"We've got 8000 resumes on file!"

I've found that if flying is your whole entire life, part 121 will kick you in the nuts. But if you get your happiness in life elsewhere, its hard to beat a 121 schedule once you build up some semblance of seniority.

I met a crusty grump IAH XJT captain once who said he got into 121 to party and pick up chicks. Said the job was just something that gets in the way of his overnight party lifestyle.

Oh dont you boys worry...our once director of corp comm has since moved off, like so many young and happy FAs that we once had and enjoyed (now we left with the dinos, still), to...

DELTA!!! YAY! FOR THE M!!!1

I've found that if flying is your whole entire life, part 121 will kick you in the nuts. But if you get your happiness in life elsewhere, its hard to beat a 121 schedule once you build up some semblance of seniority.

I bid for pay, whatever days off I need, and overnights. I really don't care if I turn a wheel, as long as I'm getting my ~75 hours/month, and hopefully hanging around in cool places. Keeps me sane on the road while I'm away from the things that I'm interested in outside of work. It's a good balance.

Last edited:
I bid for pay, whatever days off I need, and overnights. I really don't care if I turn a wheel, as long as I'm getting my ~75 hours/month, and hopefully hanging around in cool places. Keeps me sane on the road while I'm away from the things that I'm interested in outside of work. It's a good balance.

This. Though I don't bother bidding overnights. I've been going to like the same 12 places since IAD opened 3 years ago. Its all the same to me at this point.

I met a crusty grump IAH XJT captain once who said he got into 121 to party and pick up chicks. Said the job was just something that gets in the way of his overnight party lifestyle.
These 0015 release times are interfering with my socializing!

AFIS LINK ACK

I had made it to almost the top as a wrench, and didn't see it getting any better, so I bounced. But as I've gotten older, I've just come to accept aviation for the way it is. Plus, my free time is more devoted to my kids than trying to change the world.

@mshunter You ARE changing the world.

This. Though I don't bother bidding overnights. I've been going to like the same 12 places since IAD opened 3 years ago. Its all the same to me at this point.
I should clarify that bidding overnights = using every ounce of my crappy bidding power to bid away from CVG domestic hub turns.

Nah man, downtown is a very pleasant spot. Might I recommend JL Beers.

Lived in FSD for a little while, it's a nice town to visit, can't say I'd recommend making a home there. Maybe it's me, but I didn't dig that particular city in the otherwise delightful upper-Midwest. Bismarck, ND? Awesome, MSP, nice, most of Wisconsin? Great. Sioux Falls and Sioux City, IA? I'd rather fly over than land.

Back