"Vectors"

MikeD

Administrator
Staff member
Am moving stuff from my garage, and in the process, and finding alot of old memoribilia that brings back some very good memories. I already posted in the Aviation Humor section about my books from aviation cartoonist Bob Stevens. Now, I've found many of the old Flying magazines that my dad used to get delivered from the 1970s until the 2000s. My absolute favorite column to read was "Vectors" by Braniff Capt Len Morgan (ret) who passed away in 2005 of cancer. I was reminded of a post in 2005 on JC here, just a month following his death. Am still in awe of not only his service in the military as a pilot, but of his 33 year career at the then-proud legacy carrier Braniff, starting in the DC-3, and finishing in the 747. Here's a story of Len's checkout flight in the 747. By strange coincidence....the 747-122 Len Morgan flew on this checkout flight in 1970, N4713U, is the same ill-fated 747-122 that became United 811 on the night of 24 Feb 1989, where a failed cargo door blew out east of Hawaii, taking 9 passengers to their deaths.

Len Morgan, Flying Magazine contributing Editor and author of the popular column "Vectors" is a former Braniff Airlines 747 Captain. United Airlines provided training for Braniff's early crews. Len's checkout as copilot departed from Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) at sunset. Captain Morgan traded his 4 stripes in command of the Boeing 707-320 series for the chance to be copilot on Braniff's first 747 trip. The then-brand new Jumbo Jet N4713U had less than 100 hours TT that evening when they were dispatched from Gate 76

In his final Vectors article for Flying magazine, Morgan closed his years of writing with a simple: "'So, good friends, it was good knowing all of you. Goodbye, wherever you are."

MikeD said:
Just noticed this. Len Morgan, late WWII pilot and 33 year Braniff pilot, and great writer for Flying magazine (back when it was more than glossy ads for flight academies), passed a about 2 months ago. Just found this small obituary about his life. For most of you here, you're too young to remember his writings, but they were fabulous works of aviation literature that I grew up reading from Dad's issues of Flying from the 70s and 80s. Today, apart from the glossy ads, all there is in Flying is articles by Richard Collins about C-210 this and C-210 that, blah, blah.

A very sad time for aviation with Len's passing..........

A. G. Leonard (“Len”) Morgan, 82, died March 11, 2005 in Palm Harbor, Florida. He is survived by Margaret May Morgan, his beloved wife of 61 years, a son, Terry Len Morgan of North Carolina, a daughter, Juliet Kathryn Morgan of Palm Harbor, Florida, a brother, Michael John Morgan of Birmingham, Alabama, two grandsons, three granddaughters and two great granddaughters. Morgan was born in Indiana and educated in Georgia and Kentucky. After graduation from high school he enlisted for pilot training in the Royal Canadian Air Force and arrived in England a week after the Pearl Harbor attack. He transferred to the United States Army Air Forces in Egypt and flew Air Transport Command routes in Africa and the Middle East. Upon return to the States in 1943 he was an instructor at Reno Army Air Base. Following the war he served with the 123rd Fighter Group, Kentucky Air National Guard. In 1949 he began a 33-year career with Braniff International Airways at Dallas, Texas, during which time he flew domestic and international routes as well as on military charters to the Far East during the Vietnam War. Morgan wrote hundreds of articles on aviation topics, authored and/or published more than 30 books and was a contributing editor of FLYING magazine. Len requested that no funeral or memorial service be held. The family requests that memorial donations be made to the Salvation Army.

The following is from Len Morgan's Daughter:

I rode with my Dad on his final flight yesterday, March 24th. We took off out of Clearwater Airpark around 1425 on Runway 16. My friend and fellow pilot asked which direction we were going and I said due west. The Gulf of Mexico connects two of Dad's favorite homes, Texas and Florida. The thirty-four years in Texas were his best times, but he settled into the sunny days of Florida for the last fifteen years and grew to love it.

My daughter, Morgan, was our backseat pilot. She adored her grandfather and had spent every other weekend for the last year coming home to see him from the east coast of Florida. She was with him when he passed away and did not want to miss his final flight.

The skies were overcast but the ceiling was 8000'. It took us only a couple of minutes before we were flying over the intercoastal waterway and into the vastness of the Gulf. I held Dad on my lap for the last part of his journey and told him again what a wonderful man he was. I silently said the Lord's Prayer and we slowed the plane down to 60 kts. With Morgan holding the window open, I kissed him goodbye and released him.

The final journey of my Dad, Len Morgan, has been completed. I hope he knows that his wife and daughter and my two daughters thought he was a giant of a man.

Rest in peace, Dad.

Kathy Morgan

Attachments

• Len.jpg
    Len.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 72
Loved Len Morgans column and I loved Bax Seat - also liked Peter Garrison's columns about airplane design and his Aftermath columns.

Edit - MikeD - do you remember the column Len Morgan wrote about his interview with Braniff - he was in the ANG then and had access to a Mustang - flew it from somewhere (Kentucky maybe?) to Dallas to his inteview for Braniff. I am pretty sure that today, if you get called for an interview and showed up on the airlines ramp in a P-51 it would be a nice ice-breaker in the interview.

Loved Len Morgans column and I loved Bax Seat - also liked Peter Garrison's columns about airplane design and his Aftermath columns.

Edit - MikeD - do you remember the column Len Morgan wrote about his interview with Braniff - he was in the ANG then and had access to a Mustang - flew it from somewhere (Kentucky maybe?) to Dallas to his inteview for Braniff. I am pretty sure that today, if you get called for an interview and showed up on the airlines ramp in a P-51 it would be a nice ice-breaker in the interview.

I do. Man....the things that could be done back in the day. Yeah, Morgan was flying with the Ky ANG, if I remember right. Heck, even that would've been a great gig......traditional Guardsman flying a Mustang on the weekends?

Whats sad is talking to the occasional SJS regional guy I run into, and in the course of conversation, mention something about Len Morgan, and something he said about airlines stuff; and get the "Who's that?" question from them. To me, Morgan's writings should be required reading for 121 guys in the same realm that Fate is the Hunter is. The knowledge and wisdom in Morgan's writings is far more than I could ever hope to have......or anyone anymore could hope to have these days with the way aviation is going.

I do. Man....the things that could be done back in the day. Yeah, Morgan was flying with the Ky ANG, if I remember right. Heck, even that would've been a great gig......traditional Guardsman flying a Mustang on the weekends?

Whats sad is talking to the occasional SJS regional guy I run into, and in the course of conversation, mention something about Len Morgan, and something he said about airlines stuff; and get the "Who's that?" question from them. To me, Morgan's writings should be required reading for 121 guys in the same realm that Fate is the Hunter is. The knowledge and wisdom in Morgan's writings is far more than I could ever hope to have......or anyone anymore could hope to have these days with the way aviation is going.

Agreed. And Bob Buck and Dave Gwinn were also great (and just passed away). Bob Buck was Chief Pilot at TWA starting in 1945 and gave my Grandpa his first competency checks in a DC-3 after he had been on the line for 6 months or so. Dave Gwinn was in the training center at TWA when my Grandpa was there. Both Buck and Gwinn wrote good stuff too.

Back