What do people recommend for glasses

First, get a good RX. Next, buy frames and clear lenses from 39dollarglasses.com.

Then, buy some Ray Ban frames on Amazon and send them to 39dollarglasses.com for RX sunglasses.

They are easy to deal with and satisfaction is guaranteed. I’ve bought a dozen glasses from them.

So you're saying if I picked up a set of Raybans or Serengetis used somewhere, these guys could do a set of progressive lenses for me in the frames I supply?

Because that'd be awesome.

So you're saying if I picked up a set of Raybans or Serengetis used somewhere, these guys could do a set of progressive lenses for me in the frames I supply?

Yes. Just did that with a pair of Ray Bans.

Ray-Ban Rx5184 New-Wayfarer Prescription Eyeglass Frames https://a.co/d/9m0uqpk

Last edited:

I forgot to mention that the darkest tints can only be obtained with single vision lenses. The progressive lenses are dark, but not totally opaque to others.

This is pretty much universal, not just with the vendor I recommended. Progressives require a lens stock that won’t tint as dark.

When I place an order for progressive, I make a note, as dark as possible

So, my rotation is clear progressive, progressive sunglasses, and single vision sunglasses for skiing and motorcycling.

Of course, a jet may have better windows.
I have not been in a GA cockpit yet that had enough UV blocking to prevent photosensitive lenses from changing. My glasses all have transition lenses. When I wear contacts, I wear a pair of nonprescription photosensitive glasses. I bought them because most sunglasses have been too dark and I kept putting them on and taking them off. My photosensitive ones have been perfect.
Learjet (verified in person) and (I have been told) other pressurized aircraft with glass windscreens do not allow enough UV through to change normal photosensitive lenses. For that matter mine don’t change much in a car. I have heard you can get a different version of the photosensitive coating optimized for driving that works better with glass windshields.

For anyone with trips to Asia, costs are much lower out there.

I was bragging to a friend about my $60 frames and lenses that took 20 min in Shanghai and he told me he had a similar experience at an eye doctor in Korea, except his frames weren’t even counterfeit.

Makes sense. The same size bottle of opti free express contact solution is about $5 cheaper in Korea. It even says that it’s still made in the US.

I forgot to mention that the darkest tints can only be obtained with single vision lenses. The progressive lenses are dark, but not totally opaque to others.

This is pretty much universal, not just with the vendor I recommended. Progressives require a lens stock that won’t tint as dark.

When I place an order for progressive, I make a note, as dark as possible

So, my rotation is clear progressive, progressive sunglasses, and single vision sunglasses for skiing and motorcycling.

I've got a pair of Serengetis with progressives that are too dark for the airplane I fly, but part of that is also the ancient CRTs in the -145 that just don't get bright enough, so the lack of darkest tint won't be a problem for me. :)

I've got a pair of Serengetis with progressives that are too dark for the airplane I fly, but part of that is also the ancient CRTs in the -145 that just don't get bright enough, so the lack of darkest tint won't be a problem for me. :)

I paid $128.95 for these Wayfarer knockoffs. Progressive + standard green tint. Not too dark, somebody 2-3 feet away can see your eyes.

Attachments

• 3B6924EF-A2A3-4A65-8D18-EAEB30F3330F.jpeg
    3B6924EF-A2A3-4A65-8D18-EAEB30F3330F.jpeg
    73.2 KB · Views: 7
Learjet (verified in person) and (I have been told) other pressurized aircraft with glass windscreens do not allow enough UV through to change normal photosensitive lenses. For that matter mine don’t change much in a car. I have heard you can get a different version of the photosensitive coating optimized for driving that works better with glass windshields.
That's what I meant by better. Light GA is plexiglass.

That's what I meant by better. Light GA is plexiglass.
You’ve got me wondering now-I wonder what it is that blocks the UV in a jet windscreen. If it’s the addition of the glass layer, or the embedded anti-ice layer, or the massively increased thickness of the plexiglass, or some combination thereof

You’ve got me wondering now-I wonder what it is that blocks the UV in a jet windscreen. If it’s the addition of the glass layer, or the embedded anti-ice layer, or the massively increased thickness of the plexiglass, or some combination thereof

I need to figure out where to look it up somewhere, but I've been told more than once that the -145 does *not* have whatever UV-blocking windscreens.

I need to figure out where to look it up somewhere, but I've been told more than once that the -145 does *not* have whatever UV-blocking windscreens.
Apparently aircraft are kinda all over the map

Apparently aircraft are kinda all over the map

I found that same look. They had the EMB-505 but not the 145. I did find a brochure for PPG windscreens (we have a mix of PPG and something else on our airplanes) but they don't spec the UV blocking in the brochure.

I found that same look. They had the EMB-505 but not the 145. I did find a brochure for PPG windscreens (we have a mix of PPG and something else on our airplanes) but they don't spec the UV blocking in the brochure.
the KA350 was one of the worst in that study, and it is all glass same as the E145 (per their respective data sheets from PPG). Just from flipping through that chart, it looks like a lot of the ones that block the most UVA are thick plexi. So it looks like thick layers of plexi are what does it?

You have all PPG glass now. That's why you turn on the windshield heat before takeoff.:)

I am looking for some advice from four-eyed brethren. Historically, I have worn contacts in the cockpit but will be wearing glasses more going forward. There are a lot of options in lenses these days. At the moment I am thinking Trivex lens material for allegedly better clarity, with Transition lenses for sunglasses. All single vision with a higher prescription for nearsightedness. Initial application is the general aviation training environment, with turbine aircraft somewhere in the eventual future (I hope). What do you recommend?
Ones that allow you to SEE. Not just to see, but to SEE, but to SEE REAL GOOD!

Imagine if there was a pair of glasses that allowed people to SEE the TRUTH. What a temporarily chaotic, but eventually WONDERFUL world it would be.

You have all PPG glass now. That's why you turn on the windshield heat before takeoff.:)

Did C5 ever have non-PPG 145s? I know they anticipated adding some, which is why the procedure used to be to leave the windshield heat off until top of descent unless in icing, but I don't know if they ever did.

I only flew the LR a few times so I may be remembering wrong, but I'm pretty sure even the ones I flew had PPG.

The 145 PPG discussion made me laugh. I can remember getting my hand physically pushed away from the windshield heat switches after start, when I was an FO in 2006 at XJT, by a Captain that had been out on medical leave for almost a year and hadn't read any updated bulletins.

He also backhanded my chest taking the runway in ZIH because the FA hadn't completed her briefing and I told the tower we were ready, but that's another story.

The 145 PPG discussion made me laugh. I can remember getting my hand physically pushed away from the windshield heat switches after start, when I was an FO in 2006 at XJT, by a Captain that had been out on medical leave for almost a year and hadn't read any updated bulletins.

He also backhanded my chest taking the runway in ZIH because the FA hadn't completed her briefing and I told the tower we were ready, but that's another story.
Ah the good old days….

I always rock Electric Charge sunglasses, they don't make them anymore so I take very particular care of the pair I still have.
BB0D18DF-E036-429B-979B-3E2407F76383.jpeg

Back