Vegetable Gardens, sharing tips and what you are planting.

Re: Vegetable Gardens, sharing tips and what you are plantin

Anybody planting this winter, I am gonna try to plant Garlic in Februry and start my sweet potato shoots sometime in december so they will be nice and long by April to go in the ground. With all the tomatoes and and peppers I was overhelmed with this year I am only going to do a few of each next year in a small corner of the garden. I want to do a large portion of garlic, cucumbers and squash, maybe some zuchini and watermelon as well. Mostly vining plants. Anyone down south plant garlic, I tried a couple of cloves last summer but I think I planted them to late in the year. Just wondering if you do anything to it before planting, Last year I just bought some from the grocery store and broke it, let it sit on the counter until is sprouted and then planted it.

This is our spring season....so I'm planting just about anything that will deal with a bit of frost...and some tulips from Amsterdam :)

Just got two new planters this morning. Trying to get a huge greens garden this "winter". Not that Socal really has winter.

I can post and here and know something?? Great!! I live in Orlando aka MCO ...have collards, three type of tomatoes, pole beans, broc, and just cut the most amazing pineapple ever that was over a year wait.

With upgrade I am not gonna have an awesome schedule by next spring so in order to keep from "giving my wife another chore to do when I am gone" I think I am just going to do a couple of tomato plants, some bell peppers and a whole bunch of sweet potatos... By the time I dig the potatoes next fall the new baby on the way will be about 5 months old and will soon be ready to eat semi solids... Talk about good timing. I will probably do greens next fall when everything from the summer is up. With the Captain pay I will finally be able to get the cub cadet tiller I have been eyeing too.

Looking on Craigs List for tillers last year there are a lot of adds, I mean hundreds, around nashville about people wanting other people to till their gardens. I figure if I charge an avg of $50 per garden, depending on size of course, it wont take long at all to pay for it.

With upgrade I am not gonna have an awesome schedule by next spring so in order to keep from "giving my wife another chore to do when I am gone" I think I am just going to do a couple of tomato plants, some bell peppers and a whole bunch of sweet potatos... By the time I dig the potatoes next fall the new baby on the way will be about 5 months old and will soon be ready to eat semi solids... Talk about good timing. I will probably do greens next fall when everything from the summer is up. With the Captain pay I will finally be able to get the cub cadet tiller I have been eyeing too.

Looking on Craigs List for tillers last year there are a lot of adds, I mean hundreds, around nashville about people wanting other people to till their gardens. I figure if I charge an avg of $50 per garden, depending on size of course, it wont take long at all to pay for it.

Damn, lots of congrats in order!

Congrats and enjoy being a father, it is amazing. Congrats on the upgrade, enjoy the new view and the added pay! Then com till my back yard up here in PA! ha

On the sweet potato front, great choice for first solids. Boil them then use the water to make the mash to retain the nutrients lost to boiling. They are also great first finger food, baked then cubed.

Damn, lots of congrats in order!

Congrats and enjoy being a father, it is amazing. Congrats on the upgrade, enjoy the new view and the added pay! Then com till my back yard up here in PA! ha

On the sweet potato front, great choice for first solids. Boil them then use the water to make the mash to retain the nutrients lost to boiling. They are also great first finger food, baked then cubed.

Oh yeah, this will be baby #2 I know the drill. Good thoughs on using the extra water to make mash. If I can figure out how to get a 280lb tiller through airport security and on the back of an RJ to EWR and you supply with a ride I will gladly till for you

Oh yeah, this will be baby #2 I know the drill. Good thoughs on using the extra water to make mash. If I can figure out how to get a 280lb tiller through airport security and on the back of an RJ to EWR and you supply with a ride I will gladly till for you

Nice! The ride I can supply, dress it up like a stroller, put your kids on top of it and roll it through security. Tell them it is a powered baby stroller and dont mind the torn up floors left in its wake, it is a prototype and you are still perfecting.

Nice! The ride I can supply, dress it up like a stroller, put your kids on top of it and roll it through security. Tell them it is a powered baby stroller and dont mind the torn up floors left in its wake, it is a prototype and you are still perfecting.

You know, with most of the TSA employees that just might work...

What's a vegetable? Does pizza count? What about ketchup covered in french fries?

Anybody planting this winter, I am gonna try to plant Garlic in Februry and start my sweet potato shoots sometime in december so they will be nice and long by April to go in the ground. With all the tomatoes and and peppers I was overhelmed with this year I am only going to do a few of each next year in a small corner of the garden. I want to do a large portion of garlic, cucumbers and squash, maybe some zuchini and watermelon as well. Mostly vining plants. Anyone down south plant garlic, I tried a couple of cloves last summer but I think I planted them to late in the year. Just wondering if you do anything to it before planting, Last year I just bought some from the grocery store and broke it, let it sit on the counter until is sprouted and then planted it.

I started garlic last month on the West side of my house (with not too much sun) and it is going gang-busters. I am basically following along with TheBayouGardner.com. He also starts onion in the winter and thins them out into rows in early spring(?)

Beets, cabbage, collards, potatos doing well. I have some tomatos that are producing as well.

I am very suprised by the garlic, as I have planted it in the past, but it turns out that I was planting it at the wrong time of year. Live and learn :)

Enjoy that Florida weather, you can pretty much plant year round.

Yes!, BUT--what I have learned is that there is a season to plant some things, which used to be a misconception on my part. My "thinking" was that you planted everything in the spring--once--and then harvested later; kinda like hitting 'popcorn' on the microwave.

It does not work like that!

That was a wonderful lesson to learn and now, I am actually producing food!.

Not in FL it doesn't. In TN, with the exception of things like carrots, greens, onions, and garlic, everything goes in the spring. Your planting season is so versatile down there. I am sometime jealous.

Got my sweet potatoes rooting now. 8 in total, hopefully I will have shoots rooted by May so I can get them in the ground for a full growing season.

Odd story...

So today my wife tests the soil in the backyard garden and informs me that we need to pick up nutrients for the soil. We walk into the local nursery and she reads off her list to the employee. "I would like 22 ounces of nitrogen at 21%, 16 ounces of phosphate at 18%...." The employee's eyes got really big and he walked away, saying that he'd need to get his manager to help us. My wife knows nothing of the composition of explosives and didn't understand what she had just requested. It wasn't until I reminded her of the trouble caused by Timothy McVeigh that she understood the problem. Well, the employee returns to us laughing. I won't quote the employee, but his boss had asked him what our ethnicity was. The nursery didn't have what we were looking for.

So here's my question. The Ferry-Morse soil test instructs the gardener to add chemicals that you apparently need a special license to acquire. If I can't obtain the ingredients recommended by Ferry-Morse, what's the best alternative?

Btw, I'll be calling Ferry-Morse tomorrow for their recommendation.

Back