Well, bye.

Beefy McGee

829A1D8F-6553-4A9A-ACE9-652A1572C922.png

US based FAs furloughed. US based pilot bases closed already (two years ago I think)

"Over 500 flight attendants are based throughout the airline’s three cabin crew bases at JFK, FLL, and LAX with the Boeing 787 Dreamliner. The furloughed crews have recall rights until March 2022. "

It is expected that Norweigan will be forced to end all longhaul ops and likely go back to being a short/medium haul European 737 carrier.

Rest assured, with all the jets in the desert and crews on the street, by the time there is excessive demand for long haul leisure travel, there will be new Ultra Low Cost Carriers undercutting US carriers and basing staff in low-income nations. So really nothing to celebrate here except for crews out of a job. The threat will never go away, ULCCs are a part of life now when times are good, but many will fail whenever times get tough.

I will miss making everyone else feel uncomfortable when I point out that their 787s look like a used tampon.

Aren’t there 2 Norwegians, only one is the bad one I thought.

Naw there were a lot of iterations, including an Argentinian subsidiary

From wiki:

Norwegian's flights are operated by itself as well as fully owned subsidiaries, including Irish-based Norwegian Air International, UK-based Norwegian Air UK, Swedish-based Norwegian Air Sweden, and Norway-based Norwegian Long Haul. Each airline holds a unique air operator's certificate (AOC) but shares branding and commercial functions with the rest of the Group. Until December 2019, Norwegian also owned and operated Argentina-based Norwegian Air Argentina, which operated domestic flights within the country.

Posted that a while back! Glad it got legs
I think many like minded people came to that conclusion haha. It was always fun in the ramp tower when I'd be buried into the computers working as the gate manager begging adults to adult when my cool coworker would suddenly yodel out, "Used tampon, Ahoy!" right as the inbound transmission from "Red Nose" would crackle in. I've used the joke on my aviation instagram and got a bunch of angry\disgusted messages, so I did it a second time and got a few less that time. Progress.

I think many like minded people came to that conclusion haha. It was always fun in the ramp tower when I'd be buried into the computers working as the gate manager begging adults to adult when my cool coworker would suddenly yodel out, "Used tampon, Ahoy!" right as the inbound transmission from "Red Nose" would crackle in. I've used the joke on my aviation instagram and got a bunch of angry\disgusted messages, so I did it a second time and got a few less that time. Progress.

Lol at trying to get adults to adult. I think my nephews preschool friends could do a better job sometimes.

Not to fear, China to the rescue.

Chinese Government-Backed Lessor Takes Stake in Norwegian Air

BOC Aviation, a global aircraft leasing company and a subsidiary of the state-owned Bank of China, has become a major shareholder in the struggling low-cost airline Norwegian Air Shuttle.

Norwegian Air said in an announcement released on Wednesday that Ireland-based AerCap Holdings, the world’s largest independent aircraft leasing company, will become the biggest shareholder with 15.9% of the shares while BOC Aviation, wholly controlled by the Chinese state, will hold a 12.67% stake in the airline.

The involvement of the international leasing companies is part of the state-backed rescue package, which was approved at the beginning of May, to prevent the airline, facing a substantial debt burden, from going bankrupt. According to the rescue plan, Norway’s largest airline had to convert part of its debt into shares, which was a prerequisite for further state aid.

The move enabled Norwegian to meet the requirement to receive 2.7 billion Norwegian Krone (approximately $270 million USD) aid from the Norwegian government – in addition to 300 million Krone ($30 million USD) that have already gone to the airline.

Also, WOW Air, who failed around the end of 2018, has found new investors and will re-launch. Good luck to the US Majors competing with USA-Europe with a stop in Iceland for $200-500 roundtrip when the travel picks up(from the markets which will have these ULCC flights, anyway). They will also be starting Russian and Italian subsidiaries.

WOW air

Also, WOW Air, who failed around the end of 2018, has found new investors and will re-launch. Good luck to the US Majors competing with USA-Europe with a stop in Iceland for $200-500 roundtrip when the travel picks up(from the markets which will have these ULCC flights, anyway). They will also be starting Russian and Italian subsidiaries.

WOW air
Does nobody learn their lesson about low cost transatlantic airlines? It seems like every single one ends up failing, and there's always a smattering of random airlines I've never heard of from Europe flying to random cities that don't seem to stick around for very long. Same goes for the high end "all business class" type airlines that always try to make the East Coast to London work. Seems like they all come and fizzle out a short while later.

WOW air
Wow, didn't see that coming!

Does nobody learn their lesson about low cost transatlantic airlines? It seems like every single one ends up failing, and there's always a smattering of random airlines I've never heard of from Europe flying to random cities that don't seem to stick around for very long. Same goes for the high end "all business class" type airlines that always try to make the East Coast to London work. Seems like they all come and fizzle out a short while later.
Nah, they've always been around(since deregulation anyway), they'll always be around. Execs just get a golden parachute and start another one, so individual failures will never stop people looking to make a quick buck at the expense of legacy airlines. But I wonder how much money the legacy airlines lose trying to fight them. Iceland Air started SFO a few weeks after WOW Air, as if SFO needed 2 carriers on SFO-KEF, and then they announced ending the route a few months after WOW Air failed. It is one thing if that airline jumps on your bread and butter routes, but it is always funny to me when airlines try and "chase" these guys. Like United starting SFO-PPT as soon as French Bee did, obviously not realizing that most of French Bee's traffic originates in ORY and the CDG-SFO flight wasn't even timed to connect. Just pissing matches.

Back