Want to be a Super-Dispatcher?

What does the super dispatcher do when the autopilot captures a false localizer or the autopilot clicks off because who knows why? (with pic incapacitated)

Triple redundant hydraulics, at least dual redundant power plants, triple redundant electrics, single point of failure in the cockpit.

Nope. Never gonna happen. Not as long as there exists a pilot union and a flying population that's not suicidal.

Triple redundant hydraulics, at least dual redundant power plants, triple redundant electrics, single point of failure in the cockpit.

Nope. Never gonna happen. Not as long as there exists a pilot union and a flying population that's not suicidal.

While I usually say, "never say never". I think in this case you are correct, there will be two pilots in the cockpit specifically because you cannot have a single point of failure. It's too easy to remove the "super dispatcher" acting as FO from the equation by way of a system failure. Electrical issues, communication issues, computer issues, etc. I think a dispatcher being given tools to help the pilots is a good thing, however, replacing the FO is a bad idea from a safety standpoint.

Would this be an added responsibility on top of current dispatch workload or would certain things be automated or moved away from the dispatcher? The workload for dispatchers is very high especially on days when things arent running according to plan. Can you imagine having to be the first officer while at the same time you have maintenance calling about an MEL, the stations calling wanting to know the status of a flight in addition to flight plans that need to be completed? They can say its as easy as shifting flights to other desks but it wont be very easy if a handful of dispatchers get stuck with hundreds of flights because of multiple captains requesting FO support.

Yeah, if I were to take over effectively as the FO, I would only do one flight at a time. For a place like WN that might have 450+ airborne at any one time, that's an awful lot of dispatchers!

Some colleagues and I used to joke about this. When the going go tough, we'd press a button on the console, and a yoke, pedals, and throttles would pop out of the console. "I've got it Captain". Never dreamed that it would actually become a reality.

Hi,
I would like to change careers and work in aviation. I am 40 years old, hold a PhD in Foreign Languages and have worked as a college professor for the last 8 years. I grew tired of my profession and hardly feel motivated anymore. I am fond of aviation careers and wanted to try my luck in airline dispatching. I found an online program (Airline Ground School) that's FAA approved (they claim). Should I make the move? I live in the Baltimore, MD area so plenty of aviation activity around.
Thank you.

I can see this at FedEx or UPS long before an airline. As soon as they do it safely for a year or two I am sure the airlines will try it.

I can see this at FedEx or UPS long before an airline. As soon as they do it safely for a year or two I am sure the airlines will try it.
Get rid of the F/O or relief pilots? Who will heat up the Captain's food? It is a terrible idea...unless FedEx and UPS can get some smoking hot galley wenches.

Back