Very SAD. This makes me MAD!!

[ QUOTE ]
Hey FlyIllini, give me your address and I'll kick your roommate in the nads when I visit next. j/k. But seriously, yet another ROTC dude thinking he is "the shiznit."
mad.gif

Those were the types of attitudes I dealt with during my time in ROTC, which is why I chose to get out. Kinda rubs me the wrong way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree, what a dumbass. And FlyIllini, you can relay this back to your friend verbatim from me...a USAF active-duty Captain that has been where he could only dream to be, and still, I respect the job airline pilots do. Sure, it's good natured ribbing to call them bus drivers, but it's always done with the respect of knowing that they're highly trained and capable pilots who, though they may not share the exact risks that I do, have many risks inherent to their own job. BTW, how the hell would he be qualified to comment on either military flying or airline flying? Actual experience in either? I thought not.

BTW, ask dumbass why anyone in his right mind would want to be a General anyway? This dude is too stupid, and too green, for his own good. Nice e-mail response to make an ass out of yourself with.

Would it be a bad idea to take him out and shoot him??
even better tie him to the missile tip of a TomCat and drop him over SnotsDale?? hehe

I also agree. This guy sounds like the type that thinks he could out smart Einstein, but actually he couldn't find his ass with two hands and a flashlight. While I have neither flown (YET) nor driven a bus, I think it requires a might bit more skill to keep something that only is considered heavy when it weighs 250,000 lbs or more in the sky than it takes to keep a bus from running something over.
shocked.gif

Sounds like your ROTC buddy has a good dose of pilot envy. Some ROTC guy with a pilot slot probably stole his girlfriend! D'oh!

Tell him that as long as he doesn't comment about my job, I won't comment about him carrying a 'guidon', painting rocks in front of the detachment building or his breathless attempts at joining the Arnold Air Society.

Besides, this busdriver gets paid, baby.

So I sat here for the last 10 minutes writing out a more thoughtful response, but nevermind. Tell him to go buy the book, "9 minutes, 20 seconds." Then he can get back to us on this issue.

[ QUOTE ]
Sounds like your ROTC buddy has a good dose of pilot envy.

[/ QUOTE ]Yup. Besides, there's little worse than being a non-rated puke in the AIR Force. Who wouldn't rather be a glorified bus driver than sit in a hole in the ground waiting for a day that will never come to turn a key?

My point wasn't saying or degrading what a pilot does. It was just reinforcing the fact that after your training, however long or short it may last, people carriers(airlines) fly people from Point A to Point B. Pilots do have a lot on their hands, but in the end it's still Point A to Point B.
Believe me, there is no denying the road from student pilot to ATP pilot and all of an aircraft's complexity. More average joes couldn't hack it than those that won't endure the training. But once the training, checkrides, etc. are said and done, I'll lean towards the bus driver analogy.

I wish that one day I can be a pilot and pilots do deserve more kudos in the pockets and applause area, but once again, in the end it's still point to point.

P.S. - OK. I'm done on this topic. Now I'm sounding like I want you to think what I think
grin.gif

Yeah, most of the ROTC guys I've met are kind of cocky... don't know why though. My roommate and I give each other lots of crap over aviation vs. Air Force ROTC but mostly it's in good fun.

What does he do in ROTC? Some days he drops eggs from a ladder while I get to practice shooting ILS approaches in actual conditions at a very busy class C airport. I know what's more fun and rewarding... and he knows it too
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Who wouldn't rather be a glorified bus driver than sit in a hole in the ground waiting for a day that will never come to turn a key?

[/ QUOTE ]

TURN YOUR KEY, SIR!!
laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
TURN YOUR KEY, SIR!!
laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]Heh....I remember that scene, just can't remember the flick....

I always thought those blue fatigues were pretty cool--one reason I'm glad dark blue BDUs are now an option for CAP'ers.

Speaking of cheesy AF movies, Mike, you ever see "Red Flag: The Ultimate Game"? "I just can't bear to think of them sitting in the cockpit, sweating in their flightsuits..." Gag me. I thought Bill Devane played a good fighter pilot, tho.
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
TURN YOUR KEY, SIR!!
laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]Heh....I remember that scene, just can't remember the flick....

I always thought those blue fatigues were pretty cool--one reason I'm glad dark blue BDUs are now an option for CAP'ers.

Speaking of cheesy AF movies, Mike, you ever see "Red Flag: The Ultimate Game"? "I just can't bear to think of them sitting in the cockpit, sweating in their flightsuits..." Gag me. I thought Bill Devane played a good fighter pilot, tho.
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it was War Games that had the ICBM silo scene in the beginning.

Gawd...Red Flag the movie....cheesy as hell. Bill Devane actually did seem to play the part of the cocky 80s post-Vietnam fighter pilot. If I remember correctly, he was the F-5 aggressor pilot. There also was the cocky WSO Lt.....Heinz, I think his name was.

[ QUOTE ]
Gawd...Red Flag the movie....cheesy as hell. Bill Devane actually did seem to play the part of the cocky 80s post-Vietnam fighter pilot. If I remember correctly, he was the F-5 aggressor pilot. There also was the cocky WSO Lt.....Heinz, I think his name was.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wasn't that the one where Barry Bostwick had the secret maneuver that every other pilot was trying to figure out?

I just remember it had F-4s, which didn't make it as cool as Top Gun.

Still, it did have REAL airplanes, which made it INFINITELY better than any of the Iron Eagle movies...

Does that make piloting different than any job that you could hold? Seriously.

Get all the degrees and education, and then what do you do when you're working as an engineer, accountant, or virtually any job?

You're sitting there, punching things in on a computer, and letting the computer do most of the work.

So a pilot programs the FMS and lets it take over once he gets to cruise. Is that any different?

The difference is that if you screw up a spreadsheet or something like that, nobody dies.

Back