What if... No 3 green on Space Shuttle Landing?

This reminds me of a dream I had a while back!

I'm landing the Space Shuttle. It's a really nice approach.

Then, I hear on frequency,

"Shuttle Endeavor, turn right heading 090....

..... we're putting Southwest in front of you..."

:yup:

22 posts and not a single Houston we have a problem joke? Sheesh. That is weak fellas.

I think the only thing that could be done is to pucker up. They drop the gear seconds prior to touchdown so there isn't much time for anything. Ceramic tiles probably skid fairly well too.

22 posts and not a single Houston we have a problem joke? Sheesh. That is weak fellas.

I think the only thing that could be done is to pucker up. They drop the gear seconds prior to touchdown so there isn't much time for anything. Ceramic tiles probably skid fairly well too.

Actually the Houston joke ties in with Southwest.

It's usually where I get turned out so they can go in front of us. :)

And as I've said before on this forum, anyone who wishes to visit Johnson Space Center, for Jetcareer members, the invitation is open! :)

Man, I've got to remember that! I've been in Houston a couple times in the last year and a Space Center tour would have been the cat's meow!

Man, I've got to remember that! I've been in Houston a couple times in the last year and a Space Center tour would have been the cat's meow!

Well, make sure to put it on your agenda for next time.

SWA? My recollection is they have/had two. Kevin Kriegel and Hoot Gibson are/were employed with them. Haven't checked lately.

Last time I saw Kevin was at Home Depot, but I never asked if he was still with SWA.

Eileen Collins is a DL wife :D

"So what's your wife do"
"Oh, she flies too"
"She on a trip?"
"Yeah, it's a 2 week trip"
"Oh man, that's a long trip, where's she go?"
"The space station"

:laff:

There is also a former Shuttle Commander at Delta. He was my Dad's FO sometime in the mid-nineties.

There is also a former Shuttle Commander at Delta. He was my Dad's FO sometime in the mid-nineties.

Do shuttle pilots get priority over others? Are minimums not applied or type ratings not required? Or do they go from flying the shuttle to working a regional or buy a 737 type to get on with SWA?

Do shuttle pilots get priority over others? Are minimums not applied or type ratings not required? Or do they go from flying the shuttle to working a regional or buy a 737 type to get on with SWA?

Useually they have plenty of millitary jet time, and therfore can bypass the regionals.

However they still start at the bottom of the senoirity list.

Im sure most of you have seen the shuttle landings on TV before. And a few lucky ones in person. The time between gear extension and mains touchdown is a mere 17 seconds. I know the chances of a gear extension failure on the space shuttle are slim to none. But obviously the shuttle is not invincible to failures. I.E. Challenger and Columbia. As well as many other failures im sure, though not leading to such disasters. 17 seconds is a pretty short amount of time to execute any (memorized im sure) checklist for such an event. I wonder what the plan of action is and how many different senarios they run in the simulators for this. Could be interesting having only 2 down with a touchdown speed of about 200 kts. It could happen...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOxZsbyjSb8

Rack it up in the ##### happens column...either way you're landing. Enjoy the time of your life totaling out a space shuttle and surviving it.:D

Eileen Collins is a DL wife :D

"So what's your wife do"
"Oh, she flies too"
"She on a trip?"
"Yeah, it's a 2 week trip"
"Oh man, that's a long trip, where's she go?"
"The space station"

:laff:

Wonder who wears the pants in that relationship...

Back