What is the worst landing you can remember?

[ QUOTE ]

Hey Doug, do you remember in 1990 when I pranged N5124E on the runway at PRC after touching down in a crosswind that shifted to a tailwind?

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course! And the b*stards didn't even let you keep the prop!
smile.gif

I remember the airplane was cursed for a while. "Hey man, I don't want Riddle 24! it's possessed!"

[ QUOTE ]
Of course! And the b*stards didn't even let you keep the prop!
smile.gif

I remember the airplane was cursed for a while. "Hey man, I don't want Riddle 24! it's possessed!"

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, the prop, nosewheel, and firewall were pretty jacked up. I remember all you guys coming with Nacho (the mechanic) to come "tour" my handiwork.

You guys wanted to hang it on the wall of our apartment along with that darn burnt-to-a-crisp pizza that was hanging on the wall forever.

After Riddle 50 and 67 had the midair in 1992, no one wanted to fly R67 thinking it was unlucky. I used to tell people that an aircraft that has a midair and recovers is the luckiest plane in the fleet; I'd fly it any day.

[ QUOTE ]
From what I've experienced, they're reeeeeaaaallllyyyy, REEEEEAAAALLLYYYY strong!

[/ QUOTE ]

You can tell he has flown with me!
wink.gif

That burnt pizza is notorious!

[ QUOTE ]
Hey Doug, do you remember in 1990 when I pranged N5124E on the runway at PRC after touching down in a crosswind that shifted to a tailwind?

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember. I gave you a new nickname:

"Nick... Nick Prop..."
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

"Nick... Nick Prop..."
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Remember the burnt pizza? Or the time we all went in my Surburban up around the Thumb Butte road in the snow and ice and I lost control of it around that curve, putting us into the mountainside?

[ QUOTE ]
Remember the burnt pizza? Or the time we all went in my Surburban up around the Thumb Butte road in the snow and ice and I lost control of it around that curve, putting us into the mountainside?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I can never forget that.

"What the hell are you doing over here? You should be over THERE behind the wheel!"

Nothing is better than 4 wheeling in the snow with bald tires...

The best was when we backed into the side of the overpass to get your bumper to stay on after it got pulled off by that car that cut it a little too close when going around the corner.

*SNIFF SNIFF* I miss that old Suburban!

A toast to the the Suburban! I hope she fared well in Demolition Derby!
cool.gif

Tooo many go arounds to count. . .

Absolute worst was landing in 7ND when the parking brake slipped on in flight. I'd only been on the ground a few nanoseconds, as time stopped, hearing the worst protest from the mains, looked down, immediately saw the problem, as the airplane is careening side-to-side, released the brake, regained aircraft control, and got the dickens out of there. I didn't even flat spot the tire, but you did see the tread pattern change. Looking over the aircraft's maintenance records, the parking brake did that several times. Replacing a worn fitting was the ultimate answer.

Another landing was in that same POS airplane (tried to kill me 2 times!) on the commerical end-of-course stage check. The CFI for that trip was a newly upgraded Eagle Captain and I was a lowly ramp rat. On departure, the **** gear wouldn't come up completely, then wouldn't lock down. The Captain explained in detail on that long downwind how he's not PIC... I'm sure his career was flashing before his eyes. On final I looked out at a sea of flashing lights from the crash vehicles. Everything that we could do had been done, checklists, briefings, prayers. You are so alone at that point. What goes up must come down, but, we were relatively safe aloft. Why couldn't we just stay aloft??!!!!

That was the *best* soft field landing I've ever done.

Fly SAFE!
Jedi Nein

[ QUOTE ]
So far, the worst landing Ive ever had resulted in a go around... i was doing touch and goes with my instructor and i was about to drop it in. My instructor grabbed it from me, but instead of executing a go around, he added a little power to try to smooth it out... the damn thing wobbled, and then *BAM* struck the tail, and nosed forward... my instructor cussed, applied full power and we went around.... we didnt say another word till halfway downwind. Bad case of ego getting in the case of judgement.

Then there was the time i almost ran off the landing strip in a piper cub... but i didnt, so i guess it was an ok landing
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha, just another day in the life of a CFI! Living the dream! Living the dream!
grin.gif

Oh man, the suburban was great!

