What makes an RJ an RJ?

naunga

The posts about JetBlue getting RJ's sparked this.

What makes an RJ an RJ? Number of seats, gross takeoff weight?

Thanks

Naunga

That's an interesting question and some carriers are now calling them 'small jets'. Traditionally RJ meant 50 seat jet. Now it has expanded to mean basically anything smaller than a DC-9. There isn't much difference between a 90 seat 'RJ' and a 717 or DC-9.

Jason

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks Naunga

[/ QUOTE ]

Without sounding like a smart A##. Because the manufacturers call them Regional Jets. I believe they were originally targeted at segments less than 500nm . I've heard several RJ pilots on the boards that dislike being called "regional" pilots. My response is, "Look at the sticker beside your entry door pal, It says Canadair Regional Jet." Same goes for the ERJ,Embraer Regional Jet.

Most of the RJs in service have limited seats (50 or less) and limited range. Several new RJs on the horizon, like the XRJ and the CRJ700/900 have increased seat numbers and increased range. (Who the heck came up with that bright idea?) I hope I never have to ride on the XRJ and CRJ900. I have ridden the ERJ on 1000nm segments several times, and it's not a pleasant trip. That's just my opinion.

Airlines have always taken planes out of their niche. By definition the 737 is a short haul aircraft. Now, look at how many 737s are on transcontinental flights. Notwithstanding the BBJ, which is a 737-700 with 6500nm range.

Did you know that Luftansa is operating 737's from Germany to the U.S.? Crazy stuff.

Cheers

John Herreshoff

Germany to the US on a 737?

Really? Which 737 and on what route? Do they stop in Shannon or something? Isn't there an ETOPS issue? I thought that Continental and Iceland Air using the 757 was about the only narrow body jet crossing the pond....

This is off topic, but to answer your question: LH operates the 737 (-800, I believe) on the DUS-EWR route non-stop. It is configured in an all business class layout (I'd love to fly on it someday.)

I would imagine range is what makes a regional jet 'regional'--and I'd agree with you guys that airlines are starting to abuse them--you can fly CO PSP-IAH-IAD--all the way across the country in a ERJ!

[ QUOTE ]
Without sounding like a smart A##. Because the manufacturers call them Regional Jets

[/ QUOTE ]
That's not a smart a$$ answer at all. Believe me I work for a company that thinks they're on the cutting edge when they put their product in a plastic jug. It's invovative because they said it was.

[ QUOTE ]
I've heard several RJ pilots on the boards that dislike being called "regional" pilots

[/ QUOTE ]
I can see that. Kinda makes it seem like they're not "real" pilots. Personally, I don't care if you call me a "scum-sucking dirt bag" pilot...I'd give my eye teeth to fly an EMB-145. Don't know why. I just think they're sexy planes. Of course I'd love to get paid to fly C172's all day too.

Anyhow, thanks for your insights.

Later.

Naunga

[ QUOTE ]
I have ridden the ERJ on 1000nm segments several times, and it's not a pleasant trip. That's just my opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ill take a seat on an RJ any day over the middle seat beside "Itchy" and "Scratchy" on a 737. Especially if it means i can go direct to my destination and not through some grand places like ATL!
grin.gif

You know, compared to the Saab 340, Jetstream 31 (ouch) and ATR-42, the regional jets are pretty nice!!! But the reality of the RJ is that they are more expensive to operate that turboprops, and the customer is paying for that nice new jet. If given the opportunity to save $50, and take an extra 30 minutes to get there, I'll take the JS31.

It seems that the line is getting very blurry between RJs and non-RJ jetliners. With the addition of 70-100 seat RJs, the main difference will be that RJs are all economy seating while 717s and the like have a first class section.

[ QUOTE ]

I've heard several RJ pilots on the boards that dislike being called "regional" pi

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't mind being called a regional pilot. It would be far more demeaning to be called a Barbie Jet Pilot.
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Did you know that Luftansa is operating 737's from Germany to the U.S.? Crazy stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually it was a 737-700 owned by PrivatAir (Swiss), PrivatAir is now flying the A319CJ "on bvehalf of Lufthansa" everyday except for Thuesdays on the DUS-EWR all business class route.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't comment on the number of seats, but I think there is a requirement that it must have less leg room than a C-152. Also, the heat/cooling system must be designed like an old 727. That is the type that is bone chillingly cold in some rows and blistering hot in others. If it is a ERJ, it must climb like a dog and take 20 minutes to get back up to cruise speed if ATC asks you to slow down. Those are the requirements that come to mind.

Back