What is it really like to Train/Teach at DCA

yankee_one,

So as an Admissions Officer for DCA, can you give me your top ten reasons to attend DCA over all the other part 141 schools. And just to avoid getting flamed on this forum you might want to leave off the guaranteed interview reason.
smile.gif

If you go with student housing you can use a cable modem. Delta Connection Academy even throws in hordes of cockroaches and spiders in the apartments at no additional charge. Check you shoes before you put them on.

Ahhh...they make their own STANDARDS (key word) that are higher than the required standards, which cost more money?

Hmmm....

[/ QUOTE ]

You almost got it. We hold students to PTS limits throughout the ratings. But the PTS book is not an instruction tool, it is an evaluation tool only. You can ignore all the other posts of guys that left DCA for another place just to comment on how laxing those outifts are ( and I am not generalizing here!). And probably nearly every student that trained at DCA will tell you that the quality of training is top-notch and they were glad they got it.

DCA has a flight standards department, which is responsible to the quality control of our pilots. They issue Flight Standards Manuals for all aircraft in our fleet. Safety and procedures,as well as operations of our aircraft are also part of it. Airlines have used Flight Standards Manuals and company procedures for quite some time. We try to emulate the Airline environment as much as possible so students and instructors will adapt to the "culture" easier.

Now you may be a hell of a good intructor and have your student's best interest at heart. But not everyone out there is like that. After flying with some students that have some of their ratings done at their local FBO's I am not impressed. From not knowing the basics of the national airspace system, to not knowing how to use an E-6B or how to interpret weather... I've seen enough. And I am a newbie!!!! One of our current students that hold a Private Pilot's license had the Private Gleim handed to him and told to "study it". He "passed" the FAA written and that was all the groundwork he had! God knows what kinds of questions were asked duiring the oral portion of his checkride...No wonder AOPA's legal counsel plan is so popular...

I will stop here as there are plenty of material for you to have fun with.
buck.gif

[ QUOTE ]
We try to emulate the Airline environment as much as possible so students and instructors will adapt to the "culture" easier.

[/ QUOTE ]

HaHaHA......so please enlighten us. How exactly do you fly your 152's "Airline Style". So is it actually true you have pushback procedures for them too?

[ QUOTE ]
Delta Connection Academy even throws in hordes of cockroaches and spiders in the apartments at no additional charge. Check you shoes before you put them on.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would SO pass out. I'm more arachnophobic than 11 year old girl.

[ QUOTE ]
We try to emulate the Airline environment as much as possible so students and instructors will adapt to the "culture" easier.

[/ QUOTE ]

That sucks. You don't learn how to do things "outside the box", huh?

[ QUOTE ]
]
Now you may be a hell of a good intructor and have your student's best interest at heart.

[/ QUOTE ]

well, since you mention it....
smirk.gif
grin.gif

Do you have the option to switch instructors, or are you forced to stay with the one you're assigned. It seems that the good ones would always be booked, and the bad ones would have wide open schedules, and your chances of getting stuck with a bad instructor are pretty high.

If the answer is that you can switch, does that really happen, or is it an unwritten rule that "you just don't do that"

If you are not satisfied with your instructor all you have to do is talk to the group managers and they will get you flying with someone else. And nobody will hold that against you, so it is not an unwritten rule.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

HaHaHA......so please enlighten us. How exactly do you fly your 152's "Airline Style". So is it actually true you have pushback procedures for them too?

[/ QUOTE ]

Believe it or not we even have a Flight Standards Manual for the 152!

Now refering to the sarcasm about flying "Airline Style"... you really missed the point on my post didn't you?

From integrating CRM to attention to detail in every preflight, to standardized procedures... our courses were initially developed by COMAIR Airlines personnel that wanted more from school graduates than just the FAA licenses...

That is why a 1000 hour academy graduate has little problem , specially now with the bridge program, going through FO training.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
]

There is a difference wiith Technique and Procedure. You can use different techniques to perform a maneuver. But procedures are standardized. And that means that whoever is flying with you knows exactly what to expect, no surprises to when checklists are called and acomplished and how things are done...

[/ QUOTE ]

smirk.gif
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You are welcome! Hey good job on your website
cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
]

There is a difference wiith Technique and Procedure. You can use different techniques to perform a maneuver. But procedures are standardized. And that means that whoever is flying with you knows exactly what to expect, no surprises to when checklists are called and acomplished and how things are done...

[/ QUOTE ]

smirk.gif
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks!! I'm actually working on improving it. Dreamweaver is awesome...when you can figure it out...
grin.gif

cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks!! I'm actually working on improving it. Dreamweaver is awesome...when you can figure it out...
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I need to get my A#$$% up and going on my site... I have a ton of stuff from the time I worked on Bikini Atoll and I am also planing to show what goes on at DCA, the good the bad and the ugly...

I have also written a Dive guide to Bikini Atoll that is in the process of being edited... I will send you a copy when it comes out.

