Wanna watch some roller derby? ^_^

🦈💜

All dragon~
I'm skating in my first ever derby bout, filling in for the underdog Undead against the ... uh, Überdog? Santa Cruz tomorrow in Santa Cruz. The first whistle is at 4:45 pacific and it's streaming live on Twitch! Come for the thrills, the spills, and to very possibly watch me make an ass of myself in front of a bunch of people!

(NB. Undead is not my 'normal' team. I'm filling in. I'm on the area-wide travel team with a bunch of skaters from the Santa Cruz team. And competition was suspended during Covid, so this is the first time most of us have been on the track for a while. Especially on the team I'm playing for. Set expectations accordingly :)

IMG_3181.JPG
IMG_3189.JPG
IMG_3171.JPG
IMG_3197.JPG
IMG_3198.JPG
IMG_3199.JPG
IMG_3196.JPG

Player on the far right has spindly little legs that make me fear for their future in this sport :eek:
That’s Santa Cruz’s Flower Power, and she is actually strong as hell! She’s an amazing jammer, and a really wonderful person. She’s fast and incredibly nimble… really hard to hit, and she still can plant people on their ass. She’s also on the travel team I got picked up to play on, and she’s a fantastic teammate!

That’s Santa Cruz’s Flower Power, and she is actually strong as hell! She’s an amazing jammer, and a really wonderful person. She’s fast and incredibly nimble… really hard to hit, and she still can plant people on their ass. She’s also on the travel team I got picked up to play on, and she’s a fantastic teammate!

Haha I didn't mean she isn't good, I just mean I fear for her legs getting cracked. I have a coworker who is a similar build and apparent height, and she is a machine. BTW, what is a jammer? Is that a position?

Haha I didn't mean she isn't good, I just mean I fear for her legs getting cracked. I have a coworker who is a similar build and apparent height, and she is a machine. BTW, what is a jammer? Is that a position?
Let me answer the last question first! (I'm also a jammer)

^_^ Anyway, though, I guess I'm trying to say not to underestimate her—she's way tougher than she looks!

Lots of jammers have slender builds, and are incredibly agile. I'm on the beefier side for a jammer, but I have a lot of power in my legs since I've been a hockey player for so much of my life, and I'm a really good skater. Roller derby is one of the few sports I know of where pretty much all body types have a niche.

If anyone has any questions about derby, PLEASE ask me. I can help you find your local league, bouts, etc. I can tell you where to watch streams (Home - WFTDA.tv), I can explain the rules, name it. ^_^

-Sharkie

Back