Well cr@p ... or, what it's like to bust the IA checkride

Re: Well cr@p ... or, what it\'s like to bust the IA checkride

I confirmed a while back with our in-house DE, as long as you recognize you goofed, and execute a safe and proper missed approach, you can continue the checkride and do the approach over. Tough luck, it's gotta suck to fail on an ILS.

Reminds me of that saying about checkrides-->

A checkride should be like a skirt: Short enough to be interesting, and long enough to cover everything.

Good luck with the re-take. Despite what you say, he sounds like an • examiner. Post his name in the checkride section to increase his business
wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I confirmed a while back with our in-house DE,

[/ QUOTE ]
"In-house DE"? Where are you flying now, Sean?

that blows man. I say if you screw up (once) but you recognize it and correct it that should show the examiner that you can think and aren't flying a practiced set gouge. By the way what kind of twin was it?

<---- We fly an Apache. (That's not it, but that one is based on our field)

Nah he was a super nice guy. He was within his "rights" to bust me. I did hose it afterall. I'll just go back and do my PP, holds, airwork and the ILS and be done with it.

Pilot, where do you fly out of?
Was Larry Tiffen your DE? I had my multi add-on, instrument, and commercial rides w/ him....he is a really fair guy, and has a lot of knowledge to share. The only thing I don't like about him is the mind games he plays when he leaves you in the exam room while he finishes breakfast.
What really sucks is the fact that the Fort was shut down for the day.
What a bummer.

Larry Tiffen sounds familiar...

Yea, he is a pretty popular guy around Arizona. He has been around forever, and has done about a million checkrides. He now runs the airport in Nogales and owns a flight school there as well.
Smart guy.

[ QUOTE ]
Larry Tiffen sounds familiar...

[/ QUOTE ]

Doug, remember Arizona Pathetic (Pacific) airlines that ran out of that FBO on the tower side of Prescott next to the FSS and flew Navajo Chieftains? That was his op. Went belly up after one of the Navajo's landed on fire at KPHX.

MD

Oh, THAT Larry Tiffin!

I rode one of those Navajos up from PHX to PRC once. Nothing like sitting backwards staring at some guy staring up in the cockpit to the glow of a turbocharger at night!

What was it, like a $10,000 PFT outfit or something like that?

[ QUOTE ]
Oh, THAT Larry Tiffin!

I rode one of those Navajos up from PHX to PRC once. Nothing like sitting backwards staring at some guy staring up in the cockpit to the glow of a turbocharger at night!

What was it, like a $10,000 PFT outfit or something like that?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah they had their own scam of some sort of "pay to be a co-pilot" program on the Navajo's.

About as much of a joke as the ERAU King Air C-90s......

Busted my first IA, too. On a hold, something I'd never had any trouble with before. Just had it thrown at me last second by ATC and got confused. It happens. You'll get it next time.

I'm confused. If your stationed at SDL what in the world were you doing at TUS, Ryan, and OLS? SDL has the FSDO right there and you could have done all your necessary approaches in the local area. When I did mine I departed CHD went to Gila Bend, then over to IWA, and came back into CHD. In all it only took 1.5 hours. Could you not find a DPE in the local area?

[ QUOTE ]
I'm confused. If your stationed at SDL what in the world were you doing at TUS, Ryan, and OLS? SDL has the FSDO right there and you could have done all your necessary approaches in the local area. When I did mine I departed CHD went to Gila Bend, then over to IWA, and came back into CHD. In all it only took 1.5 hours. Could you not find a DPE in the local area?

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't the FSDO still give checkrides, without the $200 or so it costs to pay a DE?

Yeah, but sometimes they are hard to schedule with. [ QUOTE ]
Doesn't the FSDO still give checkrides, without the $200 or so it costs to pay a DE?

[/ QUOTE ]

For what is worth he should have let you re shoot that ILS. I am sure that you will have no problems your second time arround.

[ QUOTE ]
For what is worth he should have let you re shoot that ILS. I am sure that you will have no problems your second time arround.

[/ QUOTE ]

The DE was probably short of cash and needs to give a few pink slips in order to get another round of "fees", $200 or whatever.

I think it's a one time fee, he doesn't get paid again for the retest. Atleast that's how the DPE that I've always used does it. He tells you that at the begining of the examination and also asks if you would like him to not tell you if you bust until the end so that it doesn't throw you off.

Does this guy or anyone else really charge you agian for completing the portion you busted on?

At least for the CFI ride, it's now $300. And a retest is an additional $75. I think fees are standard. Yes, the FSDO will still do it for free, but scheduling can be a problem and you don't know until that day which examiner you'll get. Some of those guys are animals.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because there are only about two guys in the entire state of AZ that can still give checkrides in a PA-23 150/60 (Apache). One is based in TUS the other one is in OLS. They don't like to come up here and with access to my own aircraft, and having to build time anyway, I didn't mind the flight down. And if I fly down there it makes no sense to fly back up to the PHX area to do approaches.

Besides, I'd flown most of the approaches down there at least once (at Ryan, TUS and OLS) so it wasn't like it was completely unfamiliar territory. The only approach that would have been brand, spankin' new to me would have been Ft. Huachuca.

And, yes, the DEs generally charge a "re-test" fee. But like the test itself it's completely up to them what, if anything, they charge. I paid $300 for the ride and I'll have dish out another $100 for the re-test.

And I could have gone through the FSDO but they generally have a wait list longer than any of the DEs (hence the need for the DEs in the first place).

Back