What do you make as a 121 pilot

How much income per year do you make as a pilot? Only pilot income (not investments or other)

• Total voters

av8tr1

"Never tell me the odds!"
We all hear the stories of the guys making 350K a year flying one trip a month. How true are the salaries claimed? I'm trying to decide between a couple of career paths and want to get some real insight here from you guys on what people really see. I suspect about 10% of the industry makes that 200+ a year. Everyone else is down around 100K or less. I've spoken with a bunch of guys at regionals I know and a few at some of the larger companies (no majors) and they all seemed to be making less than the millions people think. Not chump change but other than a few guys who retired from FedEx I have yet to find anyone making over 200K a year.

I suspect a lot of us are not pulling in the 6 figures everyone thinks pilots do. For example If I have to sit at 40-50K for 4-5 years at a regional and another job offers me 100K out of the gate. In year 6 I would need to make over 150K to come close to the 100K job. That doesn't seem realistic. I know that I can take a job at 100K which in 20 years gets me to 2 million in total compensation. How long would the airlines take to get me 2 million in total compensation?

Please be honest and select which level your take home is. No need to be specific but I want to get a feel for what people really make as opposed to some of the salaries posted on APC. I do not want to know what you make investing in real estate or bitcorn or essential chemicals or comic book trading. Just what the airline pays you. If you are willing feel free to post something more specific than answering the poll. I'd love to hear how long it took you to make your current salary and what it took to get there.

My gross as a second year FO at a regional was 76 but that was a lot of flying. Take home was ~51 (single and living in NY:fury:). Been a CA only a few weeks and if I do the bare minimum I’ll make around 85. Our reserve captains get abused so I’m anticipating on easily clearing 100.

Last edited:
My gross as a second year FO at a regional was 76 but that was a lot of flying. Take home was ~51 (single and living in NY:fury:). Been a CA only a few weeks and if I do the bare minimum I’ll make around 85. Our reserve captains get abused so I’m anticipating on easily clearing 100.

Define "a lot of flying"

Pay scales and min guarantee:

https://www.airlinepilotcentral.com/airlines

They even have a “pay calculator.”

Pretty simple math, no poll required.

Turns out some of those are not realistic. I've spoken with some of the pilots at companies on there and they say they are not even close to being accurate.

80 x hourly rate x12 will be a conservative number. Some people don’t fly. Some people fly a lot. Some people work the system.

Except for the signing bonus, which I won't see again, I was at 353K. I work a little extra if I'm in the mood and it's an easy trip. If you do international you can work one trip a month but you'll be gone 12 days, at least. I work two trips a month, usually 5 on, 9 off, and get paid min guarantee. It's night freight. Pays well but body clock flip flops are the worst. I rather do that then deal with the self loading cargo any day, though...

Following
Not going to pollute the results with the first year regional FO pay, not even sure what it's going to end up being. Just under 40k + 22k sign on or some such?

Turns out some of those are not realistic. I've spoken with some of the pilots at companies on there and they say they are not even close to being accurate.
According to the folks here, the United numbers are close, but low. Why not poll the accuracy of the pay scales instead of asking people what they take home? That would give you a lot more useful information.

According to the folks here, the United numbers are close, but low. Why not poll the accuracy of the pay scales instead of asking people what they take home? That would give you a lot more useful information.

Because I heard the APC numbers were wildly inaccurate.

Back