Weird Class D?

Plus the airport is home to some sweet Apache helos from the Army Res. And the flight school I use to fly with is based there, trying to get my money out now before it hits the fan. And all the students are from India in cause you were wondering what the accent is. In the flight school office there is a sign up that says "Speak English at All Times", not kidding.

Flew into TOA yesterday and noticed their Class D airspace had a weird shape as well.

toa.jpg

Jtsastre

Looks like it was setup to accomodate arrivals from the southwest. Maybe there is alot of traffic arriving from that direction. From looking at the piece of sectional near LAX I wonder if there is some enroute airways that end nearby and then a possible feeder route for an IAP. Maybe that is the case at CXO or possibly to accomodate departues??

Then again maybe the town nearby has asked for the airspace?? It seems to encompass 90% of the town of Conroe. Anyone have a copy of TERPS available? And understand it??

Are you sure there's going to be a tower there? The airport is presently magenta, not blue, so there is no tower yet. Looks to me like the airspace might be there to protect the populated area from overflights at night.

When I was flying out of AEG last month it was still depicted as magenta even though there was/is now an operating control tower. The new charts had not come out until after the tower had opened.

Do the 6000 feet mountains all around have anything to do with its shape? Or does landing traffic only come from the west?
No they will land from the east but those are visual approaches only. Mostly that shape has to do with lots of VFR traffic in and out of Merrill and Lake Hood that may or may not have transponders.

Back