Viewing charts on iPhone

"What's the DA?"

Scroll...scroll...scroll...scroll..."Oh crap, old style chart!" Scroll...scroll...scroll...scroll..."Dang, overshot," scroll...scroll..."got it, not quite big enough," zoom...zoom..."aha! 29*CRUNCH*

"...and in other news, a Cirrus pilot and his two passengers died today because the pilot thought it would be a good idea to use his iSuck as a chart viewer."

I'm a die hard iPhone fan, and I gotta say, being able to just pick up my paper chart on a VFR day flight is enough. You might get the enroute chart into an iPhone, but not only will you have to scroll, scroll, scoll, but you'll have to zoom-zoom-zoom due to the small scale.

I never thought about using a kindle as an EFB but that's a good idea. I do know a local guitarist who uses a kindle for all his lyric sheets when he plays a club. Pretty ingenious, I thought.

We don't use the enroute function on our EFBs anymore. If we need a chart, we pull out the binder.

Jeppesen even tells you not to rely on the electronic representation of the enroute charts and to instead use the paper enroute/area charts.

Just something to consider.

-mini

We don't use the enroute function on our EFBs anymore. If we need a chart, we pull out the binder.

Jeppesen even tells you not to rely on the electronic representation of the enroute charts and to instead use the paper enroute/area charts.

Just something to consider.

-mini

Interesting to know. Thanks for all the input you all have given here. Keep it coming!

I've got no problem with carrying the charts. Like I said, I'd never trust any piece of electronics enough to risk stranding myself in the soup without paper copies. I just think it'd be cool to try to do.

Man. Am I the only one that is thinking "Just carry the damn chart."?

I was (kind of) thinking that. How in the world could a chart be readable on that phone. Far too small for my personal choice. :dunno:

...And what happens when the FAF is after and below when the CA "dings" the plane to turn off all electronic devices....:rotfl:
Go missed? Phht.

Just slam up the power and beg ATC for radar vectors. When that doesn't work declare emergency.

Man. Am I the only one that is thinking "Just carry the damn chart."?
Vs an iphone or PDA? Yep.

Vs an actual EFB? Not just no. Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeell no.

...though I do carry the enroute binder issued with jeppview.

I've got no problem with carrying the charts. Like I said, I'd never trust any piece of electronics enough to risk stranding myself in the soup without paper copies. I just think it'd be cool to try to do.
I thought I'd be the same way. I haven't printed a copy of the charts in ... a long time. I put the EFB into standby after I'm done with the SID and leave it that way until the arrival. Saves lots of battery life and works great.

Electronic representations aren't that bad, but I don't think I'd want to use a cell phone or pda unless it was my last option. In that event, I've already declared an emergency and had ATC read the procedure to me and I've made my own picture on a piece of scrap paper (whatever is laying around) and/or drawn the approach on the MFD.

-mini

can you print from an iphone?

Think:
Bluetooth battery printer under pilot's seat.

All of the sudden, "oh teh noez! Airport is crosed!!! Where do i goez!?"

*click*
*click*
*click*

...all of a sudden you have paper plates for your diversion airport.

-mini

brilliant!

There are now a couple different outfits supporting the Kindle and other platforms. Some are charging for it or will be in the near future. I like what PDF Plates has done the best. Their stuff will work on the Kindle, the Sony or a tablet. The best part is that they are a free service. I canceled my subscription service since I can get the same stuff from them for no cost.

I've also seen them on the Kindle DX and they are sweet. That display is huge and reads really good in sunlight.

-TC

Back