Video Shows U.S. Plane Avoid Colliding With Chinese War Jet

I will take that over a fighter jet.
DFF00653-6B3B-4F8E-BD97-B61DB8013A85.jpeg

Imagine all the work and effort to become a navy pilot and you get stuck on a Guppy :aghast:

I cannot possibly imagine this being my job in the military. Like, I share so much overhead panel nerdery with them now, but I am not one of them. Can you imagine doing V1 cuts in the military? Aint nobody got time for that. Don't you put that hate on me Ricky bobby. We don't get paid enough to think about climb segments. And this is an open thought, but I wonder where they get their takeoff/landing performance from. I know where we get it in the F/A-18......from a •ing chart, in a small pocket check list, and you use a pen/pencil which the width of the drawing device is twice as large as the difference between being a 52k jet and a 54k jet. You basically just have to make believe. And none of it really matters anyway. But in a 737 it does, and they don't have ACARS or dispatchers. Sounds gross

Last edited:
I cannot possibly imagine this being my job in the military. Like, I share so much overhead panel nerdery with them now, but I am not one of them. Can you imagine doing V1 cuts in the military? Aint nobody got time for that. Don't you put that hate on me Ricky bobby. We don't get paid enough to think about climb segments. And this is an open thought, but I wonder where they get their takeoff/landing performance from. I know where we get it in the F/A-18......from a •ing chart, in a small pocket check list, and you use a pen/pencil which the width of the drawing device is twice as large as the difference between being a 52k jet and a 54k jet. You basically just have to make believe. And none of it really matters anyway. But in a 737 it does, and they don't have ACARS or dispatchers. Sounds gross

Simple

Idle, boards, drag chute, hook, if aborting.

AB as necessary, rotate, gear, flaps, stores jett if necessary/safe/practical, if continue.

Simple

Idle, boards, drag chute, hook, if aborting.

AB as necessary, rotate, gear, flaps, stores jett if necessary/safe/practical, if continue.

You are surprisingly close to our TO Abort memory/boldface items (sans drag chute of course). The second one sounds nearly identical to our "loss of thrust on takeoff/landing" boldface as well, though slightly out of order :)

C40s, too.

I'm pretty sure there's a semi-famous Youtuber who flew F18s in a reserve squadron who never saw the boat either.

If he’s an original naval aviator who earned gold wings, he would’ve at least had to have seen the boat in a T-2/TA-4/T-45. The VP and VR folks, never see it.

If he’s an original naval aviator who earned gold wings, he would’ve at least had to have seen the boat in a T-2/TA-4/T-45. The VP and VR folks, never see it.
I think he's talking about C. Lemoine. He flew F-18s in the Navy Reserve after transferring from the F-16 in the Air Force Reserve (or Guard for either, I don't know).

Thanks for that video, the soundtrack makes it so much better. Would the presence of a lone C-130 onboard render an aircraft carrier impotent?
I would assume so. They had to clear the entire deck on the Forrestal for it. The Herk has a 132 ft wingspan. I don't know how wide say, the USS Ford is.

China released video taken from their plane. Nothing dramatic that I can tell.

Back