What preflight maneuver did you have to teach?

Jayrock

I am just about finished with my lesson plans and will hopefully be going for my initial CFI in the next few months. One question I had that I hope others can share: what preflight lesson(s) did you have to teach to the examiner? Also, I'm assumming you don't know what the maneuver(s) will be in advance, just be ready to teach them all. Would that be correct?

Thanks.

Jayrock

I got to pick. I did S-Turns. Pretty Easy, just make sure to explain in full detail. Why we do the maneuver, How we do the maneuver, how to enter, Altitudes, Airspeed, PTS, Common Errors, etc.

I did lazy 8's for mine.

But i was prepared to teach anything, it shouldn't be a problem if you just know them all.

mine was power off 180. be ready to teach all of them...

as far as the flight be sure to ask the examiner if you need to perform or teach maneuvers as you fly. you'll find that most only will want you to perform the majority of them. they'll have you teach only one or two during the flight (and in most cases that is a landing....)

good luck - and keep asking questions. this is a great ride to be uber prepped for!

Lazy 8's was my poison. Like everyone said above - be ready to teach them all. For me, I was just felt a little more comfortable with that one. Don't ask me why.

Above and beyond ANYTHING.... Special Emphasis areas and required TASKS.

As my FSDO POI put it, "Why would anyone dream of showing up to a checkride not ready to go into depth on those? I mean, its like a free ticket out of jail that they label them like that in the PTS!"

As my FSDO POI put it, "Why would anyone dream of showing up to a checkride not ready to go into depth on those? I mean, its like a free ticket out of jail that they label them like that in the PTS!"

I agree, make sure you look those over well. I was asked to spit them out, and i nailed all 15.

On another note, Rumors have been flying around that the 15 only pertain to CFI's because they are not in the other PTS (private, comm, etc.) This is not true. All subjects are important, and I don't see why Special use airspace for example wouldn't pertain to a private, or comm. student.

I had 8s on pylons.

I might sound like a broken record, but make sure you can spout all of them out.

I had chandelles. I was lucky too, because that was the only maneuver that I knew anything about. :sarcasm:

Eights-on-pylons here. Like everyone said, be ready to teach anything. He kind of caught me unexpectedly when we were talking about stability and asked if I had a lesson plan for it. I only had what types and everything, but not a full fledged lesson plan so I had to through it together as I went because it was not something I practiced.

Good luck though... don't stress!!

i don't know. My oral was so long that i think i even covered why and how the universe was created, the meaning of life, an I think i even sang a monty python song.

:yeahthat: Basically you plan to touch on everything, but these are items you must know cold--expect no leeway from the examiner.

i don't know. My oral was so long that i think i even covered why and how the universe was created, the meaning of life, an I think i even sang a monty python song.

:yup:

Chandelles for me...he was mainly concerned that I would teach the DIFFERENCES between the left and right chandelles. When I covered that, it seemed he was satisfied and we moved on

Back