well...i did it...

killbilly

Vocals, Lyrics, Triangle, Washboard, Kittens
IMG_1874 2.jpeg

RV-6A. 2002 model so one of the last of them before they switched to the RV-7/7A.

VFR only bird right now but we're gonna work on that. It's a darned hoot to fly for sure. Gotta love 167knots on 8.5-9.0gph.

What did you pay for it? If you don't mind saying. How about some panel pics when you get a chance. I've been leaning towards something like an LSA Sport Cruiser which doesn't have near that performance. Hoping to get find something the feds will allow part 61 instruction in, too.

What did you pay for it? If you don't mind saying. How about some panel pics when you get a chance. I've been leaning towards something like an LSA Sport Cruiser which doesn't have near that performance. Hoping to get find something the feds will allow part 61 instruction in, too.

PM Sent. If you want to do part 61 instruction, you need a factory-certified E-LSA. Regular EAB can't be operated for hire.

Congrats! It's a beaut.

I used to fly out of the airport where Vans is based out of. Lots of pretty planes to look at.

Nice choice, even with a nosewheel.

In my experience, the maneuverability of it becomes a challenge when flying IFR. Unless you have a good autopilot, be prepared for a lot of scanning and rapid inputs to maintain attitude.

Don't forget to get a couple of parachutes and some aerobatic training. Maybe even fly a primary contest. It can be fun.

In my experience, the maneuverability of it becomes a challenge when flying IFR. Unless you have a good autopilot, be prepared for a lot of scanning and rapid inputs to maintain attitude.

Don't forget to get a couple of parachutes and some aerobatic training. Maybe even fly a primary contest. It can be fun.

I really did want a tailwheel, but I just couldn't find one that was the right combination of price, engine and prop. I ended up going with the nose dragger because 1) I liked this airplane specifically, 2) I liked the seller a lot - good man of integrity 3) the price was very right for what I got. This airplane never went on the open market. If it had, it likely would have priced out of my budget. Seller and I got along pretty well and we kept everything really open and honest. It was as painless as it's possible for a transaction to be.

Yeah, it's a twitchy little thing in turbulence, for sure. In smooth air it's also really easy to fly it at Vno...or further....it just wants to go. I do have a good autopilot (Trio) in it and it's really easy to use. Unfortunately all of the EFIS options I'm looking at will require replacing the A/P and servos with different ones, but I should be able to sell the A/P without too much fuss.

I've had a little aerobatic training but I'd like a lot more. Don't have 'chutes yet, but for basic hammerheads and spins right now, as long as I'm solo, not an issue. The problem I do have is putting an instructor there with me, I'm severely weight-limited on fuel I can carry and still being within certified aerobatic weight. I realize "certified" is a gray area in the EAB world, but that's something I will ease into.

^this, go join IAC and head to Warrenton in the afternoons on the weekend when the box is open

^this, go join IAC and head to Warrenton in the afternoons on the weekend when the box is open

Maybe. Been researching this.

My RV is a little heavy....1116 EW. Aerobatic weight limit is 1375, and I weigh about 190 these days, so I'm really limited on who/what I can put in the airplane. I've read that teaching yourself aerobatics is not always the smartest thing to do. I believe I could do "gentlemen's" aerobatics in it if I was keeping the loads well under the limits, (2-3G stuff) but I'm really, really hesitant to approach that as a newbie because learning processes are fraught with mistakes and I really don't want to screw up and bend my airplane. Bit close to the margins for me to charge into that realm without careful research and planning.

To paraphrase Boromir, "One does not simply walk into IAC and the box at Warrenton." :)

Maybe. Been researching this.

My RV is a little heavy....1116 EW. Aerobatic weight limit is 1375, and I weigh about 190 these days, so I'm really limited on who/what I can put in the airplane. I've read that teaching yourself aerobatics is not always the smartest thing to do. I believe I could do "gentlemen's" aerobatics in it if I was keeping the loads well under the limits, (2-3G stuff) but I'm really, really hesitant to approach that as a newbie because learning processes are fraught with mistakes and I really don't want to screw up and bend my airplane. Bit close to the margins for me to charge into that realm without careful research and planning.

To paraphrase Boromir, "One does not simply walk into IAC and the box at Warrenton." :)
Well, once you figure out how to do some instruction come on down. Lots of talented people there spotting/coaching each other

Giving instruction away for free isn't good for business, but in this case it may save a life. The RV family produces good speeds from low horsepower because they are slick. This is a disadvantage when pointed downhill; backside of a loop, hammerhead, split S, half Cuban, etc... I would seriously encourage dual in some one else's RV with a better W&B or something similar before teaching yourself in anything that is as slick as an RV. Energy management is key when flying aerobatics, especially in RVs.

There is even an advisory circular for this.

Giving instruction away for free isn't good for business, but in this case it may save a life. The RV family produces good speeds from low horsepower because they are slick. This is a disadvantage when pointed downhill; backside of a loop, hammerhead, split S, half Cuban, etc... I would seriously encourage dual in some one else's RV with a better W&B or something similar before teaching yourself in anything that is as slick as an RV. Energy management is key when flying aerobatics, especially in RVs.

There is even an advisory circular for this.

Yeah, this is sort of my intended plan. There's a guy at the field with an RV7 who has the same prop/engine combo. I'm also looking at some options for getting her a little bit lighter.

There are workarounds to instruction in experimentals. I am not sure of the specifics but there are several people that offer transition training for RVs and often insurance companies require it. This was something EAA lobbied for. I believe it involves a billing structure where you are paying solely for the instructor's time, with the airplane being comped. So instead of paying $60/hr for the instructor and $150/hr for the plane, you just pay $210 for the instructor.

Back