What is your ideal schedule? And who offers it?

RogerMurdock

What is your realistic ideal schedule? Who offers it and what are you doing to get there?

Mine:

One of the only reasons I'm training to fly helicopters right now is to attain the 7/7 schedule (with the ability to be home even on work days). However, I don't really like where I'm training at, and also feel much more comfortable flying a fixed wing. I don't know much about what pilots consider a good schedule, but:

1) Are there fixed wing operators who offer 7/7? Maybe EMS outfits?Netjets?
2) Do you find other schedules more appealing? 5/2? Flex days?

I saw a thread recently that said someone's corporate schedule was 28/2. That sounds like a disaster.

I was home every night on a 4 on/3 off schedule at Cape Air; that was the best IMO, but I didn't make much money. Now I'm 17 on/13 off, and actually don't mind that at all. I'm off the last 13 days in August, and if I'm lucky, I might be able to get the first 13 days off in September (26 off in a row).

Aperture was 7 on 7 off 8 on 6 off (but day 8 didn't count as duty for whatever reason), and that was pretty neat. I've done long work blocks with outstation days off and they're actually surprisingly tolerable as long as the outstation doesn't suck and you're prepared for it.

Four day trips, four legs a day, AM shows, would be great, but you don't make any money on a four leg day on this machine.

The longest block of days off I've had at the present employer is 8 or maybe 9.

Long call reserve, if you live in base, is a wonderful thing.

Supposed to work 2, 8 on 6 off shifts a month. However, due to my SO position as well, I usually only work 1, 8 on 6 off per month. Lately, if not needed, I don't have to go out at all and all I miss out on is per diem. I can mostly pick and choose when and where I want to go, so life's good. I only fly little things and never reach the FL's though.

my 135 days as a caravan driver would have been been awesome if I lived in base (i.e. not float/reserve) Mon-Fri morning IAH-AUS (with Austin overnights) I live in Dallas

3 4 day trips with maybe a day trip thrown in worth about 80-85 hrs total for the month. Don't care what the trip is like, just get the hours.

Family and time home is important so I bid for 2-day trips that are typically one-leg day transcons, this way I get to see home everyday.

What is your realistic ideal schedule? Who offers it and what are you doing to get there?

Mine:

One of the only reasons I'm training to fly helicopters right now is to attain the 7/7 schedule (with the ability to be home even on work days). However, I don't really like where I'm training at, and also feel much more comfortable flying a fixed wing. I don't know much about what pilots consider a good schedule, but:

1) Are there fixed wing operators who offer 7/7? Maybe EMS outfits?Netjets?
2) Do you find other schedules more appealing? 5/2? Flex days?

I saw a thread recently that said someone's corporate schedule was 28/2. That sounds like a disaster.

We do 7/7 fixed wing EMS. Doing something in training only to attain that is pretty dumb though. There's a good chance other things will come along and change your plans.
I'd rather it be 14/14 though.

I'd say my current schedule is pretty darn good. I can't complain at all. 4 on/3 off, and many times I won't even fly on one or more of my on days. This week is a perfect example. By Sunday, I will have worked a grand total of 2 days this week. Can't beat that. Salaried too, so I make the same amount of money if I fly 4 days, or 1 day in a week.

Dude, this is your second thread that involves being unhappy with your training.

I'm going to suggest something: you need to read this book.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Dip-Little-Teaches-Stick/dp/1591841666

It's $12, and takes like an hour to read. It could be the best $12 and hour you ever spend in your life. If you have a big bookstore nearby, just go buy it there. And then buy a muffin, sit down, and read it. It will help you answer your questions for yourself better than any online forum, and it doesn't even have the word "helicopter" in it.

I don't have a schedule. But that being said I fly about 4 days a month and get about a weeks notice on trips.
Do I know if I'll be off in three weeks, no idea...which is the part I don't like.

Also EMS, also a 7/7 schedule. Also like it. Also think it's a kind of silly thing to base an entire career around.

I'm 15/13. I like it better than on call 24/7. The company also offers 8/6 but I grew tired of airlining to the east coast every rotation then airlining home from the east coast. At least with 13 days off I can work through the head cold and fatigue from my 20 hour saga of travel and get 8 meaningful days off.

My current one. I have been Corporate since 84 and worked a lot of weekends and holidays over the years. On the job I have had the last 6 years I hardly ever work weekends or holidays. Very few personal trips for the owner and when we do have one I can take my wife. The down side is short notice on trips during the week but I can put up with that to have the weekends off at the boat.

I average about 2 overnights a month.

My ideal schedule would be long call reserve out of SFO, but that's years down the road so who knows what carrier may offer that when I'm applying.

Ameriflight wouldn't be bad either if I could hold OAK. The schedule is not ideal in terms of days flying and time at out stations but not having to move and getting weekends off would be pretty awesome. Plus I'm nocturnal and semi-retarded most mornings which makes flying in the wee hours harder than it has to be. Giggity.

Back