I'm not sure that i diagnosed it correctly, or if that explains my experience or yours, but thats my 2 cents for what its worth.

Back