VMA-211 attacked in Afghanistan

Authorities believe that 15 insurgents dressed in U.S. Army uniforms penetrated the base's perimeter fence and assaulted the flight line with small arms fire, rocket-propelled grenades and suicide vests.

We train them only so that they use it to kill us.

Yup. But why did they have to announce his deployment? Yes, let us paint a bullseye on Prince Harry and doing so get more people killed in the process because he is now a high value target for the Taliban.

I was being sarcastic it is BS.

He's been deployed before. Multiple times, I think. I know he's been sent to Afghanistan on a previous deployment.

Eh, he could easily be living it up in Monaco or Vegas full-time, but he chooses instead to wear the uniform and fight on the front lines. I'd say that's pretty impressive.

I wear the uniform also... there's those that do it to serve n those that do it for the metal and bragging rights...

I wear the uniform also... there's those that do it to serve n those that do it for the metal and bragging rights...

True, but what makes you think he's the latter? If I recall, he's specifically asked to have location held private, and has volunteered for front line duty. I don't ever recall him talking to the media at all about his service.

I'm sure he could get the uniform and the medal, and still sit in a cushy office somewhere if he wanted.

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/2928/1114/1600/HiPt1.jpg

he Marine Attack Squadron (VMA) 211 “Avengers” that was decimated on Friday Sept. 14, when a force of insurgents attacked Camp Bastion, in Helmand, has not only lost two Marines and eight of the ten AV-8B+ Harrier jets deployed in Afghanistan.
According to UTSanDiego.com, Marine and family sources have confirmed that Lt. Col. Chris “Otis” Raible, commanding officer of the Yuma squadron is among the killed in action of the unprecedented attack that resulted in the destruction of six jump jets and significant damage (possibly beyond repair) to two more Harriers belonging to the VMA-211, the unit he commanded.
The VMA-211 is part of the 3rd Marine Aircraft Wing headquartered in San Diego at Marine Corps Air Station Miramar.
Raible led the “Avengers” when the unit, deployed to Afghanistan in April 2012, relocated from Kandahar Airfield to Camp Bastion on Jul. 1 and he’s depicted in most of the images released by the U.S. Marine Corps to give account of the transfer.

Image credit: U.S. Marine Corps
Camp Bastion was in close proximity to all the units they supported and this gave the VMA-211 the opportunity to conduct more combat operations and communicate more effectively with the ground combat element.
Unfortunately neither Raible nor the rest of the “Avengers” could predict the attack that cost the U.S. the worst air loss to enemy fire in one day since the Vietnam War, that has rendered the Squadron unable to support the troops in the ground and compelled the Marine Corps to fly the remaining two airframes back home.

Image credit: U.S. Marine Corps

That many US aircraft lost at one time due to enemy action has got to be the highest number in years, maybe since Vietnam? The CO was by all accounts a well liked leader by all who knew him as several of our pilots down here knew and served with him.

I hadn't thought about this before I visited their official website looking for his bio.......now it simply lists the CO, as the XO fleeted up in this moment of tragedy. Sounds like all those stories from Vietnam, when the Skipper or CAG didn't come back from a flight. Couple that with how the USMC slates O-4's for XO. I bet he feels a little bit like Lyndon Johnson right now.....taking the reigns of a grieving squadron as a 4 yr Maj in a combat zone would take some intestinal fortitude. My hat is off to him, and RIP for the two Avengers that were lost.

In Vietnam, a Marine took over as a CAG on a carrier, following the Navy CAG.......Stockdale, I believe.....being shot down and becoming a POW.

Back