What if... No 3 green on Space Shuttle Landing?

Hoot Gibson was a pilot of one mission (STS-41B) and commanded 4 others: STS-61C, 27, 47, and 71..
just a friendly FYI.
And yes he did fly for SWA until the age-60 rule kicked in.

As for the belly landing: the ceramic tiles are more fragile than egg shells, so would not provide a good landing, and the highly dangerous hypergolic fuels (used for on-orbit maneuvering) would create an instant fireball/explosion and what be catastrophic. That's why the gear is triple-redundant and if all-3 systems fail, they're blown down by pyrotechnics;
I didn't know Kevin Kregal STS-70, 78, 87, 99) was flying for SWA, but I do know Curt Brown (STS-47,66,77,85,95,103) flies for I believe American Airlines.

Hoot Gibson was a pilot of one mission (STS-41B) and commanded 4 others: STS-61C, 27, 47, and 71..
just a friendly FYI.

As for the belly landing: the ceramic tiles are more fragile than egg shells, so would not provide a good landing, and the highly dangerous hypergolic fuels (used for on-orbit maneuvering) would create an instant fireball/explosion and what be catastrophic. That's why the gear is triple-redundant and if all-3 systems fail, they're blown down by pyrotechnics;
I didn't know Kevin Kregal STS-70, 78, 87, 99) was flying for SWA, but I do know Curt Brown (STS-47,66,77,85,95,103) flies for I believe American Airlines.

Welcome to JC!

:hiya:

If I had shuttle time and was in an interview and they asked to see my logbook, I'd probably just stare at them :D

just a friendly FYI.

Excellent post, welcome.

Why would you need to worry? The space shuttle runway is like Three Miles Long. There would just be a belly up landing. That's All.

Thanks for the welcome - I've lurked for a long time lol Great forums, I'll try to post more!
Please do! it sounds as though you have a good grasp on the space program and i know, me myself, I would LOVE to hear more about it!! :D

Why would you need to worry? The space shuttle runway is like Three Miles Long. There would just be a belly up landing. That's All.
ya think so? i would think there would be more to worry about since the heat from re-entry is still absorbed into the belly tiles.. add that to the friction heat between belly tiles and runway and i would think you'd end up with a fireball cuz that heat has to go somewhere.

Thanks Kristie,

Yeah, it'd be a very "bad day" , which is why the gear is going to come down. Actually the day they lost Columbia, when they started getting the tire-pressure messages indicating the left maingear had lost pressure, before they realized what was actually happening, they thought maybe that was their only problem, which would've resulted in an out of control vehicle on the runway or if the left side had collapsed, basically a loss of vehicle and crew. So they were contemplating a scenario of going out over the ocean past KSC for a bailout procedure; of course w/in minutes much worse had happened.
Sometime if I can find it I'll post a picture I got with Curt Brown a few years ago and my story of being a VIP at a launch and landing at KSC several years ago :)

The tiles actually aren't containing any heat at that point; that's the magic of them, that they can dissipate 3000-degree heat almost instantly. Like I said, the hypergolic propellants will do you in; that's why after the landing (and after the tv coverage has returned to "regular scheduled programming") there's all kinds of vehicles surrounding the orbiter blowing away toxic gases that are venting off and later, hoses and whatnot are connected to drain off the risidual propellant.

Yeah I'm quite the spacebuff :) I can remember the first shuttle launch in 1981 like it was yesterday, I was 6 years old. I also was lucky enough to be taken by my mother to a launch that happened to be going on my 9th birthday :D
It's late so will save the VIP story for later.....

Back