What is your greatest piece of advice

I’m actually suffering/learning a bit from this, primarily the second part where that 5% need corrective action because like you said they take niceness as weakness. Trying to learn how to establish alpha in a case like that but without hurting CRM. For the first 200-300 hrs, it was the mechanics of the new left seat, eg, dealing with flying with left hand, dealing with ops, dispatch, the operational stuff. But now I think for the 300-700 hr mark in the left seat as new, is learning how to deal with these kinds of FO dynamics.

It’s weird and it’s largely a pain in the ass because those types are stealthy. Once upon a time, the problem FOs would come to the cockpit adorned (festooned?) with “Yeah, they wanted to make me a line validation pilot, but this was too much funnnnnn, I was on the 330, but I’m down to the 320 for overtime flying opportunities, then either (a) “I was #2 at (regional)” or (b) “I’m a Galactic Megatron Mk IV general brigadier wing czar in the guard” and then you know you’re going to have to establish alpha. But some of the ne’er dowells wait until the sheen is off on the second or third leg to let their problem child out.

Yet another reason I full believe in psychological profilings and expansion thereof.

It’s weird and it’s largely a pain in the ass because those types are stealthy. Once upon a time, the problem FOs would come to the cockpit adorned (festooned?) with “Yeah, they wanted to make me a line validation pilot, but this was too much funnnnnn, I was on the 330, but I’m down to the 320 for overtime flying opportunities, then either (a) “I was #2 at (regional)” or (b) “I’m a Galactic Megatron Mk IV general brigadier wing czar in the guard” and then you know you’re going to have to establish alpha. But some of the ne’er dowells wait until the sheen is off on the second or third leg to let their problem child out.

Yet another reason I full believe in psychological profilings and expansion thereof.

Any tips or your real world example of establishing alpha? You can PM me if you’d like. I’m genuinely curious. As a real world nice guy, it’s an area I need work on.

As an example, older FO senior to me had skipped upgrade. He kept going on about how I was smart to take it and he was stupid. Last day of our trip and vacancy award comes out, he didn’t get Bus CA like he wanted. Now he’s visibly pissed.

Checklist reading, he cuts me off in response and moves to next item. Like say CA response might be “Checked and onboard” as soon as I say “checked” he cuts off to next item. Like just stating it “altimeters.” That kinda thing. This is last day of trip, so first time I said nicely “hey can ya slow down, I’m not that fast.” But I could tell he was pissed at the award and him not being CA while I was when junior to him. Trip ended and that was the end.

But what if trip continued and next leg it happens again? Establishing alpha how without being rude? If asking to slowdown isn’t good enough and he cuts you off again in checklist responses, what do you do? I ran it by a CA I know and trust, and he said he’d just tell him that every time he does that, he’d take it the checklist from the top again.

I don’t know. Maybe that’s too direct? Or is that good alpha? Stuff like that. I need to learn what’s too weak, too strong, and just middle when it comes to being alpha.

As an example, older FO senior to me had skipped upgrade. He kept going on about how I was smart to take it and he was stupid. Last day of our trip and vacancy award comes out, he didn’t get Bus CA like he wanted. Now he’s visibly pissed.

Checklist reading, he cuts me off in response and moves to next item. Like say CA response might be “Checked and onboard” as soon as I say “checked” he cuts off to next item. Like just stating it “altimeters.” That kinda thing. This is last day of trip, so first time I said nicely “hey can ya slow down, I’m not that fast.” But I could tell he was pissed at the award and him not being CA while I was when junior to him. Trip ended and that was the end.

But what if trip continued and next leg it happens again? Establishing alpha how without being rude? If asking to slowdown isn’t good enough and he cuts you off again in checklist responses, what do you do? I ran it by a CA I know and trust, and he said he’d just tell him that every time he does that, he’d take it the checklist from the top again.

I don’t know. Maybe that’s too direct? Or is that good alpha? Stuff like that. I need to learn what’s too weak, too strong, and just middle when it comes to being alpha.

"I'm sorry, that's too fast for me. Let's take it from the top. Listen, if there's something bothering you let's get it out now because you're clearly distracted."

Last edited:
Hardest part of being a “newish” FO is developing my chameleon skills... I’m worried my baby face will serve to backfire on me come upgrade time down the road, since I hate conflict in a professional setting. This thread is really helpful.

I have a very small number of pet peeves, but at least at my shop, single engine taxi out is the expectation, and thus the delayed start up is the FO’s job. I keep finding myself flying with Captains who pride themselves on waiting until the last minute to call for the delayed start, and thus turn me into the aviation equivalent of Vishnu.
hurr look at how much gas I'm saving hurr

hey why is that engine not running derp "Buzzsaw 5105, we need to pull off and 'work a problem'"

Question for those who have gone from CA on one plane to CA onto another plane with 0 time as FO on that new plane (eg, an Airbus CA to Boeing CA, having never flown a Boeing).

How long do you brief your FO about your new-ness? In this case on the airframe you have 0 time and they have more. You'd brief the 100 hrs and high minimum requirements which is an obvious heads up, but once that's over and all your legality stuff is completed, is there any general consensus as to how long or at what point you stop briefing your new-ness on that airframe to FOs? I've never worked at a multiple fleet carrier until now so I haven't seen this case (to be able to compare from a previous experience).

Question for those who have gone from CA on one plane to CA onto another plane with 0 time as FO on that new plane (eg, an Airbus CA to Boeing CA, having never flown a Boeing).

How long do you brief your FO about your new-ness? In this case on the airframe you have 0 time and they have more. You'd brief the 100 hrs and high minimum requirements which is an obvious heads up, but once that's over and all your legality stuff is completed, is there any general consensus as to how long or at what point you stop briefing your new-ness on that airframe to FOs? I've never worked at a multiple fleet carrier until now so I haven't seen this case (to be able to compare from a previous experience).

I went from CRJ CA to ERJ 175 CA with zero FO time, and I don’t think I really mentioned it after I was off low mins. I was surprised how seamless it was, honestly it was not a big deal at all.

The 175 FOs were a little uptight compared to CRJ FOs for some reason, I never did figure that one out. Everything about the 175, including the airports we flew into, was way easier.

I went from CRJ CA to ERJ 175 CA with zero FO time, and I don’t think I really mentioned it after I was off low mins. I was surprised how seamless it was, honestly it was not a big deal at all.

The 175 FOs were a little uptight compared to CRJ FOs for some reason, I never did figure that one out. Everything about the 175, including the airports we flew into, was way easier.
Of course they were! A 175 is a mainliner. They had to keep an eye on the street captain regional hire.

A courtesy mention of your lack of experience in the 737, in spite of being a long time captain, will build a foundation of crew coordination.

I think there needs to be a slice of humble pie. Captains aren't the know-it-all piece of the puzzle. You need to lean on your FO at times. I have no trouble, even in the position I'm in, telling the FO that I will need help on occasion, and if he/she is seeing something, mention it. I may be doing something he has never seen, and can explain it, or I'm doing something unintentional and heading towards an ASAP.

Captains aren't the know-it-all

Ahem.

Wait, this is a serious thread? Ok, your post stands. Something as simple as "hey, you know I've got 8 years at this airline but 30 hours on this plane, so keep an eye on me and if you see me doing something dumb, please tell me early enough that I can fix it" goes a long way.

Back