Weird Class D?

Sisson2011

So the airport I grew up at is now getting a new control tower (CXO). When I looked at their D airspace on the sectional it was very unique looking. It was extremely small, and the north edge of it ended right at the runway's end. Why did they do it like this?

(the TAC view is easier to see)
http://skyvector.com/#46-33-3-1828-1661

Dude, that tiny circle doesn't depict class-D airspace. What it does mean is that you can click on the airport to bring up more information.

Dude, that tiny circle doesn't depict class-D airspace. What it does mean is that you can click on the airport to bring up more information.

look at the TAC chart. the class D is shaped like a wedge, or like 1/4 of a circle.

that is rather odd.

look at the TAC chart. the class D is shaped like a wedge, or like 1/4 of a circle.

that is rather odd.

Sisson2011, my apologies. The shape of that airspace is so strange I didn't even notice it was there as it doesn't even encompass the entire field.

Some of the IAH missed approach holding fixes are at GOMER and CLEEP, about 6 and 14 miles to the east and west of CXO.

If anything, though, that should make the Class D wedge point the other way. :confused:

So the airport I grew up at is now getting a new control tower (CXO).

Are you sure there's going to be a tower there? The airport is presently magenta, not blue, so there is no tower yet. Looks to me like the airspace might be there to protect the populated area from overflights at night.

Are you sure there's going to be a tower there? The airport is presently magenta, not blue, so there is no tower yet. Looks to me like the airspace might be there to protect the populated area from overflights at night.
Pretty weird. Also says Class D Effective by NOTAM to the right.
like i said it brand new, so that's why it says effective by NOTAM (i'm guessing). good call on the magenta.. wonder if that's because it's not open just yet?

Here's the NOTAM:
<tt>AIRSPACE CDSA DLAD. WIE UNTIL 02 MAY 23:59 2009. CREATED: 16 MAR 20:07 2009
"Airspace class D surface area delayed. Effective immediately until May 2nd. Created March 16th"</tt>
<tt>

Also to note, the new sectionals came out on the 12th. They don't expire until Septemberish. So if the tower does open on the 2nd like the NOTAM says, then the airspace will still be as pictured (again guessing).
</tt>

<tt> So if the tower does open on the 2nd like the NOTAM says, then the airspace will still be as pictured (again guessing).</tt><tt>
</tt>

The NOTAM says nothing about a tower. There are some class D airspaces that do not have a tower within the class D. In this case, it's possible the nearby class B would provide class D services . The delay for the surface area could just be due to lack of communication facilities on the ground.

Our local airspaces that went towered got the tower first, then the class D airspace.

That is indeed a weird looking airspace.

Not to hijack the thread or anything, but who names a town "Cut and Shoot"?

Not to hijack the thread or anything, but who names a town "Cut and Shoot"?

we've all been wondering that for years

The NOTAM says nothing about a tower. There are some class D airspaces that do not have a tower within the class D. In this case, it's possible the nearby class B would provide class D services . The delay for the surface area could just be due to lack of communication facilities on the ground.

There's one there. I think they were hoping to have it opened by the issuance of the new charts on the 12th but it didn't happened. Still though, the shape isn't making since.

I flew a CRJ-200 into CXO once to get it repainted in the new Delta Connection colors. Pretty small airport. There were a few foreign students in the pattern. Is the airport really that busy that they need a control tower?

yea it's decently busy, i think there's like 3 flight schools there. Add the business jet traffic, and the regional jet repaint traffic, students that can't speak english, and 2 runways under class B and it gets a little messy. When i was training there was very few times that I was the only one in the pattern.

In fact, they don't allow touch and goes there because it's "too busy". So I would have to fly 10 minutes away to do touch and goes. I thought that was kinda crappy on the airports part.

Back