Very SAD. This makes me MAD!!

F16Flyer

http://airliners.net/discussions/general_aviation/read.main/1200145/

Read some of the nonsense replies the people are saying. Makes me sick.

Comparing a bus driver, to a pilot. Guve me a freaking break. It's almost insulting.

BTW - A pilot, flying for the majors (regional pilots really don't count, pay is hardly nothing) deserves every single penny. No matter how nice and pretty it is that day, or how dark and gloomy it is another.

How about we just throw the average Joe into the cockpit and see what those who think pilots are overpaid have to say.

Some say airline pilots are very much over paid..... my reply is very simple actually... Al Haynes.

The thing most people don't realize is when a 747 pilot is hand flying that thing he's got 400 lives in his hands and even more on the ground. He!! after putting in 40,000 dollars worth of training they should get paid well.

EXACTLY, I don't think that most of these clowns have a clue how much a person literally goes through the become an airline pilot. It's not some thing were you wake up, file an application, and starting training in a week. You have to spend countless hours studying, spending money, saving money, building hours, submitting an application every three months, and getting a degree. It's tough, but pilots are people are have a passion to do something, which... is fly. They deserve the money they are paid, no matter what.

Well I only read about a third of it, I didn't need to go farther. People generally get paid based on the amount of money they put in to get their job. When I take my son to the doctor, he gets weighed, and gets a few shots, and the bill is $300 I get a little irritated and think doctors are over paid. When I found out that the CEO of an insurance company got a 4 million dollar bonus in addition to his salary, that seemed over paid. When I hear about lawyers making millions of other people who were victims, well you see where I am going. It seems like a lot of people get paid a lot of money for a lot of jobs, but if you consider the amount of money they put into their education, the hours, the stress, the endurance, well then they deserve it.

I don't think that a 2 year college student who got mostly C's and partied every night should get the same income as a pilot who put in thousands of hours to build time, in addition to thousands of dollars, and the amount of stuff you have to know to do your job is a lot more then most jobs I can think of. Using weather as an arguement?? That's pointless. You still have to have the same knowledge regardless of what the weather is. To say you only earn your income in bad weather? You knew when you took off what you need to do in bad weather and just because you don't encounter it for that trip should not mean you did not earn that money.

Firefighters know how to deal with major situations but mostly get calls to get cats out of a tree, should they only be paid a full salary when they have to take the life threatening calls? Ok well I am just rambling a lot right now, but crap, there are more important things to worry about then if pilots are over paid. If you think they are over paid, then drive.

I would like to know though, why the person that is down the street directing traffic through a construction zone is making more then I did as an insurance agent. What training did he have to go through? What schooling do you need for that? That would be an example of someone who is over paid.

ZZZZzzzzZZZ....Weve seen this before.
Everyone thinks they are underpaid and overworked, and they think everyone else is overpaid and not working hard enough. Simple as that.

And PS, if it didn't cost a lot to become a pilot can you imagine how flooded the field would be prospectives? So even though I would sure love it be free, I understand the need for it to be an expensive choice of career.

I would not worry about it - everyone is overpaid and underwork apart from the person complaining. But it is easy to see why people would think pilots are overpaid, it looks like a pretty damn good gig, until you live it.

I have a solution for you....stop going to anet. Worked for me.

"....got mostly C's and partied every night should get the same income as a pilot who put in thousands of hours to build time"

Funny, when I was at ERAU I got mostly C's and partied every night while putting in the hours to build time...hehe...

[ QUOTE ]
Funny, when I was at ERAU I got mostly C's and partied every night while putting in the hours to build time...hehe...

[/ QUOTE ]
He he... same thing for me and law school. A friend's father (very successful atty at big D.C. law firm) used to tell us that those who make A's in law school go into academia, those who make B's become judges, and those who make C's earn all the money. His point was it's just as important to get out, have fun, enjoy your life, and develop some social skills that you won't acquire sitting in the library every night...
grin.gif

What do you call the med. student who graduated last in his class?

Doctor.

On the other hand, I got good grades through-out my schooling and it hasn't paid off yet.

Overpaid Flagperson

[ QUOTE ]
I would like to know though, why the person that is down the street directing traffic through a construction zone is making more then I did as an insurance agent. What training did he have to go through? What schooling do you need for that? That would be an example of someone who is over paid.

[/ QUOTE ]

That flag person (many are female) is controlling life and death situations every day - safety of the driving public and highway construction workers (over 1,200 are killed in the U.S. annually).