Nothing like 10 or 12 'Riddle geeks in a beat up suburban cruising for chicks on Gurley Street!

"Woo, hop in the car! And bring some oil!"

[ QUOTE ]
Oh man, the suburban was great!

Nothing like 10 or 12 'Riddle geeks in a beat up suburban cruising for chicks on Gurley Street!

"Woo, hop in the car! And bring some oil!"

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, and that's what we did too. Even had the extra case of oil.

Copa: I remember now when we went under that train concrete over pass in order to ram the truck's bumper straight.

Doug: Remember the night when I passed out in the snow outside out apartment at Antelope, and you had to come find me?

[ QUOTE ]

Yup, and that's what we did too. Even had the extra case of oil.

[/ QUOTE ]

And you can't forget the monthly trips to AutoZone to get a new waterpump.

"MIKE!" the AutoZone guy would cheer (almost like Norm on Cheers) "The usual?"

"That's right, give me another water pump."

Then Mike would go re-install the thing. The hood would be open, and I'd ask, "Has anyone seen Mike?"

"I'm in here!" would come the voice from inside the engine bay under the hood.

They sure don't make them like that any more...

Hey Mike, does your Mom still have that Caddy with that ENORMOUS engine? That had to be the BIGGEST car engine I've ever seen...

[ QUOTE ]
[Hey Mike, does your Mom still have that Caddy with that ENORMOUS engine? That had to be the BIGGEST car engine I've ever seen...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup. 1974 Sedan DeVille with the 501 big block under the hood.

The Auto Zone in PRC loved me.

[ QUOTE ]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Nick... Nick Prop..."

[/ QUOTE ]

This one time, at band camp....

grin.gif

I had a tail-strike in a Riddle 172 a couple years ago. No excuse. They checked it out, no damage either. I've also had a couple of shiners (you know, like the bruise) in a Cherokee 235. I don't know why (don't have enough hours in it to figure it out), but that thing is a menace to land nicely.

Well, Landing in a C-152 at LYH (Lyncburg Regional). It was my first encounter with a cross wind and I was alone...

When I came down on runway 22, I touched down and next thing I knew I was on my front and left main skidding across the runway towards the grass. I freaked, all I could think of was the propeller about to stike the runway, the plane flipping over and my name in the Obitchuaries.

So I powered up, took up the flaps and pulled back. I went up, out of ground affect and then I began falling back towards the runway, near stall. I was Scared to DEATH! I was real shaken up, called the tower and said I was going back to Falwell (Local airport I train out ot)...

DeltaASA16

Okay,...guess I hafta confess mine as well...

Got my PPL about 8 years ago, and haven't really flown since. Did my BFR last month and did surprisingly well (*almost* "like riding a bicycle again")...and apparently I got cocky because of it...

So I went solo a few days later, flew around the area to get a "feel" for flying again....and it was about time to go home.....and there I am, on final for 29, all happy....slightly breezy, around 10 knots from 310, I decide to go for only 10 flaps in a 172, stay a little fast because of the crosswind.....and because I felt that "I know how to land an airplane, sheesh!", I didn't really pay attention to my airspeed....about 80knots...

Flare, and wait for airspeed to bleed off, and then the reality hits me...I'm still at 20' AGL, and half of the 3000' runway is behind me....so I did the UTMOST, NEVER-DO rookie maneuver...nosed down..I still don't know what prompted me to do that... Needless to say, I yanked up JUST as the right wheel SLAMMED the runway and I bounced back up. Immediately informed the airspace that I'm going around, wondering if I'd left part of the airplane bouncing along the runway as I left it.

I was never so angry and embarrased at myself for doing what I did, went home and went over my nearly-hazardous mistakes. My biggest lesson was: the airplane isn't a bicycle....operate it, or it will operate you.

Definitely a landing as a pre-solo guy. Flying a Warrior, I had a nice stable approach then I felt the mains make contact, nose wheel hit and I thought we were out of the woods. Unknown to me, I didn't look at the airspeed indicator, we were still going about 60 knots. We sprung right back up, which caught me totally off guard.
That landing let me know that a flight isn't over with until your walking safely away from the plane.

Back