Viewing charts on iPhone

WildcatPilot

Anyone have any suggestions for viewing full enroute charts on the iPhone? I'm trying to find a way to store all the the IFR charts I'll need for flights in my local area on my iPhone. iPhoto, however, doesn't play well with PDFs. Any suggestions?

I know this might be a lot of work, but did you try to scan the file, email them to the phone ,then save them to the photo library then create your own library. The other option I can think of is find them on a website (in non PDF form) then save the picture to the iPhone library.

on a side note...This seems like a great idea, Never thought of that.:clap:

I downloaded the L27/28 PDFs from NACO and did the "send PDF to iPhoto" option. This converts it into a JPEG which is absolutely unreadable. It also seems to crop it for some reason. I've got a PDF viewer on my iPhone, but because I'm loading the entire enroute chart, it's almost unresponsive. I'm kicking around the idea of creating an EFB style iPhone app. I know nothing about programming or the FAA requirements for an EFB. If anyone is familiar with either of these topics, let me know!

I'm kicking around the idea of creating an EFB style iPhone app. I know nothing about programming or the FAA requirements for an EFB. If anyone is familiar with either of these topics, let me know!
Well, if you're going to try to market it to the smaller GA crowd, you may have a winner. Part 91 doesn't specifically require any charts on board. [Yes folks, I know the reg about having all information for the flight, but considering that Part 135 (and probably 121 but I'm not sure on that) specifically require aeronautical charts to be on board, you'd think it would be specifically spelled out...so spare me the debate.]

If you're looking to have an "acceptable" system for 135 operators, I don't think it'll catch on. Most operators going paperless are going completely paperless. That means some kind of AFM, GOM, MEL, International and RVSM manuals, yadda yadda...Performance, manifest recording, yadda yadda...all electronic copies on the EFB. I don't think you'd be able to fit all of that on an iphone. Plus the sreen is pretty small.

Back to part 91. These guys http://www.anywheremap.com/anywheremap-pda.aspx have had plates on pda's for a few years now. There's someone else that does it too, but I can't remember the company name. I had the other ones (the ones I can't remember) on my ipaq a while back (when I had an ipaq) and didn't care for it. But that's probably where I'd start.

Good luck!

-mini

Thanks mini! I wouldn't even know where to start for 121/135 stuff. The only reason I'm thinking about doing it is because it doesn't seem to exist yet and I'd really like one!

The iphone is cool and all but anyone shooting an app down to minimums using an iphone to display 1/8 of the chart at a time needs there head examined. Technology is cool when it makes your job easier not harder.

The iphone is cool and all but anyone shooting an app down to minimums using an iphone to display 1/8 of the chart at a time needs there head examined. Technology is cool when it makes your job easier not harder.

What if they displayed a full chart at 1/8 scale? :rotfl:

-mini

I agree with you. I see this more as a backup/supplement thing. I don't think I would ever trust anything enough to get me to not carry the real thing!

I agree with you. I see this more as a backup/supplement thing. I don't think I would ever trust anything enough to get me to not carry the real thing!
Can you print from an iphone?

Think:
Bluetooth battery printer under pilot's seat.

All of the sudden, "oh teh noez! Airport is crosed!!! Where do I goez!?"

*click*
*click*
*Click*

...all of a sudden you have paper plates for your diversion airport.

-mini

Email yourself the attatched charts as PDF's and once you've viewed them once (download), then you can continually view them from then on without having to be connected. Plus the quality is better and you're able to zoom in on them.

Jtsastre

Email yourself the attatched charts as PDF's and once you've viewed them once (download), then you can continually view them from then on without having to be connected. Plus the quality is better and you're able to zoom in on them.

Jtsastre

That works well for approach plates. Enroute charts are where I'm running into problems. The PDF for the full chart takes 20+ minutes to load to a readable level. I'm guessing I need to split them up into squares for individual viewing.

There is an app for it, I believe...

RD

The closest I've found is SkyCharts, but you can't download entire chart volumes or display enroute charts. You can cache sectionals and individual plates for later use. I want something that will allow me to download entire TPP volumes and enroute charts for offline use.

"What's the DA?"

Scroll...scroll...scroll...scroll..."Oh crap, old style chart!" Scroll...scroll...scroll...scroll..."Dang, overshot," scroll...scroll..."got it, not quite big enough," zoom...zoom..."aha! 29*CRUNCH*

"...and in other news, a Cirrus pilot and his two passengers died today because the pilot thought it would be a good idea to use his iSuck as a chart viewer."

Back