I have lots off friends in the Military.... some of them are having to deal with a lot of sand lately....

Yeah, the term "pound sand" is taking on an entirely new meaning these days....

I have moments with my webpage. A week will pass and I'll not want to even see it. The next week, I'm dozing on the freeway because I refused to go to bed the night before. Weird...

[ QUOTE ]
yankee_one,

So as an Admissions Officer for DCA, can you give me your top ten reasons to attend DCA over all the other part 141 schools. And just to avoid getting flamed on this forum you might want to leave off the guaranteed interview reason.
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Delta Connection Academy
Top 10 Reasons to Choose us!

1. 15-year track record of sending 98% of our Flight Instructors to 26 Airlines.
2. We get you hired at the best quality airlines in the industry which fly jets.
3. We have held an Instructor Standardization Class (new Instructor hires) every month for the last 6 years (even through 9/11).
4. Our graduates that are airline pilots will train you to fly RJ’s for our Delta Connection Carriers while you attend our Jet Bridge Program, which is a free course (value up to $6,208.00) for our Instructors.
5. We have the best maintenance facility anywhere. (i.e. FAA Diamond award for maintenance).
6. We provide you with standardized airline training that is in direct parallel with airline training at the regional and mainline levels, and we have access to airline resources (i.e. providing our students with a behind the scenes tour of Delta, and giving you an opportunity to fly Delta’s full motion simulators).
7. You will train in high-density airspace (Class B) with access to almost every type of instrument approach.
8. We provide our Flight Instructors with unlimited Delta travel privileges for themselves and family.
9. We are fully accredited by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges of Technology (ACCSCT).
10. You can train full time or part time, based on your needs. We have 5 locations.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
yankee_one,

smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Delta Connection Academy

1. 15-year track record of sending 98% of our Flight Instructors to 26 Airlines.

[/ QUOTE ]

Blatant lie. That doesn't work until you throw your little "second phase of the program" crap in there. I know personally, or see often, at least 6 people that went to Comair. 2 are CFI's and 1 flight on-demand cargo. That's 50% that aren't at an airline...

Our second phase IS flight instructing. And of the 6 you know 3 are not at an airline.. Call me crazy, but I think we've sent a few more then 6 graduates out of here. As a matter of fact, since January 04 we've had nearly 100 flight instructors interviewed and hired at Regional Airlines flying jet equipment.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
yankee_one,

smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Delta Connection Academy

[/ QUOTE ]

Blatant lie. That doesn't work until you throw your little "second phase of the program" crap in there. I know personally, or see often, at least 6 people that went to Comair. 2 are CFI's and 1 flight on-demand cargo. That's 50% that aren't at an airline...

[/ QUOTE ]

Lloyd,

You seem like a real nice guy and a good, honest Marine. I hope I can add open-minded too. However, comments like these (accusing somebody of a 'blatant lie'), without having the facts, at least make you appear close-minded and openly hostile. I'll choose to assume that is not really the case.

I have personally seen data that backs up the claim of 97% placement rate (no, Frank was not the one who showed it to me). When the claim of 98% is made, I am not that skeptical. Keep in mind these are CFI's who complete the program, to include instructing at the school. If you do not complete that 'phase', it stands to reason you would not be guaranteed an interview, and therefore not included in these results. If you would like to see numbers of enrollments to airline hires, join the club. I can guarantee they will not be published. Not only would it not represent the success of the school placing pilots at airlines, it wouldn't be good marketing. From unofficial, non-scientific, pure guestimation, I would say about a third that enroll are placed by DCA at airlines. This could be way off though and is only based on people that I have observed in my slightly 2+ years there.

When I took a tour of the place back in 2000, I was plainly told the guaranteed interview and placment rate are based on being hired as a CFI there and completing the 800 hrs dual. I knew the 97% couldn't be a placement/enrollment, and was never told so. But, if I could do well, study hard, and work hard, I stood a great chance at being hired as a CFI and then at an airline. As a CFI there, I was asked by admissions officers to talk to a prospective students (alone) about the process. This is exactly the kind of thing I told them when asked about airline hiring. There is no grand deception scheme. That said, I don't know the first thing about professional marketing. Marketing the product in a positive light, while it may upset some, makes sense to me.

Frank,
When did the placement rate go up a percent? I figured with all the success this year, that may have happened.

Congrats, btw on the success you guys are having with the enrollments. I am sure you are working hard these days. How did your 'new' house fair in the hurricanes this season?

[ QUOTE ]

10. You can train full time or part time, based on your needs. We have 5 locations.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm interested in the Jetconnect program where I come in with a commercial rating, and get the multi-engine, CFI and CFII from DCA. Then go back to my local FBO as an instructor for 800 hours, then return to DCA for my MEI etc.

Can I still train at one of the other 4 locations under this program, or is Sanford the only one?

Back