What states have the biggest shortages?

cheri.jpg

Whatever you do, just don't pick Rhode Island or Massachusetts. They are terrible, awful places to live. You've been warned.

y'all r crazy thinkin about doin the big center jobs. I'm taking my sweet time with this career..

Top Choices for me: (in California)

KCCR, KAPC, KSTS. I've done at least 1 touch and go at every one of those airports and I'm a recreational aviation enthusiast.. no.. fanatic. I'd much rather support a majority of small private//corporate traffic for that purpose... Plus watching a G5 rotate on a STO at KCCR's 5000 footer is awesome. I can only imagine the view from the tower. (I only got to see it from atop my fuel truck when i was working there in highschool.)

Bigger is NOT better.

You know what aviation is to me? Flying a piper cub, windows open, baseball cap, wife beater, shorts, flip flops, over wine country. Forget ratings and engine performance and [bold]IFR[/bold] and money and blah blah blah. 60kts, 500 feet. middle finger dangling out over my neighbor's house.

Whatever you do, just don't pick Rhode Island or Massachusetts. They are terrible, awful places to live. You've been warned.

I would be happy to go to the Mass/RI area versus to where I am headed in Illinois. I would be more than happy to swap with anyone!

Everybody is always crying about teacher pay and I just dont get it. My sister in law is a math teacher and by the time she had worked for 4 years she was making close to 6ok per year and only working 9 months. that annualizes to 8ok per year for a day job with weekends off and full benefits. Also, her pay would keep going up from there until around 70k as I recall. Yeah that sounds super crappy. Wish I could get shafted like that.:crazy:

What ISD does your sister work for? I have 6 friends that work in the Dallas/ Fort Wroth meteroplex and they are only start off at aprox. 40k. With about 4 years under there belt they are making about 46k. They also work more than 9 months out of the year. Spring break = 1 week, Christmas/new years = 10 days. turkey day= 2 days and they do not get the whole summer off, they only get about 6 weeks off. With all the in service days and holidays they get about 8 weeks off

We are in California. Perhaps their pay is higher here due to a higher cost of living, but even 40k to start seems about par with most careers these days. Also in the summer time here she gets about 6-8 weeks off and then also gets 2 weeks off each for Spring and Winter Breaks. If she chooses to teach during summer school she would earn extra pay. Also there are after school programs where you can work to earn even extra pay. She also earned sick and vacation days.

If you reread your post you actually talk about 9 weeks off, plus in service and holiday days. Sounds like it would be closer to 3 months than 2 to me.( i.e. 6+1+2=9, not 8)

She works for high schools so maybe elementary make less? I would not doubt it if P.E. Teachers make less than math teachers or some others make less...but hey, after all, isn't supposed to be about the kids? Why is pay always the main point of discussion with teachers. Don't they love kids?

(Disclaimer: K-Dog does not love kids in general or have any desire to teach them or be in the same room with 30 of them)

y'all r crazy thinkin about doin the big center jobs. I'm taking my sweet time with this career..

Top Choices for me: (in California)

KCCR, KAPC, KSTS. I've done at least 1 touch and go at every one of those airports and I'm a recreational aviation enthusiast.. no.. fanatic. I'd much rather support a majority of small private//corporate traffic for that purpose... Plus watching a G5 rotate on a STO at KCCR's 5000 footer is awesome. I can only imagine the view from the tower. (I only got to see it from atop my fuel truck when i was working there in highschool.)

Bigger is NOT better.

You know what aviation is to me? Flying a piper cub, windows open, baseball cap, wife beater, shorts, flip flops, over wine country. Forget ratings and engine performance and [bold]IFR[/bold] and money and blah blah blah. 60kts, 500 feet. middle finger dangling out over my neighbor's house.

i agree completely :rawk:

You gotta put down a place where you would wonna live. I can understand that some people just wonna get their foot in the door and then transfer somewhere else later. But thats not what people who hire are looking for, they look for people that would stick to that facility for awhile.

You gotta put down a place where you would wonna live. I can understand that some people just wonna get their foot in the door and then transfer somewhere else later. But thats not what people who hire are looking for, they look for people that would stick to that facility for awhile.

It sounds like you must know something the rest of us don't...If you are connected...tell the hiring panel I will stay at my #1 choice for my whole career if they want me to.:rawk:

Back