Virgin Atlantic sacks 13 staff after Facebook criticism

mpenguin1

Virgin Atlantic said Friday it has sacked 13 of its cabin staff after they criticised the airline and some of its passengers on social networking website Facebook.

The airline, controlled by Richard Branson's Virgin group, said the staff's behaviour was "totally inappropriate" and "brought the company into disrepute".

The action follows an investigation into the remarks posted on Facebook, which concerned planes flying from London's Gatwick airport and insulted passengers, as well as reportedly saying the planes were full of cockroaches.

http://www.physorg.com/news144732148.html

Virgin Atlantic said Friday it has sacked 13 of its cabin staff after they criticised the airline and some of its passengers on social networking website Facebook.

The airline, controlled by Richard Branson's Virgin group, said the staff's behaviour was "totally inappropriate" and "brought the company into disrepute".

The action follows an investigation into the remarks posted on Facebook, which concerned planes flying from London's Gatwick airport and insulted passengers, as well as reportedly saying the planes were full of cockroaches.

http://www.physorg.com/news144732148.html

haha, guess thats why i dont bash my company (online) haha

Stupid.

I mean, yeah, I'll throw my opinions out there about an airline, but I like to stick to the facts, instead of open ranting and name-calling. I've done it before on here and the company found out about it. They could have fired me, regardless of its truth. That's how it works here in the US, but I think my performance kept me in. If I was crap, I would've been gone...

I have a feeling the Virgin issue is more on the lines of employees being rude. I was just trying to point out what was going wrong. I see the former as stupid and the response to the latter by the company as stupid as well. You gotta be able to take criticism and do something with it, if it has merit.

Isn't this the same guy who fired some crews for "stealing his electricity" by charging their cellphones in the crew room?

Lesson? Be verrrry careful what you post on FaceBook and MySpace. I've heard of crew members being disciplined at several airlines for photos that were considered risque.

Lesson? Be verrrry careful what you post on FaceBook and MySpace. I've heard of crew members being disciplined at several airlines for photos that were considered risque.

Yup. Some FAs were disciplined for posting up pics of them on a plane, in uniform, in some not so professional (at least in this industry) poses.

I smell a Freedom of Speech lawsuit comming on. If they're "at will" employees then they can be axed for any reason, but if they're union they should fight it. Virgin created this for themselves, all this attention is brought about by their own actions, not the cabin crew's postings. :confused:

I smell a Freedom of Speech lawsuit comming on. If they're "at will" employees then they can be axed for any reason, but if they're union they should fight it. Virgin created this for themselves, all this attention is brought about by their own actions, not the cabin crew's postings. :confused:

They don't have constitutional protection here. It wasn't the government that shut them down.

got a link?

They probably deleted the photos after getting the axe. ;)

Crew manuals are pretty clear about not engaging in any behavior that may cause the company any embarrassment. Just like how we can't purchase alcohol while in uniform. Whether that's a "freedom of speech" issue or not, if you sign on to a career/company knowing the rules and you break them, well......I doubt the union can be of much help in a situation like this.

Poor AirTran.....

If you're going to post slutty pics of yourself online, don't do it in fully recognizable company uniform, and especially not pictures taken on company property! Duh!

Poor AirTran.....

If you're going to post slutty pics of yourself online, don't do it in fully recognizable company uniform, and especially not pictures taken on company property! Duh!

You consider those "slutty pics"?

Back