VMA-211 attacked in Afghanistan

In Vietnam, a Marine took over as a CAG on a carrier, following the Navy CAG.......Stockdale, I believe.....being shot down and becoming a POW.

Interestingly enough, I was just talking to a former skipper of mine at Hook, and he mentioned that the Navy did a trial program a while back (as in within the last 15 years) where they selected a Marine DCAG, who would, by convention, fleet up to CAG. Unfortunately, as goes the story, he walked somewhere during his DCAG tour, and the program was scrubbed shortly thereafter.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324439804578104850491484908.html?KEYWORDS=Raible

A good piece on the Wall Street Journal's editorial page yesterday (weekend edition) about LTCOL Raible and VMA-211. Title: "A Harrier Jet Pilot True to the Creed, 'Every Marine a Rifleman.'"
Sad but rad in the same respect. Reminds me of stories I've read about Marine Air in the pacific theater during WWII. I sincerely doubt that if there were daily news reports in the mainstream media of what our military goes through the general public would not stand for continuance of the wars we wage.

Semper Fi and happy belated bday to my brethren of the Corps. Happy Veterans Day to all who've served. Thank you.

Back