what the crap? Couldn't get it to stall

bdhill1979

Gone West
So today I was showing my boss slow flight and stalls. Slow flight went as expected, then I told him to start pulling back slowly till it broke, but it never did. The elevator was all the way to the stop and it wouldn't go. We were at a very high AOA, the AI showed 20 nose up. The airspeed got as low as about 35 mph and all I got was a buffet starting at 40 mph, bottom of the white arc is 63 mph

I have about 600 hours in this airplane, I have stalled it before several times with the expected results.

I am confused as hell on this one.

Any ideas?

He flies smoother than you do? :laff:

I'll buy you a beer for that one. :rawk:

Well first off power off stalls shouldn't be entered from slow flight :p

Maybe you left a little power in?

Did you have a descent rate?

I have experienced a few stalls on those rare occasions where the nose wouldn't break but I was getting a descent rate.

Did you have a descent rate?

I have experienced a few stalls on those rare occasions where the nose wouldn't break but I was getting a descent rate.

That would be my guess. I remember a few times when I was instructing that the plane never nosed down, but we were still losing altitude.

Had the same syndrome on my first flight with a "Gutless" the other day.
Tad bit more on the back elevator trim and she broke. If you entered it shallow enough she would not break but enter a steady nose up descent. Add some power and start controlling it - and it starts to become the equivalent of standing in a elevator... :panic:

Yeah, its yer CG. Being a fairly big guy myself, I found the same problem quite a bit when instructing other big, or even not so big, folks. You can be well within the Weight/CG limits of many small aircraft but still run out of elevator authority at slower airspeeds. The cure is to shift you CG aft: load a few boxes of oil or some sandbags as far aft in the cargo area as you safely can. I used a 50lb barbell that our MX guys kept around. Run a new CG to insure your still within limits. I found the airplane to fly better at all speeds doing this, it also made the landing flare easier.

Timmah!

They care for training and checking possibly but thats about it. In my opinion entering stalls in the same manner every single time is poor practice.
To the OP you could also put the aircraft into a bank and it'll break.

This is the best advice so far. Bank.

The FAA doesn't want maneuvers strung together, however for practical practice I agree that different scenarios should be used to break the monontity. However for checkride preparation, ensure the SP knows to start and finish each maneuver individually.

This is the best advice so far. Bank.

The FAA doesn't want maneuvers strung together, however for practical practice I agree that different scenarios should be used to break the monontity. However for checkride preparation, ensure the SP knows to start and finish each maneuver individually.

Heaven forbid you string parts of a flight together during practical, every day application. Christ, if I make that mortal sin, I might end up piecing together an approach, round out and flare to miraculously come up with a smooth touchdown.

Back