What is your ideal schedule? And who offers it?

Right now? Fixed wing EMS 14/14, the 14 on is at the base across the country, sit around in crew apartment on call, then 14 off I get airlined home.
Also done Police fixed wing on the same sked, home preety much every night as well. I like the rotations!

Ideal would be 5 on 10 off. Work 10 days a month and have 20 off. Could sometimes have 10 at the end of one month and then 10 at the beginning of the next month. Those 5 days were all day time out and back as well. Left around 10am, back at 7-8pm. Could get a good work out in the morning and even play softball in the evening.

I had that for awhile at a charter airline on the MD-87. Could do about 70 hours of flying/month on that schedule. Actually got bored enough to pick up trips in some of the other bases on occasion. Having 10 days off in a row all the time leads to spending a lot of money traveling/playing.

Typhoonpilot

Close to what I do now but with shorter duty days and more reliability that I won't work on my weekend.

Ideally this would be my goal:
4 ten hour days on
3 days off wold fit the bill

Close to what I do now but with shorter duty days and more reliability that I won't work on my weekend.

Ideally this would be my goal:
4 ten hour days on
3 days off wold fit the bill

Well, as scheduled, that's actually what I had this last week.

We are 20/10 FW EMS. It's a good schedule for me. I try to pick up extra days, so this month will be 26/5. Sounds like a lot, but it's on call from home. I've been working today since 4am. Sitting on my couch with the GF making me coffee... I get to watch my cartoons almost every Saturday.

7/7 as an EMS relief pilot, FW and RW depending on company need. Loved the week off, it gave me time to work in my wood shop! AND I could pick up extra work if I wanted it.......

Dude, this is your second thread that involves being unhappy with your training.

I'm going to suggest something: you need to read this book.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Dip-Little-Teaches-Stick/dp/1591841666

It's $12, and takes like an hour to read. It could be the best $12 and hour you ever spend in your life. If you have a big bookstore nearby, just go buy it there. And then buy a muffin, sit down, and read it. It will help you answer your questions for yourself better than any online forum, and it doesn't even have the word "helicopter" in it.

I'll definitely check that out as I won't deny that I am unhappy with my current situation. I love flying and am trying to find the right course to take to achieve an all around good QOL; a light at the end of the tunnel so to speak. Helicopters seem to have better pay, better schedules, and better QOL, but as I've mentioned I don't see myself as a helicopter pilot necessarily.

I have the "work to live" mentality and I'm trying to see if fixed wing has any diamonds in the rough that coincide with large chunks of working followed by large chunks of time off. I have family all around the country and have an interest in traveling the world, so 2 weeks of work followed by 2 weeks of off time (or 7/7) would fit the bill quite nicely.

EMS seems to offer those schedules but it seems as though the fixed wing is extremely rare.

I kinda like the idea of a one week on/one week off arrangement like many Air Ambo operators offer.

Right now I have a three week on, one week off schedule. I enjoy it, but I will be bidding two on/two off down the road.

My current schedule is 6 on/ 4 off. However the last 2 of my 6 on is from home. So very often it turns into a 4 on/ 6 off. Pretty easy to get used to. :)

Whoa, only 7 days off a month doing Alaska flying? I bet youre racking up the hours though.

It usually ends up being closer to 10 days. I fly anywhere between 60 and 80 hours per month. Now that I have the Nome base I will be flying more.

It usually ends up being closer to 10 days. I fly anywhere between 60 and 80 hours per month. Now that I have the Nome base I will be flying more.
You are out of Nome now?

nome_and_harbor.jpg

What an ugly overcrowded, smog filled, freeway messed up, gazillion highrise, crime filled.........oh wait....that's L.A. lol

So that's your view when you land...........sigh. Beautiful. Man, you are going to freeze your giblets off in the winter though. Pretty close to the Arctic circle isn't it?? Post some damn photos over in from the road already!!!

Back