VX Take Over Bids

over2departure

Sounds like my first marriage.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...d-to-attract-jetblue-alaska-air-takeover-bids

"Virgin America Inc. received takeover offers from JetBlue Airways Corp. and Alaska Air Group Inc. after the carrier backed by billionaire Richard Branson put itself up for sale, according to people familiar with the matter.

Discussions between Virgin America and the two bidders are ongoing, and a deal could be announced as early as next week, the people said, asking not to be identified discussing private information. It is unclear if other suitors will emerge, and Virgin America may yet decide to abandon sale negotiations in favor of remaining independent."

And so it begins?

Still seems a little unreal. Mergers usually not done in the good times of high profits, low oil, and high demand.

If it has to be Alaska or JetBlue, then I would think/hope JetBlue.

What keeps AA/UAL/DAL/SWA from throwing in a bid? Anti-trust or monopoly issues? Aircraft types for SWA?

Yes.

Even though Virgin's 70 aircraft are a drop in the bucket for the Monster 3, it would probably undergo very high scrutiny. Especially UAL who would operates out of SFO heavily with VA. AA is already the largest. Of the 3 maybe DL could fanagle some transaction being the smallest.

SWA doesn't make much sense. They clearly have a philosophy based around the 737 and I think their plate is full digesting AirTran.

Alaska doesn't make a lot of sense either.
My guess is, JetBlue has more to gain out of this. LAX is a big battleground right now and this would increase their space in LAX, as well as tapping into a similar customer base. I think If Alaska steps in this to wipe out a west coast competitor it's only going to only make their brand weaker as they go thru a painful merger process.

For AA's sake I hope Alaska gets it. jetBlue is a strong competitor and will only grow bigger and stronger. Alaska, at least at this point, is closely aligned on AA's side.

In the end, I'm just a soldier. I know nothing of these grand strategies.

I do know I'll sure as heck miss VX as an airline. As a passenger, I preferred them over just about anybody else.

-Fox

Other way around...

Both JetBlue and Virgin voted in a union to protect them in the event of a merger.

Yea, what I mean is, Branson isn't the most pro union guy, and although he isn't pulling all the puppet strings but I wonder if VX is choosing to get out while the gettin' is good and they are in a position to sell. They could barely pull a profit before they voted a union in, and I bet when all of the dust settles, and more pay and protection is put in place they will be worse off.

Back