What is it like in Florida?

Florida is multiple planets and cultural spheres folded into a limp-penis shaped state dangling off the lower-east side of the USA.

Yes, I grew up there.

For my money, the gulf coast is better than the Atlantic side. Seems to be a little more laid back. Cost of living is fairly low in Jacksonville, and stays consistently low going down the coast...picks up a little in Tampa, and then increases a little more the further you go south.

Florida has a wide spread of economic conditions. There are extremely wealthy people there, and there are extremely poor people...the middle class seems to be a minority.

The point being, you need to explore and find what niche is going to be good for you. I never liked S. Florida...there was always this psychic-undercurrent of violence in the air...but I get the same vibe in L.A. so maybe it's me.

I still love Sarasota, and if I had kids would consider raising them there. Maybe Venice, a little further south.

I highly recommend you visit several times and figure out what you like.

Hurricanes? Not a big deal really... A little rain and a little wind ;)

Did I miss the :sarcasm:?
I forget-@ 4 am on either I-4 or I-10 in Florida, I was trying to get my diesel truck up under a bridge during some BadAzz T-Storms and had to go west as another truck was already blown over off the exit ramp. They had tornadoes popping all over the place and I was just ahead and behind them- I think Wintergarden got the worst of it that night.
I've flown T-Storms in Texas, too- Dirty Diaper night @ work.

I love hurricanes , I cut trees for a living , so there great for me!

That's excellent. I had a good friend who used to be in the sign making business. Hurricanes and such were great for him too.

Did I miss the :sarcasm:?
I forget-@ 4 am on either I-4 or I-10 in Florida, I was trying to get my diesel truck up under a bridge during some BadAzz T-Storms and had to go west as another truck was already blown over off the exit ramp. They had tornadoes popping all over the place and I was just ahead and behind them- I think Wintergarden got the worst of it that night.
I've flown T-Storms in Texas, too- Dirty Diaper night @ work.

No sarcasm... I've been through many storms, including Andrew. I didn't say I was driving during those storms. :panic:

Go to Hawai'i like me! :D
I lived in West Palm my whole life, until i moved here in MO like 3 years ago. I was born in Hawaii, and plan on going back for college when I graduate high school!

No income tax, great flying weather, tons of flight schools, and....
AGL = MSL.
Also very few Californians. I've lived in Stuart, Miami, Jacksonville, and Naples.

Miami = South America with capitalism

Jacksonville and North Florida is a completely different mindset. Much more country type of living.

Naples = Fortune 100 types live here, tons of money. Every time I lift off from KAPF I look down and see a Billion sitting on the tarmac

Stuart = middle classed naples of the East Coast.

Naples and Stuart natives are MUCH older, very few in their 20's and 30's. Not the best place to be for dating. Seams all the girls in Naples automatically go for my European students.

Miami = Tons of phony people, egotistical people, wannabe's, shallow people, selfish people. Besides all that, it is the place to be for party animals. All my friends are in Miami.

Since Naples is my official home, I like it the best.

Back