What do people recommend for glasses

Beaker

I am looking for some advice from four-eyed brethren. Historically, I have worn contacts in the cockpit but will be wearing glasses more going forward. There are a lot of options in lenses these days. At the moment I am thinking Trivex lens material for allegedly better clarity, with Transition lenses for sunglasses. All single vision with a higher prescription for nearsightedness. Initial application is the general aviation training environment, with turbine aircraft somewhere in the eventual future (I hope). What do you recommend?

Transitions lenses don’t work in pretty much anything pressurized fyi
I had best luck using clip-on for sunglasses. Takes up minimal pocket space, easy to switch back and forth.

I had the optics shop match them up with my frames so they didn't look too old man dorky...

I am looking for some advice from four-eyed brethren. Historically, I have worn contacts in the cockpit but will be wearing glasses more going forward. There are a lot of options in lenses these days. At the moment I am thinking Trivex lens material for allegedly better clarity, with Transition lenses for sunglasses. All single vision with a higher prescription for nearsightedness. Initial application is the general aviation training environment, with turbine aircraft somewhere in the eventual future (I hope). What do you recommend?

I'd recommend having two pairs of glasses - a "clear" set for night flying, and a pair of sunglasses for daytime use. Transition lenses don't seem to work that well in the cockpit, especially when flying through clouds where lighting conditions can change rapidly. Also, I'd be cautious about polarized lenses for sunglasses, as I've found that the cheaper ones don't play well with some electronic displays (i.e., the information may be dim or distorted). My sunglasses are tinted polycarbonate.

I'd recommend having two pairs of glasses - a "clear" set for night flying, and a pair of sunglasses for daytime use. Transition lenses don't seem to work that well in the cockpit, especially when flying through clouds where lighting conditions can change rapidly. Also, I'd be cautious about polarized lenses for sunglasses, as I've found that the cheaper ones don't play well with some electronic displays (i.e., the information may be dim or distorted). My sunglasses are tinted polycarbonate.
The problem with transitions lenses is that the windows block most of the UV light that they need to actually darken so they just don’t darken. Polarized are definitely a gamble depending on exactly what flight display you have

I wear contacts most of the time, but I’m probably going to get LASIK soon, just do I don’t have to do the glasses/readers/sunglasses shuffle.

First, get a good RX. Next, buy frames and clear lenses from 39dollarglasses.com.

Then, buy some Ray Ban frames on Amazon and send them to 39dollarglasses.com for RX sunglasses.

They are easy to deal with and satisfaction is guaranteed. I’ve bought a dozen glasses from them.

Transition lenses don't seem to work that well in the cockpit, especially when flying through clouds where lighting conditions can change rapidly.
Did the lenses actively cause you problems, or they just didn't function as sunglasses? Transition could still be handy on the ramp even if useless in many cockpits, provided they are not creating new problems.

My comment on transition lenses was actually second-hand: After hearing feedback from people who had used them for driving and/or flying, I decided to skip the transition lenses and just get a good pair of prescription sunglasses. Most of my sunglasses have been tinted polycarbonate (or a similar material), but I did actually have one (kinda expensive) pair of polarized sunglasses that worked OK in the cockpit. If I tilted my head just right, I could make the text on my copilot's FMS disappear :)

I keep a nice set of glasses for my bourbons, and another set for my vodkas.

I have a larger set when I’m lifting beers. Those come in handy.

Transition lenses just suck. They never get dark enough to really matter and they are too sensitive to interior lighting. In a classroom setting, you look like you are nursing a hangover with your 70’s tinted glasses.

Great stuff here. I’ve found that the cost of everything lenses gets stupid high when one needs progressives.

Getting old sucks.

The problem with transitions lenses is that the windows block most of the UV light that they need to actually darken so they just don’t darken. Polarized are definitely a gamble depending on exactly what flight display you have
I have not been in a GA cockpit yet that had enough UV blocking to prevent photosensitive lenses from changing. My glasses all have transition lenses. When I wear contacts, I wear a pair of nonprescription photosensitive glasses. I bought them because most sunglasses have been too dark and I kept putting them on and taking them off. My photosensitive ones have been perfect.

Great stuff here. I’ve found that the cost of everything lenses gets stupid high when one needs progressives.

Getting old sucks.
yes it does.

Have you tried Zenni? Been using them for several years. My glasses are progressive and photosensitive. My most recent pair was my most expensive at $130 (Photo)
The one before was just under $100.
IMG_2635.jpeg

I have not been in a GA cockpit yet that had enough UV blocking to prevent photosensitive lenses from changing. My glasses all have transition lenses. When I wear contacts, I wear a pair of nonprescription photosensitive glasses. I bought them because most sunglasses have been too dark and I kept putting them on and taking them off. My photosensitive ones have been perfect.
Of course, a jet may have better windows.

Getting old sucks.
Here’s pricing for lenses without frames. Scroll down and click link to Price List.

Back