Flagpersons require initial and continuing training and must be certified for the job. Their pay rate is established by Federal or State law and is at the lowest end of the scale.

It is a dangerous, thankless job, so next time you approach one - " Give Em a Brake".

Hold up. Think about it before emotions and the like spit out. It all comes down to simple supply and demand mixed in with the competitiveness of this economy.
Basically, there are alot of pilots out there capable or trainable to fly for an airline. Plus with the competitiveness amongst airlines somebody has to be the sacrificial lamb in the wages department.
Would pro ball players be making millions if the demand weren't so great? If you think so, look at the WNBA and the now defunct women's soccer league. Then again, the NFL, NBA, and MBL has less expensive overhead, maintenance, etc than airlines just to get its product going.
Face it, a bus driver takes a person/people from point A to point B. A pilot may have more responsibilities but he/she does the same thing. I work helpdesk/technical support, I may have more responsibilities but I'm like a technical customer service rep.
Boy I could go on and on about why pilots aren't compensated in relation to their training/learning investments, but I'll leave it alone. One of my favorite sayings is "No one has invented a one-sided pancake", thus there is a flip-side to everything. Take a look at the flip-side, it might be right or it might be dead wrong, but most of the time it is worth looking at.
wink.gif

Re: Overpaid Flagperson

Hey, didn't mean to offend anyone. My point was that they don't spend $60K on an education, yet still make $20 an hour.

[ QUOTE ]
Read some of the nonsense replies the people are saying. Makes me sick.

Comparing a bus driver, to a pilot. Guve me a freaking break. It's almost insulting.

BTW - A pilot, flying for the majors (regional pilots really don't count, pay is hardly nothing) deserves every single penny. No matter how nice and pretty it is that day, or how dark and gloomy it is another.

How about we just throw the average Joe into the cockpit and see what those who think pilots are overpaid have to say.

[/ QUOTE ] Cory Klimko, excuse me if I'm wrong here but weren't your first posts on JC about how you would fly for free? You've come along way and it's good to see.

Just to clarify a point that is mostly ignored here.

Any pilot, on matter what he/she flys 747 -152 400 pax or one has no more responsibility than the other.

If, in either extreme of aircraft, the pilot keeps him/her self alive the rest of the pax will most likely be safe.

So we all in reality have only one person to worry about.

That being said.

Pilots do not get paid for what they do.

Pilots get paid for what they CAN do when things go wrong.

Pardon me a min. while I don my nomex.

[ QUOTE ]
I have a solution for you....stop going to anet. Worked for me.

"....got mostly C's and partied every night should get the same income as a pilot who put in thousands of hours to build time"

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree. Consider the source of the info....a bunch of aviation photo and flight sim yahoos that think they know aviation.

[ QUOTE ]
Hey, didn't mean to offend anyone. My point was that they don't spend $60K on an education, yet still make $20 an hour.

[/ QUOTE ]

Michelle:

No offense taken. I was just trying to point out how someone could make an uninformed judgement/statement about any issue, whether it be pilots, flagpersons or the price of tea in China.

I agree with you 110% on the return on investment for professional pilots, but still stand my ground on flagpersons. When I'm the guy in the highway construction work zone, it's my opinion they don't get paid nearly enough to risk their life to protect mine.

Now, let's '''stop the madness" and get back to talking about flying machines and pilotpersons .

Regards,
Jeff
smile.gif

You are very right. It is easy to look at a job and think it must be easy. Now the person that picka up my garbage totally deserves what ever he/she is being paid! LOL.

[ QUOTE ]
Cory Klimko, excuse me if I'm wrong here but weren't your first posts on JC about how you would fly for free? You've come along way and it's good to see. [ QUOTE ]

You betcha.

Truth is, I was down in San Deigo, a few weeks ago at a family BBQ, a friend my my parents came with his family. He is/was a United 737 FO, and was about to get kicked. He really got down to the dirty stuff, and told me things about the execs, and their fatty paychecks, how they took paycuts... etc.. etc..., in the end he said to me... "Cory, I believe more than anything that the pride is worth more than the paycheck... but... it's still a job." Simple as that... it's a job that pays the bills, feeds the kids, etc, that, I can see now. A job, and nothing but a job. He went on to tell me that... no matter what they do to you, whether it is a pay cut, or lost pension, they can never take away that one tiny detail... your outlook on your job.

So to me, I've come to see, that if I'm going to spend thousands of dollars, countless hours studying, 5-10 years making little to nothing. You damn well bet, I'm going to get every single penny back. Those condesending nimrod executives aren't going to take advantage of me.

Back