What is the worst landing you can remember?

My Worst landing, happend the day before i was suppose to solo !!!

Instructor: You have been doing good on your landings, and other maneuvers. If You nail this landings today then you will solo tomorrow.

Me: Okay..
10 feet above the runway i was not flaring so the aircraft hit the deck pretty hard( all three wheels ).

Me: Lets try that again; i can do better

Instructor: Okay.. Just flare on time this time, okay??

Me: Okay.

We got to the Runway. I cut the power, started flaring @ 20 feet.We hit the Runway hard and the A/C Bouncing 3 time into the air.

Instructor: I think we should call it a day. Were here to do touch and go's not Bounce and Go's..
crazy.gif

Me: Yea. But I'm sure I'll do better Tommorrow when i solo !!!
grin.gif

Instructor: Ammmmmm.... No...
crazy.gif
frown.gif

Me:
frown.gif

I have had two bad landings. The first one was during my first solo cross-country flight. I was landing at York, PA and because the winds were gusting, I decided to keep a little extra airspeed. To add to it, there is a displaced threshold there which I had never encountered except for in the text book. Also, I was flying a 172 I'd never flown before. So I'm over the runway, aiming for the touchdown point and I totally misjudged it. I bounced and instead of going around, tried to save it. The result was porpoising and a slow drift to the left side of the runway. Luckily, I managed to regain control. I had a mechanic check out the nose gear after that one. That landing freaked me out and I lost a lot of confidence. But during my second cross-country, I landed fine in 3 places with winds variable and gusting. I ma glad my confidence returned.

The second bad landing was more embarissing than anything. I took one of my friends flying and didn't quite compensate with enough right rudder. Even to this day, she talks about how we landed sideways.
blush.gif

Mahesh

I was landing a Stearman with my nieghbor at dusk with no landing light and at the last second I saw deer on the runaway pulled up forgot the power and bounced 'er in from a couple feet. Then one time I was out in a 170 with my other nieghbor to go over and get some lunch. We took off and the weather was good we got over there and the winds where 25 knots! Just as we were in the flare the wind shifted and I bounced it down 5,000 feet of runaway and took the last exit. I think I logged 6 landings on that pass.
blush.gif

Citationkid, i would love to see your logbook, remember you can only log time with a CFI, not just any pilot that take syou for a ride. The Stearman story sounds a little fishy to me, I spoke to a Airforce pilot with thousands of hours of F-16, F4 time who happened to own a Stearman (Biplane, Taildragger). He said that that airplane was probably the hardest aircraft he has ever had to land, it just wants to ground loop....

Well if you would like to talk to the pilot/owner his name is Joe Hudson. He was helping me out of course. The first time he let a kid land it by themself (w/o his help) the idiot slammed on the brakes and flipped it. Sad story. Joe is a pretty famous pilot in the area I come from he owns the airport I live on and is considered the best pilot around. The 170 was with an ex-airline captain(also Joe; there are 7 joes on our airport; DE25 if you don't belive me that I live on an airport). Joe's got about 10,000 hours in the stearman so if any one can teach you to land it, it would be him. He used to spray crops in 'em for about 45 years real nice guy. The 170 the same way about the Ground Loops. To tell you the truth I hate taxing tail draggers. I almost ran off the runway my first time
frown.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Citationkid, i would love to see your logbook, remember you can only log time with a CFI, not just any pilot that take syou for a ride. The Stearman story sounds a little fishy to me, I spoke to a Airforce pilot with thousands of hours of F-16, F4 time who happened to own a Stearman (Biplane, Taildragger). He said that that airplane was probably the hardest aircraft he has ever had to land, it just wants to ground loop....

[/ QUOTE ]

rausda27,

you are forgetting one thing. I am sure this kid could land it because Commander Harmon Rabb, Jr from JAG has no problem doing it.
grin.gif
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll give the kid the benefit of the doubt. When I was his age, I soaked up every bit of information about aircraft and flying without even trying. My father flew Jetrangers for the NJ State Police and I could run through the autorotation procedure off the top of my head (don't ask me now!). Things change when you have to learn this stuff for real and be tested on it repeatedly to standards. Until then, tho, it's just a free adventure without responsibility. Enjoy it, kid, it's a wonderful gift in life and great advantage if you choose to go pro someday.

My dad flies 407's and Longranger's for the Delaware State Police. I'm not a very good helicopter pilot tho. Never really get a chance to fly 'em. I would love to get my ratings some day tho.

eatsleepfly: the 235 is quite easy to land actually. You just need to put a couple people up front, and at least one in back. And don't chop power too soon, which is true for all the hershy bar cherokees. I've got around 40hrs in a 235, and discovered really quick it lands better with the nice CG you get with someone in back. Was my instructors plane we used during most of my instrument training, so I was always looking for someone to come along. It is harder though with no one back there. That nose gets real heavy as the power comes back.

Josh

Yeah, I finally got them down (right before I moved away and stopped flying it). Cool plane though. I used to be able to get an amazing climb rate with just me in there doing a Vx climb on half tanks. Yeee haaaaw!!!!!
cool.gif

Back