Weird RNP approach procedure

I'll lend you guys this.
iu.jpeg

I’ve had quite a few pilots complain about it. Usually starts with ahhhh well we’re all set up for 26
Runway changes are a non-trivial amount of work. At a minimum, (and I'm not talking about a sidestep on a VMC day) there's an FMS to reprogram, a plate to rebrief and landing data to re-send for.

Runway changes are a non-trivial amount of work. At a minimum, (and I'm not talking about a sidestep on a VMC day) there's an FMS to reprogram, a plate to rebrief and landing data to re-send for.

I was absolutely SHOCKED the other day in SLC when, after giving us instructions to taxi to runway 34L, ground actually asked us if that was the runway we had setup for and if not if we wanted another runway. While we had setup for 34R, we previously briefed the possibility of a change and already had numbers for 34L. Granted we still had to run an overly complex runway change checklist which was written by someone formerly of the Overly Redundant Department of Redundancy Department Company Incorporated, we still were ready by the time we got to the end and managed to save time as opposed to taxiing all the way around the airport. Somehow in two days of flying in SLC I managed to only get three runway changes (and not all on the same flight!) which is in and of itself a small miracle.

I was absolutely SHOCKED the other day in SLC when, after giving us instructions to taxi to runway 34L, ground actually asked us if that was the runway we had setup for and if not if we wanted another runway. While we had setup for 34R, we previously briefed the possibility of a change and already had numbers for 34L. Granted we still had to run an overly complex runway change checklist which was written by someone formerly of the Overly Redundant Department of Redundancy Department Company Incorporated, we still were ready by the time we got to the end and managed to save time as opposed to taxiing all the way around the airport. Somehow in two days of flying in SLC I managed to only get three runway changes (and not all on the same flight!) which is in and of itself a small miracle.
That checklist is a “cold beer” story. The checklist exists for a good reason, actually more than one reason (and all of them are good). But the process by which it came to its current form (which doesn’t meet AC120-71B!) displays why ESPECIALLY the CRJ people cannot be trusted to do anything right.

Let’s just say that what dumb and dumber eventually published (with the FAA’s approval...thanks) looks nothing like what “someone” walked into a working group meeting with, and that “someone” also jumped up and down and yelled at how clumsy the first drafts were, among other issues.

You send landing data for every runway?
Depends. I forget specifically what is required of us, but I habitually make an assessment every leg.

That checklist is a “cold beer” story. The checklist exists for a good reason, actually more than one reason (and all of them are good). But the process by which it came to its current form (which doesn’t meet AC120-71B!) displays why ESPECIALLY the CRJ people cannot be trusted to do anything right.

Let’s just say that what dumb and dumber eventually published (with the FAA’s approval...thanks) looks nothing like what “someone” walked into a working group meeting with, and that “someone” also jumped up and down and yelled at how clumsy the first drafts were, among other issues.

Depends. I forget specifically what is required of us, but I habitually make an assessment every leg.

Oh the reason for it is sound, the implementation is, shall we say, not.

Oh, and it’s your fault @Autothrust Blue that I habitually point at the FMS, flap lever, and the flap read out on ED-1 every time we verify the flaps. Then again, on single FMS planes I keep the T/O Data displayed until doing the Before Takeoff Check for the very reason of making sure the correct flaps and numbers are set.

Oh, and it’s your fault @Autothrust Blue that I habitually point at the FMS, flap lever, and the flap read out on ED-1 every time we verify the flaps. Then again, on single FMS planes I keep the T/O Data displayed until doing the Before Takeoff Check for the very reason of making sure the correct flaps and numbers are set.
That, and TO CONFIG are the most important items on that checklist. Everything else is literal flamage from BBD, or “this is here because someone goofed it up and the remainder must suffer because we were embarrassed in front of the FAA/major partner.”

So if you do nothing else, make a display of checking those two items.

That, and TO CONFIG are the most important items on that checklist. Everything else is literal flamage from BBD, or “this is here because someone goofed it up and the remainder must suffer because we were embarrassed in front of the FAA/major partner.”

So if you do nothing else, make a display of checking those two items.

My three goals for every flight:
1) Not end up on the nightly news.
2) Do nothing that gets me called into my chief’s office.
3) Take no action that would require me fill out any paperwork (can’t help it if someone else does something that makes me fill it out, however).

Obsessing over making sure the data is valid and the plane is configured to match so far has kept me out of trouble. Then again, recognizing my own average-ness and being too lazy to reinvent the wheel and simply flying it the way they tell me to has helped too. Plus it helps in those situations when I can’t avoid 3) above.

Edited for typos.

My three goals for every flight:
1) Not end up on the nightly news.
2) Do nothing that gets me called into my chief’s office.
3) Take no action that would require me fill out any paperwork (can’t help it if someone else does something that makes me fill it out, however).

Obsessing over making sure the data is valid and the plane is configured to match so far has kept me out of trouble. Then again, recognizing my own average-ness and being too lazy to reinvent the wheel and simply flying it the way they tell me to has helped too. Plus it helps in those situations when I can’t avoid 3) above.

Edited for typos.
Habits are wonderful things. Except when they’re bad, like just whacking the lever.

Back